How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Barnaby is a bright Purple I guess
Keep it up Wonka
Keepuusing white examples of why xenophobia is cool
When do you think this was put in and what was its primary purpose?

Its been an acknowledged problem for 40 years at least but no appetite to fix the s**t even after multiple reviews and recommendations

South Vietnam does not exist. How can she be a citizen of a country that does not exist?

Vietnam specifically rewrote their citizenship laws in 2008 to acknowledge that all Vietnamese are Vietnamese.

1653483303491.png

1653483324712.png

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Keep it up Wonka

Its been an acknowledged problem for 40 years at least but no appetite to fix the s**t even after multiple reviews and recommendations
Section 44?
Its engraved in the constitution and cannot be changed without a referendum.

I would expect every winning candidate is gone through with a fine tooth comb by the losing side.

Im not saying 'its cool' btw.
I dislike Keneally with a passion and would be very happy with a Labor minority needing a Green vote.

Im just commenting on what is occuring.
My main contenion is Le is extremely foolish for not making 100% sure she was good to go and with a stack of paperwork to prove it.

"The AEC accepted my application" is probably the dumbest thing said by a polly this election and that's up against some pretty stiff competition.

The Greens will need to present a sensible alterative.

I'd suggest the vast majority agree with the current turn back position. Its tough, but the reasons are clear. Less people will die or get ripped off by criminals.

The other side of it is we need to do better in processing people who need asylum.

So Greens, show us what you've got.
mehI don't actually care if people are stupid/ desperate enough to die or to fork over money to criminals. Thats a choice on them. I don't accept that I should feel responsible for their choices when they don't impact on myself
now once they arrive, different kettle of fish, need to worry if they have infectious diseases, whether they can work and pay taxes, that sort of thing

Keep it up Wonka

its primary purpose is because we don't trust any damn dual citizens/ foreign citizens (with an odd exception for the UK)
i hate dual citizenship fwiw. Pick a country damnit.

its primary purpose is because we don't trust any damn dual citizens/ foreign citizens (with an odd exception for the UK)
we let the the other country decide if someone is a citizen though which removes the agency of the person

again with exception to the UK which kind of tells you when, how, and why this rule was put in place

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
If countries didn't charge such brutal fees for Visa's then no drama's. But as someone who has spent thousands of pounds on Visa's, dual citizenship is the only way out of Visa hell.

Vietnam specifically rewrote their citizenship laws in 2008 to acknowledge that all Vietnamese are Vietnamese.

View attachment 1408772

View attachment 1408773

So if they can claim people who don't want to be there, who else can they claim?
If they suggest that they also grant citizenship to everyone in Australia does that force us all to be citizens?

Our idiot law places people under the power of foreign powers, when we should have a process to decide for our self.

we let the the other country decide if someone is a citizen though which removes the agency of the person

again with exception to the UK which kind of tells you when, how, and why this rule was put in place
well the when was we still viewed ourselves as part of the Empire

Achy Blakey Heart

Premium Platinum
Jun 29, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Celtics,Red Sox,Patriots,Dragons,
Well it didn’t take long for the shallow platitudes to shine through. Albo and co for days been talking up how they are going to change the face of politics and make sure the public falls in love with politics again.

Plibersek comes out and starts calling Dutton ‘Voldemort’ publically due to his physical appearance and that he will scare children. I thought they weren’t allowed to poke fun at each other about physics appearence/dress after the Gillard era? Or does that just apply to women?
How would we feel if Dutton came out and started calling Tania ‘Plibershrek’?

And then running a smear campaign against Dai Le already. FFS. Cut this s**t out.

Seriously Labor. Be better don’t just say you will be better. We are all counting on you to walk your talk and not just run your mouth again.

Last edited:
While it could be used that way, it's been applied to tons of people.

Whether or not the basis of the check by an individual was for racist ends, it's still the law.

I'd guess that every new MP is being checked by opposing parties.

Your last sentence is bang on.

I'd bet my house that first thing Monday morning someone at the libs and someone at the alp had the fun job of reviewing EVERY declaration for every successful new candidate.

Do we honestly think the libs didn't do this for Ryan Daniels and the rest of the teals? For Ananda-Rajah in Higgins?

It's not about race, it's about being non compliant. And it's just another tool parties will use to boot candidates of their opposition (same as running the check of bankruptcy status or past criminal charges).

There is an easy fix, give the AEC power to investigate and approve candidates, but that creates the smell of govt approved candidates like in HK and Russia.

Honestly not sure what the best solution is to stop this happening before the vote.

Section 44 is long overdue for reform.

Having to defend yourself against a country you weren't born in and never lived in imposing citizenship on you twice, is probably a good example of nationality being a poor indicator of having an allegiance to a foreign power.

It was easy when we prohibited dual citizenship

As I've said before, my frustration is how many polis continue to be exposed to this - it's not ******* hard to check, yet it seems many don't. I have general issues with the poor candidate vetting however, too many are approved who get shot down week one with minimal backgrounding by opposition and media

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
It’s both possible that the issue was first raised by bitter (and potentially racist) ALP supporters, and that she’s in a spot of bother.

I have no issue with Dai Le and am no fan of Kenneally (I imagine if there’s a by-election, she wouldn’t run because the backlash could be even greater), I just acknowledge that declarations to the AEC aren’t worth as much as people think and they are don’t prevent her from being in trouble.
A bit of common sense! Thank you.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Section 44?
Its engraved in the constitution and cannot be changed without a referendum.

I would expect every winning candidate is gone through with a fine tooth comb by the losing side.

Im not saying 'its cool' btw.
I dislike Keneally with a passion and would be very happy with a Labor minority needing a Green vote.

Im just commenting on what is occuring.
My main contenion is Le is extremely foolish for not making 100% sure she was good to go and with a stack of paperwork to prove it.

"The AEC accepted my application" is probably the dumbest thing said by a polly this election and that's up against some pretty stiff competition.
Another bit of common sense!

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
duck sake dude it was a boomer on twitter that started this
And duck sake it was a nerd barrister whose hobby is researching constitutional law that had Ludlam and Waters and all the others disqualified.

But you don't think the disqualify people who were born overseas doesn't lend itself to racist attacks on people who aren't white?

Oh you're not white, lets see where you were born and try and disqualify you
Of course that might happen.

But that means you’re saying we can’t investigate irregularities in Dai Le’s declaration BECAUSE she’s Vietnamese.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Well it didn’t take long for the shallow platitudes to shine through. Albo and co for days been talking up how they are going to change the face of politics and make sure the public falls in love with politics again.

Plibersek comes out and starts calling Dutton ‘Voldemort’ publically due to his physical appearance and that he will scare children. I thought they weren’t allowed to poke fun at each other about physics appearence/dress after the Gillard era? Or does that just apply to women?
How would we feel if Dutton came out and started calling Tania ‘Plibershrek’?

And then running a smear campaign against Dai Le already. FFS. Cut this s**t out.

Seriously Labor. Be better don’t just say you will be better. We are all counting on you to walk your talk and not just run your mouth again.
I dunno, we gave the Coalition close to a decade.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
duck sake dude it was a boomer on twitter that started this
And what does this even mean? Boomers are disqualified from participating in politics? (Sounds kinda…. ageist, don’t you think?)

And Twitter is not a valid forum for raising political concerns? Well you’re Robinson Crusoe there mate.

And what does this even mean? Boomers are disqualified from participating in politics? (Sounds kinda…. ageist, don’t you think?)

And Twitter is not a valid forum for raising political concerns? Well you’re Robinson Crusoe there mate.

I guess that explains the USA President.
Most of the other candidates were probably in the "Boomer " category.
Luckily for them their pres predated Boomers.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Personally the fact that it was some older person (who lets be honest are more prone to racism and racist stereotypes) raising it on twitter (which isnt exactly an official forum for a complain of its nature) indicates that theres probably some racism to it.

It can be both a perfectly legitimate concern and born of racist stereotyping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back