• This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Personally the fact that it was some older person (who lets be honest are more prone to racism and racist stereotypes) raising it on twitter (which isnt exactly an official forum for a complain of its nature) indicates that theres probably some racism to it.
I personally don’t do Twitter, but heaps of scandals have broken on there.

And the initial flurry of s44 cases in 2017-18 was also raised by an older guy. Was he automatically racist in his motivation?
It can be both a perfectly legitimate concern and born of racist stereotyping
Absolutely agree.

My issue is with the poster INSISTING it is racially-driven, solely because Dai Le is Vietnamese.

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
we let the the other country decide if someone is a citizen though which removes the agency of the person

again with exception to the UK which kind of tells you when, how, and why this rule was put in place

Your last sentence is bang on.

I'd bet my house that first thing Monday morning someone at the libs and someone at the alp had the fun job of reviewing EVERY declaration for every successful new candidate.

Do we honestly think the libs didn't do this for Ryan Daniels and the rest of the teals? For Ananda-Rajah in Higgins?

It's not about race, it's about being non compliant. And it's just another tool parties will use to boot candidates of their opposition (same as running the check of bankruptcy status or past criminal charges).

There is an easy fix, give the AEC power to investigate and approve candidates, but that creates the smell of govt approved candidates like in HK and Russia.

Honestly not sure what the best solution is to stop this happening before the vote.

I'm of the view that a simple attestation that the candidate has renounced all known claims to citizenship of a foreign power, and that should any hitherto unknown eligibility come to light it too shall be renounced should be sufficient.

Then you can allow the AEC to vet successful candidates with a view to ensuring compliance.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I personally don’t do Twitter, but heaps of scandals have broken on there.

And the initial flurry of s44 cases in 2017-18 was also raised by an older guy. Was he automatically racist in his motivation?

Absolutely agree.

My issue is with the poster INSISTING it is racially-driven, solely because Dai Le is Vietnamese.
Was he targeting just an Asian woman? Im not sure the examples are similar enough to warrant comparison are they?

From my reading of the thread i dont think anyone is insisting its solely racist, just that it certainly has some racist attributes.

I'm of the view that a simple attestation that the candidate has renounced all known claims to citizenship of a foreign power, and that should any hitherto unknown eligibility come to light it too shall be renounced should be sufficient.

Then you can allow the AEC to vet successful candidates with a view to ensuring compliance.

problem is they are not renouncing s**t. we have lost a dozen who failed to do this (mostly due to laziness IMO)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Was he targeting just an Asian woman? Im not sure the examples are similar enough to warrant comparison are they?

From my reading of the thread i dont think anyone is insisting its solely racist, just that it certainly has some racist attributes.
As I understand it was his research that led to Ludlam and Waters resigning, and then the dam burst and they were dropping left right and centre.

But my point is, there were a good four dozen politicians under varying degrees of scrutiny, and by definition they were from a huge range of ethnic and national backgrounds.

Just because this is one case in isolation doesn’t mean it’s come to light because she’s of Vietnamese heritage.

It simply means there are no other cases of concern at this point in time (as others have pointed out, you’d THINK due diligence would be done by every candidate now, given what went down in 2017-18.)

the abc covered the issue of S44 early in the election, as a number of candidates had question marks over them. The majority were white.

This didnt become an issue because the successful candidate is asian - its been an issue long before she won and with many more candidates than just her

It simply means there are no other cases of concern at this point in time (as others have pointed out, you’d THINK due diligence would be done by every candidate now, given what went down in 2017-18.)

thats the sad bit - I have zero confidence that this will be the last one this election who has their eligibility tested. our poli's are friggin lazy and moronic on this whole matter

then you can't take your seat.

no s**t, thats the situation we currently have (declarations are made, and when in doubt it goes to court)

AEC doesnt have the power to review or enforce under current laws

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
As I understand it was his research that led to Ludlam and Waters resigning, and then the dam burst and they were dropping left right and centre.

But my point is, there were a good four dozen politicians under varying degrees of scrutiny, and by definition they were from a huge range of ethnic and national backgrounds.

Just because this is one case in isolation doesn’t mean it’s come to light because she’s of Vietnamese heritage.

Again, one persons motivations might not be the same as anothers. You say "Just because this is one case in isolation doesn’t mean it’s come to light because she’s of Vietnamese heritage" im saying it very well might and that isnt exactly a stretch.

the abc covered the issue of S44 early in the election, as a number of candidates had question marks over them. The majority were white.

This didnt become an issue because the successful candidate is asian - its been an issue long before she won and with many more candidates than just her

The ABC isnt some rando on Twitter which is kind of the point. We dont know this persons motivations, they might be completely innocent but its curious that its only one candidate of Asian heritage at the very least.

My impression of Gralin’s posts is that he/she is saying that.

I think Gralin is saying it most likely was, i doubt anyone could say with 100% surety that it was.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Again, one persons motivations might not be the same as anothers. You say "Just because this is one case in isolation doesn’t mean it’s come to light because she’s of Vietnamese heritage" im saying it very well might and that isnt exactly a stretch.

The ABC isnt some rando on Twitter which is kind of the point. We dont know this persons motivations, they might be completely innocent but its curious that its only one candidate of Asian heritage at the very least.

I think Gralin is saying it most likely was, i doubt anyone could say with 100% surety that it was.

Don't trust you on this topic with your hyperbolic display in the Lumumba thread after his release of private voice recordings, or Gralin and a few other Greenies from this board.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't trust you on this topic with your hyperbolic display in the Lumumba thread after his release of private voice recordings, or Gralin and a few other Greenies from this board.
Lol, my hyperbolism. Rightio. I suppose im being hyperbolic again by suggesting that maybe a twitter using going after a single candidate who is asian "might" have some racism to it? Real hardcore SJW stuff that isnt it?

Youre not obligated to listen to or agree with anything i say by the way mate, not sure if youre aware of that.

I think the ABC has a little more gravitas than some random on twitter

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lol, my hyperbolism. Rightio. I suppose im being hyperbolic again by suggesting that maybe a twitter using going after a single candidate who is asian "might" have some racism to it? Real hardcore SJW stuff that isnt it?

Youre not obligated to listen to or agree with anything i say by the way mate, not sure if youre aware of that.

You lost credibility on these issues, and you further lost credibility in my eyes after this word salad and the use of 'SJW'. Your words. And it's you're

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the ABC has a little more gravitas than some random on twitter
I agree... that was my point.
You lost credibility on these issues, and you further lost credibility in my eyes after this word salad and the use of 'SJW'. Your words. And it's you're
I cannot stress this enough. I have no clue who you are, i dont recall engaging with you on the Heritier subject or any other.

So whilst im some big left wing bogeyman in your eyes, you actually dont exist in mine. In short, cool, appreciate the grammar lesson.

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree... that was my point.

I cannot stress this enough. I have no clue who you are, i dont recall engaging with you on the Heritier subject or any other.

So whilst im some big left wing bogeyman in your eyes, you actually dont exist in mine. In short, cool, appreciate the grammar lesson.

I don't view you as a left wing boogeyman, but rather an intellectual lightweight having read your views on similar topics.

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
😂 Good vs Evil

FTojQdWXsAYqMce

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I don't see this one as racist. S 44 should be one of the first things that any aspiring politician here with links to another country should make sure they're on top of.

Ffs people can be stupid. This isn’t because she’s Asian, it’s the same standard anyone from Anglo backgrounds has been subjected to as well.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
thats the sad bit - I have zero confidence that this will be the last one this election who has their eligibility tested. our poli's are friggin lazy and moronic on this whole matter
Perhaps it's a Mexican standoff - neither side knows for sure what uncertainty still hovers over their opponent's members, so neither side wants to make the first move to get this sorted, in case they're giving up the chance to get one more opponent's scalp.

Hopefully this is one sort of stupidity that might quickly be put to bed forever by the new, diverse, free agents on the crossbench.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back