Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Insiders this morning provided a little bit more info on staffing of for backbenchers.

Independents get at least one staff which was the norm until Turnbull gave Cathy McGowan 3, then Morrison gave Craig Kelly 4;).
Mark butler when in opposition had 2. Staffers weren't the same for everyone.

They are increasing resources in government library so they can do research there.

Not sure 4 is need maybe two? Across all backbenchers.

I don't have an issue with making it fairer.
Correct, crossbenchers had more staffers than government, which doesn’t seem right. Still not a great move politically, given he needs them, but a smaller cut would seem appropriate.

Why the feck does he need to comment on domestic US politics? Place is a shitshow and none our business.
Partially as a message to us that he doesn't want that happening here, and as something we can hold over him if he tries it later.

Correct, crossbenchers had more staffers than government, which doesn’t seem right. Still not a great move politically, given he needs them, but a smaller cut would seem appropriate.
Agree, also thank for typing 'crossbenchers' that is who I meant instead of my typing 'backbenchers'.

That is why I thought maybe 2, one for general office management and one other for research.

Watching Insiders this morning provided a little bit more info on staffing of for backbenchers.

Independents get at least one staff which was the norm until Turnbull gave Cathy McGowan 3, then Morrison gave Craig Kelly 4;).

They are increasing resources in government library so they can do research there.

I would be happy with crossbenchers who take on additional work, such as sitting on Parliamentary committee's or senate estimates, no issue with them getting an extra staffer, but they should not be getting more than members on the outer ministry or the shadow cabinet.

I should add it needs to be proper work, not like Hansen showing up late to a hearing, asking one useless question and then leaving.

One of the findings of the Jenkins review was that the lack of staff had contributed to poor workplace culture and burnout in parliamentary offices. So I'm not sure drastic cuts would have good effects.

What people are also ignoring is that major parties have armies of staffers to carry out research into the potential consequences of legislation, but the smaller players don't have that luxury. They need full-time staff.

We are not America, there’s no appetite for those kinds of laws here in Australia. No point telling America they are a shitshow for no good reason.
Oh there SOOOOO is. And if there isn't enough interest to drive voting, they will agitate until they whip up hysteria*. This is the objective of the conservative media.

Yes, I know :)

Lets see how it works out. While I am all in favour of a larger and diversified cross bench, I am not sure that multiple staffers reviewing the same legislation is the best use of resources. I realise that they are Independents and as such shouldn't be pooling the resources.

Lets see how it works out. While I am all in favour of a larger and diversified cross bench, I am not sure that multiple staffers reviewing the same legislation is the best use of resources. I realise that they are Independents and as such shouldn't be pooling the resources.
On the other hand a Shadow Minister (Mark Butler) having 2 and someone like Craig Kelly 4 is not right either.

We are not America, there’s no appetite for those kinds of laws here in Australia. No point telling America they are a shitshow for no good reason.
We are not America but there is no denying that anything big that happens there has a ripple effect here, and there is also no denying that plenty of hard-right wing Christians here are doing their darndest to make Australia more like their vision of America. And with some success, sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the feck does he need to comment on domestic US politics? Place is a shitshow and none our business.
Two reasons
If you actually uphold those values and stay silent on this your values aren't worth s**t
We need commitment that he would stand against it here too

We only reached national decriminalisation of abortion last year when South Australia finally joined the party.

And that doesn't mean that people can access it, just that they might be able to

Two reasons
If you actually uphold those values and stay silent on this your values aren't worth s**t

We only reached national decriminalisation of abortion last year when South Australia finally joined the party.

And that doesn't mean that people can access it, just that they might be able to
Australians commenting on US politics have NO effect in the US.

Australians seeking to USE US politics for their own purposes are transparent.

Two reasons

Is it just the US we need to comment on in order to uphold our values or does he need to comment on the domestic politics of Burkino Faso as well in order to convince you of anything? I stand by my comment that there is no appetite outside of fringe elements to wind back abortion laws, we’re going the other way. There’s still work to be done and we must always be alert, but I don’t see any point in moralising to the US on this or gun control or anything else. Leave them to their own lunacy.

You still don't think they are true?
How much more evidence do you need?
Lets see.

Cross benchers under Morrison got 4 staffers, the Shadow health minister, during a pandemic, got 2.

Morrison curries up favour by dolling out perks 'as is his want' by drastically increasing the number 'researchers'

Albanese cuts the number back to what it has historically been, as he isnt interested in the machinations of currying favour so beloved by Morrison.

More evidence, how about 'some' evidence.

Partially as a message to us that he doesn't want that happening here, and as something we can hold over him if he tries it later.
Look, I understand your outrage at what is happening in the USA: I share your outrage 100% but American domestic politics is American domestic politics and the only thing that Albanese would achieve by commenting on the a-hole-of-the-earth's gyrations, is to put that onto the Australian political landscape which would bring out all the right wingers, Christian Nationalists and the "Freedom of Speech" pigs like Bolt onto the scene.

We've had enough of Australian Prime Minister's getting involved in American filth. Geez, we even saw the extremist "pro" life ex Prime Minister on stage at a Trump election gathering! F**k America and American filth.

We are not America but there is no denying that anything big that happens there has a ripple effect here, and there is also no denying that plenty of hard-right wing Christians here are doing their darndest to make Australia more like their vision of America. And with some success, sadly.
and by Albanese entering the fray will only serve as an excuse for the filth that you mentioned above to get on their megaphones and turn it into an "issue".

The hard right and the Christian Nationalists have always existed in Australia and the worst thing I reckon we can do, the worst thing Albanese can do, is to bait them because that's what they will see any comment from Albanese being, that is, anti Christian.

Albanese is the Prime Minister of Australia and whatever happens in another country's domestic politics is not in his purview. It's not the Australian Prime Minister's job to give a running commentary on what happens domestically in other countries. If these issues arise in Australia, then he will speak.

and by Albanese entering the fray will only serve as an excuse for the filth that you mentioned above to get on their megaphones and turn it into an "issue".

The hard right and the Christian Nationalists have always existed in Australia and the worst thing I reckon we can do, the worst thing Albanese can do, is to bait them because that's what they will see any comment from Albanese being, that is, anti Christian.

Albanese is the Prime Minister of Australia and whatever happens in another country's domestic politics is not in his purview. It's not the Australian Prime Minister's job to give a running commentary on what happens domestically in other countries. If these issues arise in Australia, then he will speak.
You may be right. He may have concluded that the smartest way to deal with a zealot is to ignore them.

The danger is determining the difference between "ignoring" and "underestimating", because I feel more and more that we on the left have grossly underestimated the determination of the right - particularly the zealous Christian right who practically crave martyr status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back