Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I've long since accepted that 2022 Albo is a shadow of 2010-2013 Albo. I think he likes power too much at this point to play the long game.
Sacrificing principles for power doesn't work out in the long run. He should speak to Malcolm Turnbull.

Sacrificing principles for power doesn't work out in the long run. He should speak to Malcolm Turnbull.
Malcom tried to have it both ways and keep his progressive Rep .
I don't think Albo will because the stans will justify it for him

Is it just the US we need to comment on in order to uphold our values or does he need to comment on the domestic politics of Burkino Faso as well in order to convince you of anything? I stand by my comment that there is no appetite outside of fringe elements to wind back abortion laws, we’re going the other way. There’s still work to be done and we must always be alert, but I don’t see any point in moralising to the US on this or gun control or anything else. Leave them to their own lunacy.
Well they are an ally. We talk about them all the time.
We're also happy to jump on board with condemning anyone they want us to.

The US isn't Burkino Faso so strawman

And again there is huge appetite here to ban abortion and Roe v Wadw shows those groups are organised and willing to play the long game so your certainty on this not happening here is misplaced

Why the feck does he need to comment on domestic US politics? Place is a shitshow and none our business.
Because religious based groups (family voice) are making veiled threats to Australian judges ?

And JackOutback if our Prime Minister won't talk to people here about making sure access to Abortion will be protected now you can't trust him to fight for it if the people who want it rolled back start pushing

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
And JackOutback if our Prime Minister won't talk to people here about making sure access to Abortion will be protected now you can't trust him to fight for it if the people who want it rolled back start pushing
Should he also talk about concealed handguns, the US Supreme Court just overturned laws around carrying concealed handguns in New York, I'm sure there are fringe loonies who would like to be able to do the same here? I mean, if he won't talk about it, does that mean he can't be trusted to stop concealed handguns from becoming law? It's such a stupid argument to suggest he can't be trusted because he won't comment on US domestic politics.

Anyway, he's been asked by journos, he's been unequivocal. Can we stop clutching those pearls now?

You complain about Albanese 'stans' but you are using both real and imaginary issues to condemn him. You are like the opposite of a Labor 'stan'.

American domestic politics is American domestic politics
Which the unhinged wing of the conservative side over here tries to import at every opportunity.

The hard right and the Christian Nationalists have always existed in Australia and the worst thing I reckon we can do, the worst thing Albanese can do, is to bait them because that's what they will see any comment from Albanese being, that is, anti Christian.

Call them out, I say.

Should he also talk about concealed handguns, the US Supreme Court just overturned laws around carrying concealed handguns in New York, I'm sure there are fringe loonies who would like to be able to do the same here? I mean, if he won't talk about it, does that mean he can't be trusted to stop concealed handguns from becoming law? It's such a stupid argument to suggest he can't be trusted because he won't comment on US domestic politics.
Another strawman
Why are you so against Albo making a statement?

And i mean without waiting for a Journo to ask
Anyway, he's been asked by journos, he's been unequivocal. Can we stop clutching those pearls now?

You complain about Albanese 'stans' but you are using both real and imaginary issues to condemn him. You are like the opposite of a Labor 'stan'.
Yeah I think labor suck and people let them get away with s**t they'd bag the coalition for

Its absolutely being worked on here and has been for ages

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Malcom tried to have it both ways and keep his progressive Rep .
I don't think Albo will because the stans will justify it for him
You have to have it both ways.

If you don't you either end up with power, but no principles to guide that power to achieve anything worthwhile.

Or principles to guide you on a path your powerlessness prevents you from walking.

It's just that achieving that balance is hard.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Another strawman

Yeah I think labor suck and people let them get away with s**t they'd bag the coalition for

Well, I am primarily a labour voter, but I have voted liberal, green and independent, as I think the candidates and their positions warranted.

But modern LNP is a million miles from ever getting my vote again.

I actually think labour has regressed as well, but they are just a less inspiring less effective version of themselves, the LNP has degenerated into a complete shitshow.

And I think this is deliberate. I think fundamentalists have deliberately white anted the party, because they know true traditional liberals would never have a bar of where they want to take the party.

So, even if they start making good noises, not voting for them, because I just don't believe them.

American conservative judges making good noises at confirmation hearings, by lying their faces off, then completely ignoring everything they said when appointed springs to mind.

At this point, anyone voting liberal on the basis of "business as usual" is either disengaged from politics, and hence completely clueless. A rusted on LNP who so long as labour is getting it in the neck, just doesn't care, or is one of the extremist nutjobs doing the white anting.

The teal movement is a consequence of deliberate policy. They represented the LNP voter the nutters do not want in the party. They didn't desert, they were pushed out.

People expect the LNP to swing back to the middle, but in the long run, they will not.

They will swing further right, and nuttier, and will use media blitzkrieg and fear mongering campaigns to try to swing the teal voters further right, and back to the party.

Can they get nutty enough that you wouldn't vote for them?

What would that look like, out of curiosity. What would a LNP that Gralin wouldn't support look like?

I know what a labour party I wouldn't support looks like, I have voted against them a few times, especially at state level. WA Inc for example.

Have you ever voted anything but liberal?

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Well, I am primarily a labour voter, but I have voted liberal, green and independent, as I think the candidates and their positions warranted.

I actually think labour has regressed as well, but they are just a less inspiring less effective version of themselves, the LNP has degenerated into a complete shitshow.

And I think this is deliberate. I think fundamentalists have deliberately white anted the party, because they know true traditional liberals would never have a bar of where they want to take the party.

So, even if they start making good noises, not voting for them, because I just don't believe them.

American conservative judges making good noises at confirmation hearings, by lying their faces off, then completely ignoring everything they said when appointed springs to mind.

At this point, anyone voting liberal on the basis of "business as usual" is either disengaged from politics, and hence completely clueless. A rusted on LNP who so long as labour is getting it in the neck, just doesn't care, or is one of the extremist nutjobs doing the white anting.

The teal movement is a consequence of deliberate policy. They represented the LNP voter the nutters do not want in the party. They didn't desert, they were pushed out.

People expect the LNP to swing back to the middle, but in the long run, they will not.

They will swing further right, and nuttier, and will use media blitzkrieg and fear mongering campaigns to try to swing the teal voters further right, and back to the party.

What would that look like, out of curiosity. What would a LNP that Gralin wouldn't support look like?

I know what a labour party I wouldn't support looks like, I have voted against them a few times, especially at state level. WA Inc for example.

Dude, Gralin is a Green voter.

You have to have it both ways.

If you don't you either end up with power, but no principles to guide that power to achieve anything worthwhile.

Or principles to guide you on a path your powerlessness prevents you from walking.

It's just that achieving that balance is hard.

So I believe Albo has appeased the hard right of the ALP to get into power much like Malcolm did in the coalition.

But I also think he's personally become more conservative in his politics than his younger days that people point to as him being a lefty

The question is how far right he's really moved because the current ALP platform is not the labor of old

Dude I'm left of the greens

Dude, Gralin is a Green voter.
Federally yeah they were my first choice, mostly because I didn't have better left candidates to choose from in HoR
In the senate they got my first choice purely on the back of Senator Thorpe

For the upcoming Vic election I'm really hoping for some decent alternatives as the Vic Greens have got a TERF and SWERF problem currently.

They need to clean house but have for a few years and haven't had the appetite

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Another strawman

It's not a strawman. You think, Albo should comment on one US Supreme Court decision that does not affect Australia but not on another US Supreme Court decision that does not affect Australia. It's inconsistent. I don't think it's necessary to comment on either.

How about we criticise him on issues relating to his job and not manufactured ones?

It's not a strawman. You think, Albo should comment on one US Supreme Court decision that does not affect Australia but not on another US Supreme Court decision that does not affect Australia. It's inconsistent. I don't think it's necessary to comment on either.

How about we criticise him on issues relating to his job and not manufactured ones?
Ok hes going ahead with stage 3 tax cuts and ******* over welfare recipients he can eat a dick for that alone

Because religious based groups (family voice) are making veiled threats to Australian judges ?
God botheres can make as much noise as they like to judges.

"Judges of the Court are appointed by the Governor-General by commission and may not be removed except by the Governor-General on an address from both Houses of Parliament in the same session. All judges must retire at the age of seventy. Judges, other than the Chief Justice, may hold more than one judicial office."

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Isn’t the reason Federal politicians aren’t going beyond platitudes on abortion, is that it’s a state issue?

Unless I’m reading it wrong all that’s happened in the US, is that they have moved to the same model as Australia where abortion laws are set by the states.

Yeah and people said just wait he'll fix it once he's in

Make no mistake, what you are advocating for is the re-election of the LNP.

Also, your position can only be one that serves your self interest. Nothing wrong with that, up to the point where your are willing to throw people under the bus in pursuit of your self interest.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Make no mistake, what you are advocating for is the re-election of the LNP.

Also, your position can only be one that serves your self interest. Nothing wrong with that, up to the point where your are willing to throw people under the bus in pursuit of your self interest.
I know what you're saying, and agree.

Bhuuut. I think the point is... people are sick of accepting the status quo. Maybe if we all pushed hard enough, we could shift the country in the same way that the far right and religious groups have been pushing the country.

Why do we always need to try and placate, and find balance, and negotiate? Why do we always need to play by the rules, if the 'other side' don't, and the 'other side' know how to use that specifically against 'us'?

There are enough bad faith posters, pretending to be with 'us', while doing nothing but attacking 'us'. That it's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back