Anthony Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

What I'm amazed at is how quickly his scoring has developed. I really thought he'd be a guy who'd max out at 20ppg, while doing everything else very well. He's got plenty of guys around him who can score, but they're still giving him the ball and he's scoring 25 a game at very good efficiency.

It's actually gone up to 35.8 after today's game. Ridiculous.
His scoring has developed a lot and what is scary is that it can get so much better. Right now he gets a lot of his points from his athleticism. His ability to rebound and get put backs and also his ability on the break to leak out and get easy dunks. He is very good shooter too, has a reliable jumpshot with good range.

What's amazing is that he can get so much better as he is yet to develop any sort of post game. I mean he grew up as a guard, which is why his ball handling is pretty good and he is excellent at driving and taking players off the dribble. Then he inexplicably grew like 7 inches in a summer and went from a PG/SG to a PF. He has had to remodel his game and use his length and athleticism. But he can still get so much better as he works on his low post game and I wouldnt put it past him to work on his three ball either.

Generally players don't just suddenly develop a post game. I'm sure he'll develop a move or two, but it's not something many players just pickup all of a sudden. See Dwight Howard. The best bigs down low all had some kind of background that allowed them to be smart with their feet in the post.

Such as?

Let's not go over the top.
Over board? Nah... calling it now. Davis barring injuries will easily surpass Garnett as a player. Easily.

As for more strings to his bow. Well he can do everything Garnett did but he does it better. Garnett is a better passer of the ball but thats it. A better post game too but it's so early for Davis and you can see him getting better and better all the time.

Very soon Davis will surpass Garnett. Davis will be a better scorer, defender, rebounder, shooter, you name it.

Generally players don't just suddenly develop a post game. I'm sure he'll develop a move or two, but it's not something many players just pickup all of a sudden. See Dwight Howard. The best bigs down low all had some kind of background that allowed them to be smart with their feet in the post.
I think Davis has leeway as I said he grew up as a guard. You grow up a bigman and you work on your post game from day dot. Davis suddenly turned into a PF he didnt know he was supposed to be. He already has some decent moves, he is quick, has an excellent little jump hook. He will definitely end up having a terrific post up game. You can already see it coming together. With Dwight, you never even see it. Davis, it's there, in glimpses. It will come.

Such as?

Let's not go over the top.

agreed.

Davis still has a lot to achieve before he could be considered alongside Garnett/Duncan/Dirk (let alone Shaq) just from the last 10-15 years- and that's before you even consider the HoF bigs that came before them.
Will he become the best of that lot? He clearly has that potential - but potential and achievements are two very different things, and can only really be judged in hindsight.

I'm sure he will have an MVP-Calibre season - but if the Pelicans don't make the 8 he will not win it. (and in fact it's more likely gonna take a top-4 finish, or 55ish wins)... and for everything he has done this season - they are still sitting at 10th in the west.
Put him in the East - and yep he's your 2015 MVP... but the western conference is so hard that it would take something massive to either get a high playoff ranking, or to win MVP.

agreed.

Davis still has a lot to achieve before he could be considered alongside Garnett/Duncan/Dirk (let alone Shaq) just from the last 10-15 years- and that's before you even consider the HoF bigs that came before them.
Will he become the best of that lot? He clearly has that potential - but potential and achievements are two very different things, and can only really be judged in hindsight.

I'm sure he will have an MVP-Calibre season - but if the Pelicans don't make the 8 he will not win it. (and in fact it's more likely gonna take a top-4 finish, or 55ish wins)... and for everything he has done this season - they are still sitting at 10th in the west.
Put him in the East - and yep he's your 2015 MVP... but the western conference is so hard that it would take something massive to either get a high playoff ranking, or to win MVP.

Agreed with this, but at the moment he only needs to make the playoffs if Cavs struggle to less than 50 wins. At the moment (and things can change with us being less than 20% of the way through the season) there is no logical other choice.

Even if the Pels dont make the playoffs I think he is a chance just because all the experts voting understand how tough the West is. He could lead the Pels to a 45-50 win season and still miss the playoffs, such is the West and how deep it is.

Surely his PER drops but if it remains as high as it is. You cant not give it to him, even if the Pelicans dont make the playoffs.

It's called the Most Valuable Player award. Not the Most Valuanle Player on a good team award.

I think he can definitely win it pretty much regardless of where NOP finish up if he maintains the output he's had so far.

Every now and then, A game changer comes along. Sit back and enjoy the next 10 years.

We are witnessing one right now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he gotten a 5 x 5 yet? Because he's been damn close on a couple of occasions.
He hasnt got one yet but surely it's only a matter of time. They are pretty rare though but I think he will get multiple 5x5's during his career.

According to Wiki, only 9 players have ever recorded a 5 x 5 in the NBA. Olajuwon and Kirilenko are the only players to ever do it more than once. Olajuwon managed 6 of them and AK47 got 3.

The other 7 players to record a 5x5 are David Robinson, Derrick Coleman, Jamaal Tinsley, Marcus Camby, Nicolas Batum, Vlade Divac and Julius Erving.

I have no doubts AD will join that group sooner rather than later. He was only 1 assist and 1 block shy earlier this morning.

You can't compare Davis to Jordan.. FAr out I'm sick of ppl trying to compare everyone with Jordan.. Davis is a monster however at the moment putting up some fantastic numbers for his team.. MVP quality that is for sure.

He's going to be a dominant force like I imagine Shaq was. Just no massive weakness in his game. Pelicans need to keep building around him.

AD da gawd, but to suggest he plays like Shaq is ludicrous.

Shaq was the brutest of all brute power.

AD is all midrange and alley oops at the moment. Needs to develop a presence down low, improve is his back to the bucket game and his man on man D.

AD da gawd, but to suggest he plays like Shaq is ludicrous.

Shaq was the brutest of all brute power.

AD is all midrange and alley oops at the moment. Needs to develop a presence down low, improve is his back to the bucket game and his man on man D.
Yeah I dont see him being anything like Shaq. He will be more like Kevin Garnett but like twice as good.

Personally think he is like KD but plays more of a centre role than Durant ever will

Remove this Banner Ad

Back