FTA-TV Anthony Hudson ruins another great moment in footy

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The only problem with Hudson is that he barracks for the game, and particularly for an attacking game style, and sounds disappointed by defence. It's like he doesn't realise it's supposed to be a genuine sporting contest, and not outright spectacle.

The best caller on TV right now is probably JB. He has a good voice, knowledge of the main sports, a natural and likeable manner, good sense of humour, appreciation of the players, doesn't make it all about him.

You serious?

Have you listened to him?

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I agree with others that he's slipped. A good caller of the game, but has got too emotional in recent times. His calling of that game last week was painful, his clear barracking for Essendon became tiresome quickly.

Whateley needs to be calling games on TV, he's far too good not to be. Being wasted on radio.

I agree with others that he's slipped. A good caller of the game, but has got too emotional in recent times. His calling of that game last week was painful, his clear barracking for Essendon became tiresome quickly.

Whateley needs to be calling games on TV, he's far too good not to be. Being wasted on radio.
everyone thinks that the commentators are barracking against their team.

Who's actually better than him right now?
I think Speed and Papalia some of Huddo's bigger banalities. He's better than anyone on 7 though (apart from maybe Bennett, but they rarely have him commentate so....)

StMiles1

Team Captain
Nov 5, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Huddo is aeons ahead of any other caller in the game. Adept at injecting the right level of excitement at the right time in the game. Very rarely gets a player's name wrong and staunchly professional (called a heartbreaking finals loss for his own team FFS). No gimmicks, no nicknames, just pure excitement. Would take it over anyone else at any time.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Too often commentators barrack 'for the story' when calling these days.

Just commentate. There are two sides out there and nobody cares what you want.
Perfectly said.

It’s the story they want instead of just calling the game and letting the game tell it’s own story.

Agreed. Just keeps it simple and doesn’t try to overshadow what’s happening.
Less is definitely more when it comes to football commentary.
We talking Brayshaw or Bennett here?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm in agreement with the opinion that Hudson is an excellent caller, but that he turns the volume up way too much. I think he can show the excitement, which is great, with his voice without the scream.
The only truly thing I dislike about his calls is that he always has to stamp his brand on a big call. He has to say something catchy in a big moment. I am sure I am in a minority here when I say I really don't like the 2005 semifinal call. IMO it would have been the perfect call to stop after the second "Nick Davis!" and just left the moment sink in. Keep the focus on electricity. The "I don't believe it!" was okay, but the whole "I see it, but I don't believe it!" was too much. The crowd's going bonkers, the players showing shock, elation. That should be what we remember.
I do think he is one of if not the best top tier caller for footy. Another maybe polarizing thing he does that I do like, is the sigh he gives when a promising passage of play doesn't come off. lol

That’s exactly why so many despise him.

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
The full volume voice cracks are just awful to listen to and takes the enjoyment out of the moment itself. Triple M uploaded their call of the goal to Facebook and even though you can't see the game on Triple M so the commentators have to tell you what's happening, Nathan Brown still managed to call the moment infinitely better than Huddo because he kept his composure and didn't turn into a 9 year old in the crowd.

The Nick Davis call was a great one but it was also 14 years ago. There's no call from Huddo in the last 10 years that has made a moment anymore memorable or special than it would have been with BT behind the mic. He's too obsessed with the sound of his own voice.
Who did the match for 3AW and ABC?

Back