Traded Anthony Miles [traded to Gold Coast with C.Ellis for swap of future 3rd round picks]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d take him. Always impressed me when I’ve watched him and thought he was very hard done by to not get another game after doing pretty well (20 touches and a goal) in the one game he did get against Port this year (and was a decent player when he was Richmond best 22 a few years back).
I think he would be a good fit for Essendon, you are already a fast team and he is a good extractor who could feed the ball out to your better ball users.

Maybe Carlton, if only to provide another mature body and help Cripps from getting so banged up by having to do it all himself.

Would be any awesome pickup for Carlton IMO. Has good AFL traits but is somewhat limited, but what he does he does well. Would allow Cripps and Kennedy to spend more time forward, and basically ensures we’re more competitive around the ball while our young kids are developing.

Not even a minor upgrade on guys like Graham and Kerridge - he’s a far better option.

Is an “around the ball” player and that’s it. Can’t play any other position, doesn’t have the flexibility to play multiple positions which is so in vogue at the moment

Does Miles play ahead of Ed Curnow in a similar role though? I wouldn't say so.

Pretty different players. Ed's around the ball when he's tagging, but we generally push him out onto a wing to use his endurance to provide an overlap option. He was actually a pretty reasonable clearance player at VFL level.

Is an “around the ball” player and that’s it. Can’t play any other position, doesn’t have the flexibility to play multiple positions which is so in vogue at the moment

I don't think that'd trouble us. We've got guys that we'd love to use as inside mids in Graham and Kerridge who aren't strong clearance players - at least at AFL level. Miles at least has form as an AFL standard inside midfielder who has a limited game, but he'll at least win a decent amount of clearances and do the defensive stuff, and team oriented actions around the stoppages like blocking for players.

Maybe my memory is hazy but he seemed to come in in 2015 and helped to change Richmond's fortunes that year. I think he's still got plenty to offer as an AFL player but understandably he's now down the pecking order at Richmond.

I don't think that'd trouble us. We've got guys that we'd love to use as inside mids in Graham and Kerridge who aren't strong clearance players - at least at AFL level. Miles at least has form as an AFL standard inside midfielder who has a limited game, but he'll at least win a decent amount of clearances and do the defensive stuff, and team oriented actions around the stoppages like blocking for players.

Maybe my memory is hazy but he seemed to come in in 2015 and helped to change Richmond's fortunes that year. I think he's still got plenty to offer as an AFL player but understandably he's now down the pecking order at Richmond.

Absolutely he did. Was one of our shining lights. Then we went and changed the game plan on him. Victim of circumstance. Personally I love him as a player but the poor bugger just doesn’t fit given that and the players we brought in - primarily Prestia who’s running power is far superior

Maybe Carlton, if only to provide another mature body and help Cripps from getting so banged up by having to do it all himself.
Yep, perfect fit at Carlton for this reason.

However, mark my words, Miles has a huge role to play for the Tigers before the end of THIS season- yet another injury on the weekend to a top-liner in Lambert and we already have Higgins playing as a full-time mid in his first year such is the shortage of mids. After Lloyd, Miles is next picked as the cupboard is getting pretty bare (Cellis' papers potentially stamped).

Miles was our best mid in the 2015 EF, if the bad injury luck keeps piling up at Tigerland, he may yet live the dream.

Anthony Miles would get a game at 3/4 of the sides in the AFL based on his contested ball ability around stoppages. He has now improved his endurance and speed after working with a running coach over the preseason which has enabled him to get to more contests and become a more offensive player. He has kicked far more goals this year than previously due to this. His defensive work has also improved. His tackle count and 1% numbers have improved as a result. Most Richmond supporters would love to fit him into the team but he is a role player and can not play as a forward or back if required.

Averaging 29.38 disposals (1.10 kick-to-handball ratio, 69.11% overall disposal efficiency, 56.50% kicking efficiency, 82.97% handball efficiency), 9.85 handball receives, 3.92 marks, 0.92 goals and 3.69 tackles per game at VFL level this year. Obviously knows how to find the footy, but the scoring and tackling numbers aren't exactly elite, and his kicking obviously lets him down a bit too (assumedly partially because of winning the ball in traffic).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion if he was a guaranteed walk up start at another club he would’ve played more at Richmond this year given Prestia has missed a few games. Strikes me as a solid player but if Lyons doesn’t get a start at Gold Coast I don’t see where Miles does.
GC have had Barlow sitting there all year and won't play him as well. Why would Miles be any different?

Graham has played 10 games, scattered across the year, mainly once injuries hit the squad. I wouldn't have thought he was considered best 22 anyway, when everyone is fit.

You are correct.

Graham is getting a game right now because he's a (relatively) experienced footballer and we literally don't have too many other options right now.

He's also spending a lot of time inside the forward 50 which just isn't his go.

More than likely won't be at the club next year and I'm not sure I'd bother replacing him with Miles, but if it's for a late pick or as a DFA I guess I can't have too many complaints.

Miles has improved his overall scoring which was an area he was told to work on at VFL level. His improved endurance has allowed this. He now finds space in the forwardline where in the past he would be struggling to get to each contest. His stoppage and clearance capabilities is exceptional. When Prestia cam e to Richmond he was superseded due to Prestia's superior running and ball disposal. He was the third midfielder behind Dusty and Cotchin before then.

Richmond's game is no longer based on clearances and contested ball. In fact I think we are ranked 11th for center clearances and have lost almost every contested ball count this year. Our game is built on running, turnovers and rebound through defense.

MIles is a victim of a changed Gameplan and Style of PLay rather than ability. In a team will a greater focus on contested ball and clearances, he would be invaluable.

Carlton and Gold Coast may be interested in getting his services because they lack experienced bodies on the ball, but his limitations mean that he will never be anything more than a fringe player regardless of output. AFL 2018 requires running and team defence, Miles cannot provide that so any good work at centre bounces is negated by him being a liability around the ground. You say he's improved, but realistically, if he's improved enough to be worthy of getting regular games at another club then we would have seen him play more at AFL level this year. We haven't. No club who sees themselves in contention for a finals berth will bother considering him except for depth, and I'd say only GC and Carlton outside of that conversation would be finding a regular role for him anyway. If he goes to a new club, he will go as a DFA.

This really depends on the list. If a team already has an abundance of inside ball winners, then Miles is not right for them. If they are a team who has plenty of speed and light framed bodies, then Miles would be ideal to feed the ball out and protect the developing midfielders why they develop. He would make an ideal rotation through the midfield at the very least.

We don't want to see him go. He is a huge reason why we are going so well at VFL level. He makes a perfect depth/back up player for use in case of injury. Unfortunately for Miles, we have been very blessed up to this point in that regard.

Not every team has the same game plan. The wheel will turn again and contested ball and clearances will become the number one factor very quickly. In this regard I hope he stays but if he doesn't, he deserves to be playing at the AFL level

Yep, perfect fit at Carlton for this reason.

However, mark my words, Miles has a huge role to play for the Tigers before the end of THIS season- yet another injury on the weekend to a top-liner in Lambert and we already have Higgins playing as a full-time mid in his first year such is the shortage of mids. After Lloyd, Miles is next picked as the cupboard is getting pretty bare (Cellis' papers potentially stamped).

Miles was our best mid in the 2015 EF, if the bad injury luck keeps piling up at Tigerland, he may yet live the dream.
There it is, ol' sick-note Prestia has hamstring soreness, will likely be rested.
So it's OUT Lambert, Prestia, IN Lloyd, Miles?

I know Carlton are bad but it's better than playing in the VFL. Or is it?
Well that's what I was thinking. He could have gone to GC last year where he would surely get games, but decided to stay at Richmond.
I'd be very surprised if he is still with us next year.
And Carlton are not that bad, there is always a developing club in the mix.
I think he'd be a good fit, and personally I hope he ends up there, because i want to see him playing regular AFL.

Miles isn’t really suited for Carlton because they already have Cripps who is both a ball extractor and slow.

Miles doesn’t fit our midfield because Dusty is slow defensively and Cotchin tends to be the lead extractor these days along with a couple others who are all quick.

You pretty much need to be a club that doesn’t have a genuine ball winning midfielder but has speed on the outside to offset the loss caused by Miles.

Miles is certainly a decent player and plays a similar role to Tom Mitchell but he is definitely a poor mans version which is what probably keeps clubs uninterested.

Might actually be a good fit for West Coast in a similar role to Priddis as their midfield has decent pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back