Society/Culture Anthony Mundine Makes Racist Comment About Jeff Horn

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know where I sit on this one.

On one hand, I agree with those that simply dismiss Mundine as an idiot not worth listening to. Though I am almost certain that a lot of his controversial/race baiting statements are for show; more controversy = more publicity for his fights = more money in his pocket. I think I have read a few times that away from the cameras he's actually a really good guy. Similar to Sam Newman.

On the other hand, when is racism not racism? His comments were clearly racist - do we let them slide because we think he's an idiot (should that also apply to Andrew Bolt - most people who get upset at his comments wouldn't actually take him seriously, would they?). I don't know, if we are trying to stamp out racism in Australia it may be best to say unequivocally that racism is not acceptable in any setting, rather than try to set up a sliding scale of 'racismness'.

A few people have mentioned that racism is worse when attached to power - that rings true. But I'm wondering, what power does an unknown 13 year old girl have over one of the biggest names in AFL?

I don't know, I feel like I'm just rambling now. Out.

If I'm playing a game of footy against Hawthorn and Cyril Rioli is playing, am I allowed to race bait him to get a reaction and hopefully an advantage for my side? I'm don't mean any of it, I'm just saying it to put Cyril off.

If I'm playing a game of footy against Hawthorn and Cyril Rioli is playing, am I allowed to race bait him to get a reaction and hopefully an advantage for my side? I'm don't mean any of it, I'm just saying it to put Cyril off.

Haha, you could try it! But I think we both know that the backlash would be far more severe. I agree though, that it (probably*) shouldn't be treated any differently.

I was thinking of a similar scenario with my reference to Sam Newman. If he came out and said something like 'Mundane (that was auto corrected, but I'm leaving it because I found it funny) should just shut his black arse up and let his boxing do the talking', he would cop it hard - most likely fired.

The difference in the responses (and I get that the Newman one (and therefore the response) is completely hypothetical, but I feel pretty confident that he would be treated far more harshly than Mundane has been) can't be explained by a power difference - Newman has no more power over Mundane, than Mundane has over Horn; and they're both widely considered idiots, so it's not that.

To address the elephant in the room - one is black and one is white. Is that the main reason? Seems so to me (but happy to be shown otherwise).

So, should this make a difference? Or, put another way, should we treat their racism differently based on the colour of their skin? Seems the obvious answer is no, at least when asked in such a loaded fashion - and that's probably where I'm sitting now.

But there are shades of grey of course (hence the * at the beginning of my post) - where does the racism come from? Given their respective histories, I'd reckon black people have more reason (not to be confused with more right) to hold racist beliefs towards white people, than the other way around (generally speaking!). That's probably not worded very well; perhaps it's more understandable? But I don't know really - how the hell can I, a (straight) white dude with a white name from a white town, know how it feels to be raised as a minority? Maybe I'd feel the same as Mundane? Maybe not, don't know.

Anyway, I know for sure that I'm rambling now.

The definition of racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Now throughout history I don’t believe whites have been oppressed by non whites due to race superiority opinions.

Mundine is simply an ex NRL dumbarse

The definition of racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Now throughout history I don’t believe whites have been oppressed by non whites due to race superiority opinions.

Yeah, dunno fully about the definition. I could call Mundane (thanks Slug) all sorts of things, including some which would definitely be classed as racist, but I wouldn't be calling him them because of any notions of superiority. I'd be calling him them because they're descriptively accurate and he's a flog.

People need to stop becoming so aggravated over the probably brain-damaged Mundine.

No one really cares about him or respects his weak race-baiting.

They would care if the situation were reversed. His history in making stupid comments shouldn't create apathy, it should make him even more of a pariah.

Nowhere in that definition is system wide oppression required.

Nowhere in that definition is system wide oppression required.

No it’s not required.

The KKK for example, the beliefs of many far right w***ers who believe black people are inferior.

Although whites have never been subject to system wide oppression purely for belief that white race is inferior. Black people have.

Do you think Mundine said it in the context that he believes white are an inferior race?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it’s not required.

The KKK for example, the beliefs of many far right ******s who believe black people are inferior.

Although whites have never been subject to system wide oppression purely for belief that white race is inferior. Black people have.

Do you think Mundine said it in the context that he believes white are an inferior race?
So by your argument and logic then it would be acceptable for me to call Mundine a "black campaigner" then?

So by your argument and logic then it would be acceptable for me to call Mundine a "black campaigner" then?

Hey?? Where do get that from.

Why would you feel the need to point out he’s black? By my logic it’s because deep down you believe them to be inferior if said in a derogatory manner.

Hey?? Where do get that from.

Why would you feel the need to point out he’s black? By my logic it’s because deep down you believe them to be inferior if said in a derogatory manner.
So therefore when a black person calls me a white campaigner then they too are being racist?

See that's the point. There was no need for Mundine to point out Horn's skin colour either because he was making his comments in a derogatory manner and thus by your logic he must believe whites are inferior.

No it’s not required.

The KKK for example, the beliefs of many far right ******s who believe black people are inferior.

Yes it shows a clear prejudice against white people

Mundine made racist claims years ago when he missed out on the NRL all-australian team IIRC. This is nothing new for him. Sad because he is/was probably a role-model for a lot of aboriginal kids.

And that’s a big part of the problem.

For every David Wirrpanda and Cathy Freeman, there seems to be a dozen Mundine’s and Nova Perris’ out there spewing anti white bile, comfortably protected by the hypocritical silence of the left who never bat an eyelid when it’s a non white being the racist.

How can we expect reconciliation and a better lot for the future generations of Aboriginal youth, when this is the situation? Just hate upon hate.

He's a self promoting, racist blowhard. Just like Milo.

The difference we ignore Mundine and don't look to him for our political guidance.

If you had a swear jar around your house and instead you had to put money in it every time you said the word racist , someone would be loaded by now.

Mundine made racist claims years ago when he missed out on the NRL all-australian team IIRC. This is nothing new for him. Sad because he is/was probably a role-model for a lot of aboriginal kids.

I think you will find he still is a role model in his wider community and very well regarded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back