• Chris Tarrant

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
With Cloke’s announcement today, the AFL website put up highlights of his career, and gee was he a big focal point for Collingwood up forward in his prime.

It got me thinking, was Rocca more important up forward? Pebbles was known as the barometer in his prime and his influence decided whether Collingwood won or lost - he almost won us the 2002 GF and was suspended in 2003. Cloke was the most dominant contested mark in the competition for about 4-5 years and was a serious threat to defenders too.

Who’d you think played a more important role as a Collingwood forward?

With Cloke’s announcement today, the AFL website put up highlights of his career, and gee was he a big focal point for Collingwood up forward in his prime.

It got me thinking, was Rocca more important up forward? Pebbles was known as the barometer in his prime and his influence decided whether Collingwood won or lost - he almost won us the 2002 GF and was suspended in 2003. Cloke was the most dominant contested mark in the competition for about 4-5 years and was a serious threat to defenders too.

Who’d you think played a more important role as a Collingwood forward?

Both great players ,I would tend to think Rocca was better due to goal conversion.

Travis Cloke at his best. I'd say better than Tarrant and Rocca. My gut says Tarrant though. Dunno why. Rocca played a season at chb from memory did really well.. and of course Tarrant wasn't a bad FB either.

Tarrant for mine. But very hard question. All 3 were pretty good.. at the same standard I suppose.

When discussing Cloke's career on SEN this arvo Malthouse said that in '02/03 the heart and soul of the club was Anthony Rocca, Cloke didn't have the same impact as Anthony Rocca, but he wasn't far behind.

They're similar in terms of goals per game (at Collingwood: AR 220 games 404 goals av. 1.8 ~ TC 245 games 441 goals av. 1.8), but I'd also have Rocca ahead for his role in big games. Rocca's ruck work is also underrated especially in the early 2000s.

Malthouse's comments on Rocca/Cloke from around 7:50 in this audio:
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=149974

Trav would be a modern day great if he could of converted if front of the big sticks

Two AA B&F and a flag is still one hell of a career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travis had a much much better career -more good years as Rocca wasn't fit enough for the majority of his career, but in the second half of 2003, when Rocca was taking the centre bounces and moving forward, he was just about the most valuable player in the league.

Overall - Travis by a mile.

Cloke, and it's not even close.

At his best he was the best KPF in the league after Franklin who was/is a generational talent. Rocca was never at that level (his brother was a better player).

Best contested mark the game has seen in the last decade. How quickly people forget....
100% on the money there

Collingwood fans tend to have forgotten how much of a force this bloke was during 2008-2013

When discussing Cloke's career on SEN this arvo Malthouse said that in '02/03 the heart and soul of the club was Anthony Rocca, Cloke didn't have the same impact as Anthony Rocca, but he wasn't far behind.

They're similar in terms of goals per game (at Collingwood: AR 220 games 404 goals av. 1.8 ~ TC 245 games 441 goals av. 1.8), but I'd also have Rocca ahead for his role in big games. Rocca's ruck work is also underrated especially in the early 2000s.

Malthouse's comments on Rocca/Cloke from around 7:50 in this audio:
https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=149974

Don't know about that. Rocca had a great game in the 2002 GF, but Trav had more great contributions in finals. Awarded best finals player in his first finals campaign in 2007. 2011 PF - dragged us across the line with a phenomenal last quarter against the Hawks. A great first half followed in the GF which got us into the game and gave us a chance at half time.

Cloke has been the only pie to average over 3 goals a game since Sav.

Last edited:
We all remember Pebbles doing spectacular things but Trav has him covered easily. Huge unit, covered so much ground and played one out against 2-3 blokes most of his career. Strong, durable CHF's don't come along very often. we were spoilt having him for a decade.

Interesting question. Think Cloke is the slightly ‘better’ player of the two. At his best most key backs either didn’t have the capacity to keep up with him on a lead over and over again and/or didn’t have the strength to wrestle with him. Unstoppable in full flight.

But given the question is ‘most important’ I think it has to be Rocca. Truly was the barometer of the team for a while and I don’t think Cloke was ever that important to whether the team won or lost. Case in point would be the abysmal 03 GF. No Rocca and the team looked completely rudderless. I think his absence was always underestimated, but let’s never speak of that day again.

Just really thankful we’ve been blessed with two pretty damn entertaining CHFs back-to-back since the turn of the century. There was nothing quite like them taking a mark outside the arc and the whole crowd getting up knowing they were going to go back and give it a roost.

You’ll be missed, Clokey. Hope the club gives him a send-off at some stage next season.

Cloke, Sav not in the same convo, way overrated & Pebs in the middle. Pebs was better than what general BF oppo supporters give him credit for but Cloke was a beast in his prime.

Travis Cloke the better player by a bit too.

Travis dominated to the extent Anthony Rocca just couldn't

Back