Draft Profile Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

Remove this Banner Ad

A study completed by Champion Data this year showed that ANY player drafted after pick 40 in the ND has a less than 5% chance of playing more than 100 games and has the same rate of success as a Rookie selection.
Can you please PM me a link/details of this study? Have been wanting to see updated stats on this for ages.

Anthony Tipungwuti is a very different proposition, just because he is from NT does not mean any or all of the following sterotypes apply.

1.) Will only ever be a small forward
2.) Will have problems adjusting to city life
3.) Have a massive go home risk factor
4.) Will be any more a risk factor than anyone else drafted from Gippsland Power where he has played the last 3 YEARS

Plus on ability would be an absolute steal as a rookie pick. One of the best kids from the territory I have seen in a long time. Has sublime skills and balance.

Anthony Tipungwuti is a very different proposition, just because he is from NT does not mean any or all of the following sterotypes apply.

4.) Will be any more a risk factor than anyone else drafted from Gippsland Power where he has played the last 3 YEARS

Plus on ability would be an absolute steal as a rookie pick. One of the best kids from the territory I have seen in a long time. Has sublime skills and balance.
was laughed at when he did beep test at draft testing last year,ive heard he did not do it at this years state testing.thats the only problem he has as his skills and tricks are good to watch.

was laughed at when he did beep test at draft testing last year,ive heard he did not do it at this years state testing.thats the only problem he has as his skills and tricks are good to watch.
I haven't read of him training with anyone, but he could well be home playing in the NT with his rels. If he doesn't get picked up, it will be a short sighted decision. The only thing against him, other than his motor, is that the changes to the rookie lists have meant very few picks available to anyone this time around. And Tipungwuti would be a speculative pick.

Relton Roberts comes to mind...
Why?

Mid 20s country gun, who'd barely lived in Darwin, let alone played organised city footy, no idea about organised training, diet etc, vs 19 year old who went out of his way to get exposure to top-level footy and find out what he needed to do to go the next step.

Both from the NT, but that's abuot where the similarities end IMHO.

Tippa, even if he doesn't make it, comes across as a really smart kid. If he was 2-3 inches taller I think someone would have already taken a punt on him.

Why?

Mid 20s country gun, who'd barely lived in Darwin, let alone played organised city footy, no idea about organised training, diet etc, vs 19 year old who went out of his way to get exposure to top-level footy and find out what he needed to do to go the next step.

Both from the NT, but that's abuot where the similarities end IMHO.

Tippa, even if he doesn't make it, comes across as a really smart kid. If he was 2-3 inches taller I think someone would have already taken a punt on him.

I refer thinking more of the fitness and weight problems. Yes, Relton's bad habits were more ingrained, but there you go.

Signed for Essendons VFL team. Hopefully a good way for him to get his foot in the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be comparing Tipungwuti to Relton Roberts yet. I saw Roberts on the TV last week playing in the NTFL. He has been in a really good paddock and would weigh more than many ruckmen. He still has some skill and some pace, but you couldn't imagine him being an AFL footballer any longer.
Tipungwuti STARTED with the weight issues and seems to be headed seriously in the other direction. It may be a couple of years before he gets the sort of tank that many recruiters prefer. But I can't see him coming out looking like a hephalump any time soon.

I wouldn't be comparing Tipungwuti to Relton Roberts yet. I saw Roberts on the TV last week playing in the NTFL. He has been in a really good paddock and would weigh more than many ruckmen. He still has some skill and some pace, but you couldn't imagine him being an AFL footballer any longer.
Tipungwuti STARTED with the weight issues and seems to be headed seriously in the other direction. It may be a couple of years before he gets the sort of tank that many recruiters prefer. But I can't see him coming out looking like a hephalump any time soon.

Tipungwuti actually isn't that fat. He has a heavy looking body shape but his skin folds are quite low if I recall correctly. Another thing in Tipungwuti's favour is that he is dedicated to his football and training.

Tipungwuti actually isn't that fat. He has a heavy looking body shape but his skin folds are quite low if I recall correctly. Another thing in Tipungwuti's favour is that he is dedicated to his football and training.
One of things that probably irks the recruiters is that he doesn't have a 'standard' body shape. Not his fault necessarily either, as there are some really interesting body shapes running around in the NTFL and in his family group. If he looked like Anthony Koutafides, he'd have been picked. And no, I am not implying he is fat. I take your comment re skin folds as said. But there is no way he would be taken for the rake thinness that goes with some indigenous players. Some of the NTFL boys look like their last meal was a decade ago.

One of things that probably irks the recruiters is that he doesn't have a 'standard' body shape. Not his fault necessarily either, as there are some really interesting body shapes running around in the NTFL and in his family group. If he looked like Anthony Koutafides, he'd have been picked. And no, I am not implying he is fat. I take your comment re skin folds as said. But there is no way he would be taken for the rake thinness that goes with some indigenous players. Some of the NTFL boys look like their last meal was a decade ago.

Yeah agree 100%. By no means am I saying he is an elite endurance athlete, I just think those writing him off due to being "too fat" are misguided. Some people just have those solid body shapes, eg. Dion Prestia at Gold Coast. One of my mates coming through the system in this year's draft is William Rioli. Amazingly talented but he is one player with some weight issues.

Yeah agree 100%. By no means am I saying he is an elite endurance athlete, I just think those writing him off due to being "too fat" are misguided. Some people just have those solid body shapes, eg. Dion Prestia at Gold Coast. One of my mates coming through the system in this year's draft is William Rioli. Amazingly talented but he is one player with some weight issues.
Yeah, young Rioli looks to have had a few too many turtles for dinner, but he does have pace and skill. It will be very interesting to see how he goes in this year's Championships.

Yeah, young Rioli looks to have had a few too many turtles for dinner, but he does have pace and skill. It will be very interesting to see how he goes in this year's Championships.

Kicked five goals and was named BOG in last night's NTFL grand final which is a phenomenal effort. :thumbsu:

Anthony Tipungwuti

DOB 22/04/1993 H: 174 W: 72 Tiwi Bombers/Gippsland Power

Tipungwuti is capable of the impossible and plays with real flair wherever he is on the ground. He can create off of the half back line, lead up or crumb in the forward line and do some Rioli-esque s**t around the clearances extracting the ball or hitting the pack at pace and reading the ball off the tap.

Trouble is we just don't see enough of it as he is VERY unfit and will vanish after one good quarter, and this can happen quite often. Other issues would be that he can rush his disposal under pressure and is also guilty of sometimes trying to do too much when the first or simple option would be more appropriate.

He seems to be most at home in the forward line and that is most likely where he will start his AFL career. Hopefully when he moves into a professional AFL environment his fitness can improve and his team can utilize his elite foot skills all over the ground.

Playing for Gippsland Power in the TAC, the move to the “Big City” shouldn’t be as jarring for him as it can be for other indigenous players. I see him fitting in the pick 40-Rookie range come draft day. Given his potential, motivation and work rate will make or break his AFL career.

Pump up my tyres up a bit:D
Only took 6 years but I love seeing this dude put it all together. He is so fun to watch play the game

:D:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back