Anti-Ageing

Remove this Banner Ad

I know most people here are interested in good diet and exercise, but is anyone interested in longevity? Now that I'm the wrong side of 50 what I used to think was 'old age' suddenly doesnt seem to be so old. :mad:

I found David Sinclair interesting. Seems to be leading a lot of interesting research. He confirmed what i already knew about the anti aging aspects of Intermittent Fasting, but he also does a few other experiments on himself and his 80 year old father. Both of them take:

- 1000mg Reservatrol, which seems to have good evidence in rat studies.
- NMN https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide_mononucleotide
- and bizarrely Metaformin, the diabetes drug

He is also rates the logetivity effects of jumping from hot sauna to cold pool, bit like that Wim Hof guy who likes the cold showers. Also good ol Tommy Hafey was a big fan of the cold swim every morning.

also Aubrey De Grey is a bit of a legend in this field

I've seen quite a bit from him lately. He advises to avoid DNA damage (X-rays, too much sun, flying...), not eat too much (fasting, be hungry), not eat too much protein, exercise (be out of breath), be cold (showers, cryotherapy, walking outside when cold) and be hot (sauna, steam room). The idea is that when our body is challenged or faces adversity, our cells start to repair themselves.

I've seen quite a bit from him lately. He advises to avoid DNA damage (X-rays, too much sun, flying...), not eat too much (fasting, be hungry), not eat too much protein, exercise (be out of breath), be cold (showers, cryotherapy, walking outside when cold) and be hot (sauna, steam room). The idea is that when our body is challenged or faces adversity, our cells start to repair themselves.

most of that is rudimentary. excepting the showers bit. next he'll be saying smoking isn't good for you either.

I know most people here are interested in good diet and exercise, but is anyone interested in longevity? Now that I'm the wrong side of 50 what I used to think was 'old age' suddenly doesnt seem to be so old. :mad:

I found David Sinclair interesting. Seems to be leading a lot of interesting research. He confirmed what i already knew about the anti aging aspects of Intermittent Fasting, but he also does a few other experiments on himself and his 80 year old father. Both of them take:

He is also rates the logetivity effects of jumping from hot sauna to cold pool, bit like that Wim Hof guy who likes the cold showers. Also good ol Tommy Hafey was a big fan of the cold swim every morning.

also Aubrey De Grey is a bit of a legend in this field

Resveratrol - found in red wine. I'm actually 130 years of age :thumbsu:

I think Sinclair is good but i take his stuff with a grain of salt because

Reservatrol went through trials and got torpedoed. Sinclair made a shitlaod of money selling a company based around this prior to it being rejected.

NMN i'm a bit skeptical about as he is now saying it needs to be stored at low temp and in the dark. So everything on the market is not effective.

metaformin is just a cheaters way of staying slim with no effort as it controls your insulin levels.

Here's the latest from Aubrey de Grey on the Joe Rogan Podcast today(27/2/20). He is of the opinion that we are on the verge of a significant breakthrough.

Is Mel Gibson's Dad still alive? I was listening to some podcast of Joe Rogen with Gibson on there and some doctor and they did something that helping his Dad go from on last legs at 92 to getting to his century. Not sure how old the podcast was but be interesting if his Dad still kicking.

While David is a nice guy and I've spoken to him in person, his science is not great. His Sirtris company was an absolute scam and got their sale to GSK based on the ego of GSKs top internal scientists and board members. Reservatrol and NMN have no actual evidence of doing anything (particularly when taken orally). Also do not take metaformin, we don't actually know how it works (not a joke, unknown mechanism of action) and could be detrimental to those without insulin insensitivity. If you really want to be healthy; exercise (frequency and consistency is king over intensity), eat plant based, avoid processed food (worse than meat), avoid harmful EMR (no 5G is not dangerous). While things like sauna may prevent cardiac issues the science is pretty weak and all these new cryo tech companies are profitting off broscience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back