Mega Thread Anti doping Tribunal Hearings - Verdict to be delivered March 31st, 2pm, Docklands. Closed hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusterBob

Team Captain
Jul 23, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane · 3m3 minutes ago
AFL advises hearing of alleged breach of AFL Anti-Doping Code by 34 current/former players, 1 support person began today at Vic County Court

Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane · 2m2 minutes ago
Following discussion on various procedural matters, Mr Holmes QC commenced his opening submissions on behalf of ASADA.

Patrick Keane @AFL_PKeane · 3m3 minutes ago
It is expected that the opening submissions of ASADA will continue on Thursday and Friday when the hearing resumes. end statement.

not much news

Is that the extent of the update to be provided at each day's conclusion? Treating us with contempt.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
Is that the extent of the update to be provided at each day's conclusion? Treating us with contempt.

Not really. You cant expect a blow by blow commentary on a closed hearing.

Frankly I think we are lucky to get progress reports. Publication of the decisions and reasons at the conclusion of the process will give some insight into events without putting any innocent parties at risk.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...main-game-about-to-begin-20141214-126xwb.html
In the event the tribunal finds against them their fallback position seems a bit precarious for a couple of reasons. (1) Many athletes have tried to play this angle, only to be thwarted by the strict liability provisions. (2) Given that none of the players thought to contact ASADA regarding the status of the drugs they were given ASADA could argue pretty strenuously that the players did not exercise reasonable care.

The term "illegal administering" also raises my eyebrows. I suspect this term might have been invented by the reporter as it has all sorts of legal ramifications if that is really the tack the players are going to pursue.
My interpretation is illegal administering = dank giving them something other than what they consented to (what they understood to consent to). A medical procedure without consent can be deemed assault (unless the patient is incapable of consent and treatment needed as duty of care for a temporarily incapacitated patient)

I heard Chip Le Grands summary of the evidence that is known this morning (missed the other half of his time on SEN) however based on what he summarised there is no doubt whatsoever taht Dank injected TB4 and knew it to be illegal, that part of it seems pretty cut and dry.
I can see why ASADA want Charter and Alavi up on stand because they'd basically confirm that it was TB4 which ASADA would want as a rubber stamp to their case, however it's pretty clear from Le Grand's understanding that once Dank was under suspicion from the ACC all the deflection from Dank started trying to confuse everyone else to protect himself.

why are you posting this crap in this thread?

This is about the tribunal coverage, not for rants about evidence etc.

Procedural question - is it too late to do a deal?

Can a player, or their lawyer on their behalf, walk in today - plead guilty and ask for a lesser penalty?

Or do they just have to wait until it's all heard and cop whatever the ruling is??

Doubt it.

Essendon would be torn to shreds by its members if they took deals now. They would look like utter fools.

They 100% are sure they did not take anything illegal. That has been their stance for almost 3 years. I very much doubt they would change their minds on the final hour when its a very likely they will walk away clear.

just my opinion.

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Doubt it.

Essendon would be torn to shreds by its members if they took deals now. They would look like utter fools.

They 100% are sure they did not take anything illegal. That has been their stance for almost 3 years. I very much doubt they would change their minds on the final hour when its a very likely they will walk away clear.

just my opinion.
No they're confident. Doesn't sound like they're 100% certain of anything.:eek:

davis_756

Cancelled
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Doubt it.

They 100% sure they doped and did a good enough job covering it up to get away with it. That has been their stance for almost 3 years. I very much doubt they would change their minds on the final hour when its a very likely they will walk away clear.

just my opinion.
edited for accuracy

Tigerland

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2004
NSW
AFL Club
Richmond
Doubt it.

just my opinion.

That's laughable.

Essendon have stated numerous times that they are NOT SURE exactly what was given to the players.

How they can say 100% sure it wasn't illegal is one of the world's great mysteries.

In todays paper it says that the Essendon players want to sue ASADA if they win... More blame shifting.

Interesting that club officials are not permitted to attend, is there a procedural reason for it (e.g. only players defending the charge and their counsel // ASADA and AFL)?
Not sure why people are surprised.

Its a confidential hearing against the players not the club.

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
In todays paper it says that the Essendon players want to sue ASADA if they win... More blame shifting.
They want to sue ASADA but have no concerns about the club or dank who put them in the situation where they may have been given banned substances. Good luck with suing ASADA though no doubt the conspiracy theorists will be all over it.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
They want to sue ASADA but have no concerns about the club or dank who put them in the situation where they may have been given banned substances. Good luck with suing ASADA though no doubt the conspiracy theorists will be all over it.

If ASADA's investigation is shown to have lacked propriety, I would hope some form of action against ASADA is progressed.

the conch

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If ASADA's investigation is shown to have lacked propriety, I would hope some form of action against ASADA is progressed.
Geez... what a nerve... It's EFC and Hird's lack of propriety in so many ways that is the core issue (sorry for going off topic ... It's GG's fault.)

Valleyboy9

All Australian
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

If it comes to be, I also hope the parents of any player that has been provided/injected with any foreign/illegal, substance or drug, takes legal action against the Essendon football Club and takes them for every cent the club has.

In the event the tribunal finds against them their fallback position seems a bit precarious for a couple of reasons. (1) Many athletes have tried to play this angle, only to be thwarted by the strict liability provisions.

Strict liability provisions, as applies to an AAF?

Not sure this would be applicable here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back