Society/Culture Anti-Muslim terrorists assault 'good samaritan' on Melbourne train

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know if I've taken liberties with the word 'terrorist' in the subject heading, but dictionary dot com defines 'terrorism' thusly;

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

terrorism
noun
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization

Anyway, keep this in mind as you read the following article.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/g...ere-abused-on-melbourne-train-20150526-gh9j6x

A commuter was assaulted after he stood up for three Muslim women who were subject to a vile racial and bigoted attack on a packed Melbourne train.

Jason Cias, 36, was travelling home from work in the city on the Craigieburn-bound train on Friday, May 15, when he saw two tradesmen vilifying three women - one older and two who appeared to be in their 20s - who were wearing headscarves...

"...One of them made reference to her headscarf, saying 'You shouldn't be wearing that s**t in Australia'," Mr Cias said. Mr Cias said the young woman tried to put the men in their place, asking them what their problem was, and it sparked a heated exchange.

He said the older of the women appeared to try to calm the situation in Arabic, which was met with yet another barb from the men.

"The comment was, 'You shouldn't be speaking that s**t in Australia'," Mr Cias said.

The women got off the train at North Melbourne and it was when one of the men called after them 'I'll f---ing smash ya' that Mr Cias stepped in...

...Mr Cias said he was told to mind his own business before one of the men stood over him and punched him to his left cheek. Mr Cias, who suffered bruising and swelling but no long-term injuries, said he would change only one thing about what he did.

"I would have liked to have said something earlier. That's probably my only thing ... but I certainly wouldn't change what I did, I don't agree with that behaviour," he said.

"...it's just not right they can abuse people like that. No one should be doing that to anyone regardless of race or gender or religious creed."

Sure it was no Lindt Café, and an argument might be made that my use of 'terrorists' in the subject line might lessen, demean or even mock more serious incidents of terrorism and its victims - but do you actually need a gun or a bomb to terrorise or instil fear in those whose behaviour you wish to modify through violence?

I don't think so.

I don't know if I've taken liberties with the word 'terrorist' in the subject heading, but dictionary dot com defines 'terrorism' thusly;

Anyway, keep this in mind as you read the following article.

Sure it was no Lindt Café, and an argument might be made that my use of 'terrorists' in the subject line might lessen, demean or even mock more serious incidents of terrorism and its victims - but do you actually need a gun or a bomb to terrorise or instil fear in those whose behaviour you wish to modify through violence?

I don't think so.

armed robbery is a form of terrorism...anyway, just wondering how his boss feels about this type of behaviour. Lindt Cafe was the work of a schizophrenic mad-man who was clearly, mentally ill.

I read this story yesterday and wondered to myself wtf is wrong with our youth..these are the types we should be denying passports to! Tony's Tradies.

armed robbery is a form of terrorism...

It is? Everyday someone is fined by an armed man for a victimless crime that a politician created for the very purpose of raising funds.

You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side
Break on through to the other side, yeah

"One of them made reference to her headscarf, saying 'You shouldn't be wearing that s**t in Australia'," Mr Cias said.

1432680679124.jpg

articulate and handsome

Tony's Tradies.

:thumbsu:

Interesting point Sicko

When Sudanese beat the daylights out of people on Melbourne public transport is that terrorism too?

Disgraceful behaviour, i have no issues with this being labelled terrorism. In all criminal activities e.g.. rape, murder, assault there are degrees of extremity, but the fact remains they are terrorists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confused now. Does terrorism have to be racially motivated?

Muslims aren't a race. Nor are Jews. Cant they be victims / perps? They are in OP

Okay. There is racism - seeking to divide based on race. There is bigotry - seeking to divide based on religious and/or cultural differences. Both I find equally as bad as the other. Not the same name, but very much the same concept.

"You're different than me, so f*ck off. I deny you your dignity and your humanity. We are not equals."

Terrorism - the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce. There are differences in scale and effect for sure meds, but the INTENT is what informs the label.

Terrorism. The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce.

"You're different than me, so f*ck off. I deny you your dignity and your humanity. We are not equals."

I'm happy to run with that with respect to the French. I find it ridiculous to argue that all cultures are as worthy as each other.

Ditto religions. Take the Catholic church, there are many reasons to find it abhorrent. Bigotry? Possibly, but I would say its nothing that isn't deserved. Ditto for the white flag wavers.

Its bad enough all the Mickey Mouse big brother crap we have without expanding the definition of Terrorism.

It was out of hand with Howards idiotic fridge magnets, its beyond a joke now

I find it ridiculous to argue that all cultures are as worthy as each other.

I approach cultures as I approach individuals - every one's worthy until they prove otherwise. I meet someone new, I smile, shake their hand and greet them. If I get the thousand-yard stare then obviously it's not gonna work out but how would I know unless I was initially approachable in my own demeanour?

Everyone's equal in my book, until they prove otherwise. And every culture has arseholes - nobody goes through life without meeting someone they end up disliking, if not outright hating.

Disgraceful behaviour, i have no issues with this being labelled terrorism. In all criminal activities e.g.. rape, murder, assault there are degrees of extremity, but the fact remains they are terrorists.
If its racially motivated then yes. Yes it is.

I prefer the Wikipedia definition.

Terrorism is commonly defined as violent acts (or the threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for an economic,[1] religious, political, or ideological goal, and which deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (e.g., neutralmilitary personnel or civilians)

I know this is a serious issue but I can't help but lol at the pic, the bogan epitmoizes boganess. The good Samaritan looks like a comedian, with the greyish hair I think he appears on ABC can't think of his name. The pic captures a moment brilliantly, was it acting?

In all seriousness, a despicable act.

Okay. There is racism - seeking to divide based on race. There is bigotry - seeking to divide based on religious and/or cultural differences. Both I find equally as bad as the other. Not the same name, but very much the same concept.

That's the history of Homo sapiens full stop GS. It's not limited to just outer Melbourne bogan scum (although there's obviously no shortage of that). I'd define it absolutely as bigotry or ethnocentrism - as you rightly point out, my group is all that is correct and normal, everything else, alien.

The sooner people realise 'race' doesn't exist the better.

I know this is a serious issue but I can't help but lol at the pic, the bogan epitmoizes boganess. The good Samaritan looks like a comedian, with the greyish hair I think he appears on ABC can't think of his name. The pic captures a moment brilliantly, was it acting?

In all seriousness, a despicable act.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back