Science/Environment Anti-vacc Crazies at it again. Post appropriate outrage ITT

Discussion in 'Society, Religion and Politics' started by Chief, May 14, 2013.

Put it out there
  1. Chief

Chief Admin

Carlton
    Other teams:
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...ammed-by-doctors/story-fngnvlxu-1226641292628

Freakin nutter...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Chief

Chief Admin

Carlton
    Other teams:
    What the...

3. rayven

rayven Norm Smith Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    PC racing
  4. mantis

mantis Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Bombers
    Great, Yarra ranges is where both myself & my pregnant daughter live. :(

It's going to be risky taking her bubs out, until it has had it's vaccinations.

5. MrCharisma

MrCharisma Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:

A Mike Adams "health ranger " story? Puhhlease .

[​IMG]

jpkennedy and Ghossein like this.
  6. Tassieboy

Tassieboy Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Hurricanes
    Kynge of Begrem likes this.
  7. evo

evo Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    One of my partners besties has gone full psycho, but in the other direction. Recently she had a baby which of course everyone must view ("come and see the baaaabee">Seinfeld) but you must get a whooping cough vaccination first.

Striker475, nicky and MrCharisma like this.
  8. Niximus

Niximus Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redlegs
    Wow!

Well if you were worried that our society was actively selecting for the stupid (like Idiocracy) the anti-vax movement might be the countering force to that trend.

Grin likes this.
  9. radiojake

radiojake Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Labour In Vain Football Club
    Generally, I'm certainly not 'anti'-vaccines, but I'm certainly not over the top about all of them..

I work at a medical clinic and every year we can get the flu shot for free, but I always decline it and have never had one... In a way I sometimes think working there has actually built my immunity up to some point...

I was under the impression that if children are not fully immunised, then the family is not entitled to any government welfare payments?

nicky likes this.
  10. blueboy25

blueboy25 Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    West Perth, Tottenham
    My 3yo boy had his whooping cough vaccination but still contacted it about 2 months ago and luckily it was a quite a mild strain.

It went through his day care centre and most kids only got mild cases apart from one poor kid who ended up in hospital with it. He was coughing so badly all the blood vessels in his face burst.

11. mantis

mantis Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Bombers
    I never get Flu shots, I figure at my age my immunity has built up sufficiently, I haven't had the flu for years.

Werewolf and Herne Hill Hammer like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. kickazz

kickazz Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Throw them all on an island somewhere away from the rest of us.

Seriously, these people need to talk to some baby boomers about kids that got Polio, or to nurses that work with babies who get Whooping Cough.

The worst is the stupid logic I've heard - "oh he wass diagnosed with Autism two months after such and such vaccine. So that is what caused it". OK, going by that logic, those Rubella shots all the girls in my class got in grade 6 made them grow breasts and begin to menstruate....

Dunno about govt payments being witheld, but good to see a lot of child care centres etc wanting to see proof of vaccinations.

Aeglos, Grin, chelseacarlton and 6 others like this.
  13. kickazz

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Reading some of the baffling parts you highlighted Chief, and I think it is an example of a bigger problem in society. Science is not respected as it once was, perhaps unless it's a 'new' discovery. People just seem to get bored of well-established truths and 'alternative views' become a sexier read.

Imagine if a drug/vaccine came out now that made it almost impossible for your child to get luekemia*. Everyone would be bending over backwards to get it for their children. All the talk would be about how great the discover is, what heroes the scientists are.

Then 50 years from now, with the disease long forgotten, I'm sure the nutters would come out again....

*yeah I know it's not contagious but yeah u get the drift.

Aeglos and mantis like this.
  14. kickazz

Geelong
    Other teams:
    One more point:

If I am HIV positive and have sex with someone without telling them (that I have HIV, not that I am am having sex with them:p) , and they get HIV, then I am criminally culpable for their condition.

If I have a child I refuse to vaccinate against something, that child gets a disease and then passes on to another child, should I be criminally culpable for that childs condition?

My answer would be no, it's going too far. But I should be able to be sued for all medical expenses.

Kynge of Begrem, _007_ and L_W_P like this.
  15. skilts

skilts Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Lexton, Northcote Park
    I was one of the kids who contracted Polio in 1950s. For three days non-stop, my mother applied her 'old wives tale' of vinegar compresses to the back of my neck, to alleviate and draw out the fever. It worked. I'm so glad it did, because I saw the ten kids at my school who returned after six months away, who were in various stages of being crippled. This was in that hideous period where everyone knew there was a major problem, but before the vaccine was developed and available. I've never understood parents who think it better that their children die, rather than them pursuing their ill-founded and mindless agenda.

CrowEater888 likes this.
  16. Illinois Nazi

Illinois Nazi Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Whoever's winning
    In the paper this morning it says even the Taliban have decided to stop opposing Polio vaccination.

17. MrCharisma

MrCharisma Club Legend

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Even Kim Jong Un came out and described vaccine refusers as " bat shit crazy " and made comments like " these f*ckers must have a death wish" . And this was after he threatened the US .

18. Pie eyed

Pie eyed Premium Platinum

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Magpies
    This post would have been more believable if.......

19. cancat

cancat Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    These days only parts of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria are endemic with Polio. But in Australia we haven't had a recorded case for over 20 years. There were only 223 reported cases worldwide in 2012. When does the risk of the side effects outweigh the risk of contracting the disease?

20. Happy Mastenator

Happy Mastenator Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    what proven side affects?

jpkennedy, Kynge of Begrem and mantis like this.
  21. Niximus

Niximus Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Redlegs
    As an individual in Australia, your risk of contracting polio doesn't really go up much if you're not vaccinated. The problem is, this is because you benefit from most other people being immunised.

It would be a very selfish action, because if everyone else followed your lead we would end up with a large amount of people contracting it.

Schulzenfest and mantis like this.
  22. Snake_Baker

Snake_Baker Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Question time is that way^^^^^

23. cancat

cancat Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    In most countries, OPV remains the vaccine of choice in routine immunization schedules and supplementary immunization activities.

Where more than one type of wild poliovirus is circulating, OPV is epidemiologically and operationally the best vaccine to use because protection develops to each of the three types of polio virus.

Although OPV is safe and effective, in extremely rare cases (approx. 1 in every 2.7 million first doses of the vaccine) the live attenuated vaccine virus in OPV can cause paralysis.

http://www.polioeradication.org/Polioandprevention/Thevaccines/OralpoliovaccineOPV.aspx

Australia switched to IPV because it does not have the side effects. IPV is less effective and more expensive than OPV but the decision was also based on the fact that the risk of contracting Polio in Australia is almost non-existent. Perhaps IPV in Australia should continue until Polio is completely eradicated worldwide?

Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nigeria - and the countries bordering them - have a more difficult problem assessing the efficacy, risk of side effects and cost of IPV versus OPV versus non-vaccination.

24. J_Moore

J_Moore Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    No, they are, they just need to register as a conscientious objector.

The flu vaccine is a bit different to your childhood schedule, though.

25. TheMase

TheMase Brownlow Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans
    Any experience with this? My partner works at a school specifically for autistic children early intervention. She told me of one particular parent who said immediately after one of the vaccines her daughters behaviour changed. Soon after the docs said she had autism.

The mother was adamant this happened, and straight away she regressed. An example of this was she used to run to meet her dad at the door every day after work without fail. Immediately after the vaccine this changed, she stopped associating with him altogether. Never spoke again etc...

Plenty of court settlements in some countries seem to indicate some link, otherwise they wouldn't pay out or lose the cases...

I don't think it is all cases but I have no doubt there is some link in some cases. Plenty more allergies since vaccines were brought in too so I think it is naive to think there are no other side effects.

I have never had the flu shot and never get sick let alone the flu.

nicky likes this.