Player Watch Anton Tohill (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as im lenient on other first game players. I dont feel comfortable seeing Tohill manning a key forward.
Doesnt seem to have it.

I love the international experiement and understand it costs us next to nothing. But i hope we dont sacrifice our list balance by counting Tohill and Keane as KPD prospects.

As much as im lenient on other first game players. I dont feel comfortable seeing Tohill manning a key forward.
Doesnt seem to have it.

I love the international experiement and understand it costs us next to nothing. But i hope we dont sacrifice our list balance by counting Tohill and Keane as KPD prospects.

We need to play both for the remainder of the season to make a real judgment on their futures. I'm prepared to blame covid for their slow development but there is no excuse for not being able to put weight on our players

Not everyone gets 30-40 AFL games
You are right not everyone does 30 or 40 games but he plays a position where we need him to come on, besides which maybe with players like Moore and Howe in the side he is not in the spotlight so much. He and Keane have to be given time they are not ready yet they may never be ready but they must be given a chance for our sake as well as theirs.

Not the worst first game I've seen from a kid thrown into the fire against a decent team with three mature taller forwards and he showed he has composure in a few of the passages of play he was involved in. For a late comer to the game he has a really nice raking kick with decent penetration on him as well.

Worth persisting with for another year or two I think, especially given the heavily interrupted past couple of years he's had during what would be considered by most to be key formative seasons.

Last edited:
Ben Reid replacement with his kicking? Reid looked shakey early days but the rest is history. Hopefully comes on without the injury.

Is it a future in football, however?

Maybe a smidge closer to yay than nay after his performance last night, looked composed with ball in hand, made good decisions, has a nice kick and his timing on defensive actions got better as the game wore on. Difficult night for defenders overall given the umpiring and how freely Port were moving the ball through the middle of the ground a lot of the time.

No harm now in giving him a few consecutive games and seeing if he can make a stronger case for being retained on the list over the off season imo.

Last edited:
Its mind boggling tbh
I'd like to see quotes of people who wrote him off. I saw lots of people comment on his terrible first three games saying he was not ready to play at the highest level.
I was critical of his early efforts but always said I thought he would become a good player based on what I had seen in the VFL..
I get annoyed by hypersensitive revisionists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see quotes of people who wrote him off. I saw lots of people comment on his terrible first three games saying he was not ready to play at the highest level.
I was critical of his early efforts but always said I thought he would become a good player based on what I had seen in the VFL..
Been plenty overly critical of the kids That’s my point. 50 gamers are open to it, kids learning the ropes are going to make many many mistakes. Because we are performing poorly on and off the field the expectations are just to high atm.

Been plenty overly critical of the kids That’s my point. 50 gamers are open to it, kids learning the ropes are going to make many many mistakes. Because we are performing poorly on and off the field the expectations are just to high atm.
Fair enough but you can't get upset with people for offering their opinion on a player's performance. Fans have done this since the dawn of time. Making judgements about a new recruit is one of the favourite pastimes of footy supporters. Sometimes they are proven right and sometimes embarrassingly wrong. Plenty of young kids get glowing praise after one game and I'm sure you don't tell them to hold back their praise until we have a better sample size to critique.🙂

Fair enough but you can't get upset with people for offering their opinion on a player's performance. Fans have done this since the dawn of time. Making judgements about a new recruit is one of the favourite pastimes of footy supporters. Sometimes they are proven right and sometimes embarrassingly wrong. Plenty of young kids get glowing praise after one game and I'm sure you don't tell them to hold back their praise until we have a better sample size to critique.🙂
I don't like being negative towards first gamers or young players , i do like to see something positive from a game, to me he looked lost was easily out positioned in contest, wasn't judging the ball flight very well, pressure around the contest was ordinary ,and i know he is inexperienced ect ect , but i do not see a future in afl for him just because he is 200 cm ,we could find dozens of footballers same age bracket in sanfl ,wafl, vfl that are better than he will ever be. Just my opinion but i think this trying to find an international who can learn to play in 5 or 6 years is a stupid approach to recruiting.

I don't like being negative towards first gamers or young players , i do like to see something positive from a game, to me he looked lost was easily out positioned in contest, wasn't judging the ball flight very well, pressure around the contest was ordinary ,and i know he is inexperienced ect ect , but i do not see a future in afl for him just because he is 200 cm ,we could find dozens of footballers same age bracket in sanfl ,wafl, vfl that are better than he will ever be. Just my opinion but i think this trying to find an international who can learn to play in 5 or 6 years is a stupid approach to recruiting.
I agree.

Good on him for putting in the hard work to get a game. Not sure if he has a long term future and he wasn't great against Port but you can see what the coaches like: Big lad, decent speed and seems a thumping kick. Again not sure if he will make it but he does have some good raw attributes.

he might make a good gaelic footballer....

Tohill has played 3 games?
Your confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was Maynard when he first started? Toovey? it was his first game against a top 4 team that won inside 50’s by 20! And had how many easy deep forward entries through the middle ? Our defenders were under pressure the entire game

i believe that is missing the point. Those players would have shown something at a junior level.

Seems to be the same people who wrote off Henry after his first few games.

big difference between top end talent and an Irish experiment.

I dont know if we are trying to be clever by beating the system. Geelong plucked Stewart from local footy and have developed him. Ditto what we did with Checkers from Port Melbourne.

We don’t need to start from ground zero. surely there are players with a decent base that we can work with.

How was Maynard when he first started? Toovey? it was his first game against a top 4 team that won inside 50’s by 20! And had how many easy deep forward entries through the middle ? Our defenders were under pressure the entire game
Possum was god from day one buddy.
Better watch ya P's an Q's champ.!!!

Was he that bad ?
Looked really nervous - a bit petrified early. Got better, but still appeared nervous in that he clenched the fist at every opportunity, even when he had an opportunity to mark. Looked like an OK kick, but just went safe down the line. Unless you've seen him in the VFL, God knows where he is at.

I like Keane more, but Keane is 192 i think, while Tohill is 200.

Having said that he didnt seem to have a lot of reach or presence at that size.

I'll give him some more time, but I think he was lucky going off what I saw at VFL. Mostly inconspicuous at that level, whereas Keane's howlers were because he actually had the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back