Player Watch Anton Tohill (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he ready?
For those that have watched him and his form in the VFL--is he ready to play senior footy?

I doubt it. He has improved tremendously. Great height, elite athleticism, lovely skills. He has become quite good at getting a fist in and killing a contest. Indeed 1 recent VFL game I likened him to Presti. But for me, he does this sometimes but not often enough yet. He isn’t always playing with authority. I’d happily give him another year to develop, but wouldn’t play him yet. He still needs to work on his body to body stuff and can get out bustled in a marking contest too easily. I suspect he will do well on the athletic Marshall who isn’t all that physical. I wouldn’t like to see him on physical forwards like Georgiadis let alone Charlie Dixon..

of course I hope he plays a blinder

My take- Dragged him deep and tried to exploit him. He tried to take the front position but got caught under it a few times. First 5 mins were heart in mouth stuff, probably got better but a shaky first up go… probably similar to Keane’s. With talk of Howe back and probably Mayne will be interesting to see if he gets 1 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s so harsh - but the reality in my mind is he’ll never make it.

Tohill is 19yo? His development curve has been steep and in the right direction. Give the bloke 30-40 games of AFL footy then we can assess.

Tohill is 19yo? His development curve has been steep and in the right direction. Give the bloke 30-40 games of AFL footy then we can assess.
21 years old actually. Wasn't his best intro to AFL Level, but neither was Ollie's debut.

Found his selection very strange. I also found the club spruiking “three year project” on social media.

Thats a wasted three years. Surely there is a tall kid at local football that after three years would be far more advanced?

To pin our key position defensive stocks on two Irish blokes was/is madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Tohill showed some good signs for a first game. Unfortunately, he suffers from the same gym disease as a lot of our players do. Do we have a gym?, do players use it?, Tohill with an extra 7kg will be a good player. Just put him on a big mac dipped in lard diet over summer and put some weight on the poor kid

You have to wonder what was there 3 years ago to convince the club that he had an aptitude for the game. He is 2 metres tall but he's another big bloke with no physical presence. I am puzzled what makes him so special that we bring him half way around the world to play footy. I just had a look at zach tuohy's stats and he debuted as a 21 year old and averaged low stats for 4 or 5 years. Jim stynes debuted as a 21 year old and was good after a few games. I dont think Anton is going to show much this year and maybe the next, if at all. When does he pull the pin and start his medical studies? I just cant see how this is going to work out.

Didn't see game

Gonna watch replay

What I did see is Henry is a gun

Tohill and Keane need to play last few games .

Needs a few games to pick up the pace

Was he that bad ?

Good on him for putting in the hard work to get a game. Not sure if he has a long term future and he wasn't great against Port but you can see what the coaches like: Big lad, decent speed and seems a thumping kick. Again not sure if he will make it but he does have some good raw attributes.

21 years old actually. Wasn't his best intro to AFL Level, but neither was Ollie's debut.

Thanks Jen. He's still young. I reckon we can get too impatient with debutants sometimes. The pace of AFL takes most players time to adjust to.

Didn't see game

Gonna watch replay

What I did see is Henry is a gun

Tohill and Keane need to play last few games .

Needs a few games to pick up the pace

Was he that bad ?
Was a poor start, but I'd forgive him and he will be better for the run. Just have no choice but to play him now that they have blooded him.

Also, we need to get games into both Irishmen. Play them both because they just need games. If no VFL, then AFL. Win loss doesn't matter any more, although hate losing.

How was Maynard when he first started? Toovey? it was his first game against a top 4 team that won inside 50’s by 20! And had how many easy deep forward entries through the middle ? Our defenders were under pressure the entire game
Every young defender is never going to make it

I thought he showed a bit and wasn’t too bad. Difficult debut match. Still has a lot to learn but the athleticism and attitude makes him a chance

Not everyone gets 30-40 AFL games

To those who thought he showed a bit what exactly was it that he showed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back