Ants, ants, everywhere!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had a thriving metropolis' of them around the yard and sheds in recent months but luckily not in the house until now.
Copped 40mm of rain overnight down here and the whole place is dripping with humidity, so they've now migrated inside, running through everything in the kitchen :(

Not sure if this will help you or not -

If you know where they are coming in (a crack in the wall etc) plug it with Steel Wool, for some reason they don't like it.

I find if there a some hanging around walking on the benches, I wipe the benches down and then sprinkle with Talcum Powder. Ants hate this stuff - it sticks to their feet and they get stuck in it. You just sweep the powder and the ants up and put in bin. Wipe the benches. This does work.

A friend of my co-workers had the same dilemma her way of dealing with it was to keep throwing water on them her reasoning was if she drowned them all...the message would get out to the other ants that they would all drown if they ventured in her house...Ohhh, I absolutely laughed so much I was in tears as the story was relayed to me.
Ahh the tried and true method of drowning the ******** of them. I have just been away for three days, and came back to my room where i had some chocolate on the desk, only to find it infested with ants. Take it to a sink and drown them simple. It feels great, and all the little mother********ers get the death penalty served upon them. I'm not into prevention, much prefer revenge :)

Not sure if this will help you or not -

If you know where they are coming in (a crack in the wall etc) plug it with Steel Wool, for some reason they don't like it.

I find if there a some hanging around walking on the benches, I wipe the benches down and then sprinkle with Talcum Powder. Ants hate this stuff - it sticks to their feet and they get stuck in it. You just sweep the powder and the ants up and put in bin. Wipe the benches. This does work.

Thank you, but the ant sand seems to be working a-ok. Used about 2 packets of the stuff (on the label it says about half of one :D ), and we have like this barrier around the flat. One or two ants break through, but that is literally about it. :thumbsu:

Given Ant-rid yet another go, out of desparation, despite my kitchen being pretty much spotless. It absolutely doesn't do a thing. Back to the vacuum cleaner...

Given Ant-rid yet another go, out of desparation, despite my kitchen being pretty much spotless. It absolutely doesn't do a thing. Back to the vacuum cleaner...

Was going to get ant-rid myself.. but that stuff claims to get the ants in, then they go back to their nests and kill the whole lot of them. The ant sand stuff claims to kill the buggers, outside before they get in. Was a no brainer as to which one to get.

Anyway try the sand!! Unless if you have pets outside, then i think it may be dangerous to use.

Poor lil ants, all they are after is water and a bit of tucker.

I never kill them, i find where they are getting in from the outside and put a lil dish of water and crumbs there and they stop comming inside.

Poor lil ants, all they are after is water and a bit of tucker.

I never kill them, i find where they are getting in from the outside and put a lil dish of water and crumbs there and they stop comming inside.

Good policy. Mate of mine asked a science boffin who was an expert on ants how to get rid of them from his bench tops. The bloke's suggestion was to leave a pile of sugar on the floor. It also saves them the trouble of climbing.

Oh you guys are gonna laugh at this!! Seems like we have a cockroach problem now!!! There seems to be a little nest of them, nearby, and maybe due to the heat a few of them have invaded the house. I found the 3rd one on the doorstep about to make his way into the kitchen. Possibly to grab a beer, i dunno, but imo, 3 strikes ya out. Gonna out-door mortein em tomorrow.

:D :thumbsu:

We've had a lot more snakes around this year. Co-incidently we've had less roaches and toads. Don't think they eat the toads, but maybe the roaches? Anyway, there's less of them so I'm happy, and the snakes (amethystine pythons) aint big enough (yet) to eat the dogs so they're not a worry either.

Oh you guys are gonna laugh at this!! Seems like we have a cockroach problem now!!! There seems to be a little nest of them, nearby, and maybe due to the heat a few of them have invaded the house. I found the 3rd one on the doorstep about to make his way into the kitchen. Possibly to grab a beer, i dunno, but imo, 3 strikes ya out. Gonna out-door mortein em tomorrow.

:D :thumbsu:

i find the best way to kill one of those barstards is to hit it a few times with a shoe/newspaper/whatever and then go to work on its stunned body with matches :D

We've had a huge problem with ants inside the house this summer. Last summer we had the house professionally sprayed outside and it worked a treat, although it is expensive.

This summer we've tried ant-rid and for us it's done the job. We left the liquid ant-rid OUTSIDE the house where it attracted them. We keep putting out every few days and there are getting less and less. Ever since we did it, we've had no ants inside the house either. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a lot more snakes around this year. Co-incidently we've had less roaches and toads. Don't think they eat the toads, but maybe the roaches? Anyway, there's less of them so I'm happy, and the snakes (amethystine pythons) aint big enough (yet) to eat the dogs so they're not a worry either.
You lucky bastard. You get pythons, I get King Browns, and Red Bellies. You certainly live the sweet life.

i find the best way to kill one of those barstards is to hit it a few times with a shoe/newspaper/whatever and then go to work on its stunned body with matches :D

Bahahaha... you make me nervous sometimes PN. :D

Ew, I try and stay as well clear from those critters as possible!! For some reason they freak me out more than spiders do! Anyway, morteined em this morning and it seems to be working. A few of them crawled out of their hiding spots and are now dead out on the concrete. I guess I will light them up later.

PS. Hows KKs training going? Here's a tip... get him to practise his goal kicking... again.. and again... and again.. ;)

You lucky bastard. You get pythons, I get King Browns, and Red Bellies. You certainly live the sweet life.

Ahh, we also get both types of Taipans, KBrowns, Redbellies & Night Tigers. The pythons get big though. There was a pic on the front page of the local paper a few months back of a python swallowing a wallaby in the middle of the Palm Cove golf course. Got to watch the dogs a bit. Generally if they go ballistic it means there's something large creeping up from the river. :)

Ants have kinda gone, now ive got an invasion of centepides (or millipedes - cant tell the diff). black, lots of legs but seem to die when inside the house for a while. little buggers are everywhere.

oh that and jumping spiders.

What say we do a swap. Your centepides for my cane toads????? The effffing rain we've had on and off has assisted the breeding programme of these vermin. Nothing like a good squirt of Dettol wipes em out.

What say we do a swap. Your centepides for my cane toads????? The effffing rain we've had on and off has assisted the breeding programme of these vermin. Nothing like a good squirt of Dettol wipes em out.

guns should be made legal in qld to wipe out these vermin.

for anyone who doen't want to die themselves from all these pesticides they're using :eek:

boiling water on the ants where practicable & cucumber peel for the roaches - throw the peel behind your sofas/ fridges whatever it won't smell or anything

for anyone who doen't want to die themselves from all these pesticides they're using :eek:

boiling water on the ants where practicable & cucumber peel for the roaches - throw the peel behind your sofas/ fridges whatever it won't smell or anything

Like the sound of cucumber, by the way any kind of cucumber and for how long do you leave it under the sofa/fridge etc???

If all is clean isn't mega ants a sign of rain?

Like the sound of cucumber, by the way any kind of cucumber and for how long do you leave it under the sofa/fridge etc???

If all is clean isn't mega ants a sign of rain?

cucumber can just stay there until dust if you choose - any kind of cucumber anytime you make a salad or whatever just chuck the peel somewhere

re mega ants we don;t get a lot of rain here in WA - so i was only saying about the water up to the user's discretion depending on where the ants were.
ie i wouldn't be pouring boiling water on carpets

but filling the inside of your house with a border of ant sand and leaving it there would not be doing your health any good at all:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back