Ant's Rant - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3 rant :)

3 from 3, not convincing in any but the wins are on the board.

Goal kicking still an issue, should have been up by 7 goals at quarter time.

At the ground you could see very early in the second quarter we where in for a fight as our blokes came out thinking they could play hollywood footy and the Suns where hard at it and out running us.

Reimers, will never get it. Out of position too often, stands around at half forward while his man is up the other end of the ground getting a kick and simply does not work hard enough.

Davey still has the same old issues, fumbles all the time, chases blokes he has no hope of catching and is a poor front and centre player for a small forward. Need to see more of his third quarter effort when they manage to turn the GC around at the back of the zone and use his pace back the other way.

Come to think of it when it was raining i do not know why they did not clear out the 50 and set up with Davey, Jettta and Remiers around the arc and simply kick the ball long and over. It was working well for GC, certainly working better than T-Bell one out trying to mark in the rain. Coaches must have been eating salad roles at that stage.

We got a real beating in the clearances during the second and third quarters, not sure why they did not change what they where doing as the GC kept pulling the same move every second clearance at one stage. Someone had to put their hand up and say i am going to stand on this side and stop them from doing that.

Gary Ablett, amazing player, reads the play in close better than any player i have seen play.

Great Stadium but a pain in the but to get out of after the game.

No super shocks in the other games other than maybe the margin in the Blues v Pies game. I know they have injuries but they are not playing the same all for one style of footy they where playing, their zone has been horrid and the defensive roll over virtually non existent. Maybe losing the GF and Mick has zapped a bit of the passion deep inside and the fire is not burning as bright.

McCartney may be wishing he had stayed with us by the end of the year. Dogs need to start looking at the draft and start working out who is trade bait.

No TAC news this week.

Re: Ant's Rant: Round 3 edition

Ant, at the ground did you notice a difference in our positioning in the last in relation to how far we didnt press up?

I ask as I went friday night and sat high up as usual (IMHO the only place you can really watch a modern game of AFL), and it is noticeable that Carlton did NOT press up as much as Collingwood did, in fact two of Henderson, sometimes Jamieson, Laidler, Yarran would stand half a kick, to a kick behind the first Collingwood player.

This meant that when they did butcher it, and they did a fair bit, Collingwood really struggled to work much as those sweeper types could cut off any over the top ball, or the collingwood forwards couldnt lead back into space.

On the flip, when Collingwood pressed and Carlton got that possession, Collingwood reminded me of us, just pushed too far up and their forwards had a birthday with a paddock to lead into, out of and could run. This plays right into their fast forwards' hands.

This has been driving me nuts with us, but I reckon I saw a change in the last. Unfortunately, watching the game on TV reveals not enough, but it was clear that the GC got their best score on the board when we were actually dominating play. But, we dominate (albiet without clearances), we push up, and they broke, got it over the top and scored goal after goal.

In the last though, it seemed from TV and I have reviewed and tried to see as best I could on TV, Fletcher seemed to be playing that kick behind the press if you like, and was able to influence multiple GC attacks.

That over the top to Matera or whoever else, suddenly became unstuck as we had Fletch to cut it off. Fletcher was also the direct result in a couple of rushed points, being able to influence being ahead of them.

They scored 1 goal in the last, when the 2nd and third quarters saw them score often, through our press to a basically vacant half of a ground.

We, and many other teams, have to realise that you cant press as much as in the past, as teams have it worked out and are simply scoring too often.

Carlton realise this, and I think apply a modified press, and have the leg speed in personnel to pull off 20 goal games of scrappy, non traditionally structured goals.

Davey still has the same old issues, fumbles all the time, chases blokes he has no hope of catching and is a poor front and centre player for a small forward. Need to see more of his third quarter effort when they manage to turn the GC around at the back of the zone and use his pace back the other way.

Do you have any news on Dell? I don't know If I was given some misinformation but I was told he was getting promoted before round 1. Source is normally very reliable.

It's pretty apparent that Davey isn't going to suddenly improve. He is what he is. Time to try a few new things surely?

Had to laugh at Darcy when he went on about how Davey should be playing every game in the seniors and being shocked that he doesn't. :D

Is it even a press with Carlton, though? Sure, they structure up, but IMO if it's not a high press then it's not a press at all.

Carlton just play hard and fast football. Their best characteristic is their ball movement as a team - quickly and with consistent team movements.

They BLOCK for each other. It's amazing how many teams don't do this well enough. Hell, even when I was playing u 13s, the best teams would always shepherd for each other.

The Essendon way = move into position over the top of the opponent to receive a handball from your teammate.

The Carlton way = block for your teammate so he can continue to move the ball an spot up and option with a kick. The benefit of this is that it gets to the forward 50 more quickly and it means that you don't have to turn your head to receive the ball, then turn it back towards your 50 to look for an option.

Hird mentioned last night that we still have the habit of handballing rather than kicking. I'm encouraged that he is acknowledging this and I assume it will take time to get it out of our systems from the Knights era.

We are effectively learning to play football all over again. It's like learning a second language as an adult. It won't happen overnight.

How is that a bad thing? Would you rather he just stand there and watch? He was putting on pressure and actually showing some effort, unlike most of his mates out there last night. Ridiculous criticism to level.

Do you have any news on Dell? I don't know If I was given some misinformation but I was told he was getting promoted before round 1. Source is normally very reliable.

It's pretty apparent that Davey isn't going to suddenly improve. He is what he is. Time to try a few new things surely?

Had to laugh at Darcy when he went on about how Davey should be playing every game in the seniors and being shocked that he doesn't. :D

yeh, odd comments...

Surley its time to give Dell'olio his chance, going round in circles with these other blokes.

How is that a bad thing? Would you rather he just stand there and watch? He was putting on pressure and actually showing some effort, unlike most of his mates out there last night. Ridiculous criticism to level.
Well for one, I would say it puts him out of position and it leaves a free player to pass to.

Didn't he say something like "he should play every week and be an unbelievable player"?

****ing muppet. I was swearing at the TV.

Good post Smokin.

I mentioned two weeks ago about one player hanging out the back of the zone.

Has two advantages

1) Should concede few goals over the back
2) Good positioning allows you to also cover the fat part of the ground.

Game is too quick at AFL level to take off after someone who is 30 meters to your right, the better option is to push up the ground and read the next possession or even the one after that.
No i do not suggest he just stand there, it is called footy smarts and i have a few blokes in my under 18 side who have worked on it and found they can double their influence on the game by reading the next position or even the third possession rather than running to somewhere you can not make.
You burn yourself out running to spots you have no hope of getting to and you have to know what contests you can effect and the ones you can not and i am not talking about from behind, should always try and pressure the play from behind if you can.

To answer Smokins question yes we do press up too far and compared to Carlton it can be a good 30 meters further up with our last guys up on the 50 arc. This does spell danger with quick rebound. I would have Fletcher back at least another 20 meters or so as the last sweeper.
Agree you get the best idea of what is going on by sitting on level 2 or higher, one of the reasons i hate watching TAC at Highgate as they have no stands.

What Mumbo says is true as well in the fact Carlton are doing the small team things better, blocking, roll over defence etc

The only real news i have on Del is round about news in the fact that a few players out of contract who had been going ok for Bendigo would be looked at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smokin

Thinking that your post about pushing the press back further, and dropping a man back is a throwback to the late 1990's, when Sheedy combated Pagan's Paddock by always leaving one defender out the back.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

So much about modern footy is about guarding space and it is unbelievable that we are pressing up so far as to leave the most vulnerable space on the ground unguarded.

Top post Smokin.

My observation of Davey was that he definitely looked a shell of the man he once was and that he is not very confident of his place in the side. I'd also like to mention that he was much cleaner by hand.

Lets just hope that the game against GC was a terrible game due to a good start and everyone getting a little selfish by running forward thinking they were going to get on the end of a few and bump up their goal tally for the year. Otherwise we are in for a torrid game against Carlton. We were smashed in the contests and we smashed in the spread, that is a horrible combination and if GC were a little more experienced and assured with their disposal could have blown us out of the water by three quarter time. Carlton on the other hand were fanatical in their pressure on Collingwood, maniacal in the contested situation and inspired in their running to spread for and support each other.

While I don't see Carlton as a major threat once the prelims start as they don't have enough big bodied mids or KPFs they have a lot of class and are playing inspired footy so will absolutely smash sides that are middle of the road or worse. Collingwood were horrible on the weekend as were our boys.

A FFS I'd like to have a good run with injuries please!! Lets see our list of available players grow and also allow us to make a sub at a point in the game of our choice .... after half time!!

Agree wholeheartedly with Somkin's views about the press.

I have been thinking for a while that there needs to be a rethink about how far up the ground you press (I commented in the review thread after last week's Pt Ad game).
Exactly what Smokin said about having a free player back in the space behind the current "high press", is what is needed. A lot of teams are getting scored on too easily on the break. Needs a rethink!

Also, until or unless we get a lot better at hitting someone on the lead going inside 50 (which we stink at), we are wasting our time and effort repeatedly going into a crowded forward 50. We have our best scoring bursts when we go straight from centre bounces or from the backline into space. The implication is to let the opposition out of our forward area (in a controlled slow way, if possible, using a "deep" press), rather than trying to keep it in with a high press.

Wait, people actually take notice of what Luke Darcy says???

Great post Smokin, exactly what i was thinking. Opposition go forward 10 times, score a goal 80%. Frustrating, it's like watching soccer when they score on the counter attack.

Hawks kept an extra man back against the Crows and seemed to work well, so can't see why we can't. And yes it did look like Fletch was playing further back a bit last quarter.

I reckon that's why Pears is struggling a bit. Tends to play better when he plays predominantly deeper in defence.

Listened to a bit of The Rub on MMM, and Darcy prattling away about "the name sitting to my left here" and Newman then dryly pointing out to him that it's radio and it doesn't matter where they're sitting.

Listened to a bit of The Rub on MMM, and Darcy prattling away about "the name sitting to my left here" and Newman then dryly pointing out to him that it's radio and it doesn't matter where they're sitting.

i love sammy newman. knocked down, knocked out and beat all around town, and still sharper than most in the business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back