Health Anxiety

Remove this Banner Ad

Im a recovered drug-addict but I still find my anxiety is through the roof. This is some of the stuff I used to experience before I kicked the Ice/cannabis addiction

Smoking makes me fatigued, tired and anxious (still addicted)
Drinking makes me depressed and full of lethargy (I rarely drink anymore)
Ice used to make me physically shake, teeth grind, stare at walls and become extremely paranoid/anxious/depressed
Cannabis the next day would make me anxious, flat, unmotivated and very lazy.
Synthetic Cannabis (DO NOT TOUCH this stuff!!!!)

At one point or another all of these contributed towards major anxiety, the worst in terms of long "persisting" anxiety had to be Ice, but if you want to mess up the mind with anxiety so bad that it makes you vomit - the synthetic cannabis is just horrible.

When I was clean, I used to have social phobia and anxiety, but through work on a telephone help desk, public speaking and giving presentations my anxiety did lesson.

Also, courage can help with anxiety, courage is best explained as something you do, you don't possess courage you DO courage.

Also pay attention to thoughts, and notice if it takes you up or down, and question thoughts that take you down, (best done without the effect of substances/drugs)

It sounds a bit silly but whilst of course of providing very temporary relief this imo actually works.

5. Follow the 3-3-3 rule.

Look around you and name three things you see. Then, name three sounds you hear. Finally, move three parts of your body — your ankle, fingers, or arm. Whenever you feel your brain going 100 miles per hour, this mental trick can help center your mind, bringing you back to the present moment, Chansky says.

Because of the teacher shortage and staff absence due to covid work has created anxiety in me that I've never experienced before. My anxiety levels have been through the roof recently.

I've had anxiety issues for pretty much my entire life, although it was only in my late 30s that I actually spoke to a doctor about it. Got referred to a psychologist who diagnosed it as generalised anxiety disorder. There is an element of depression there, too, although not as bad as the anxiety. Just having it diagnosed helped me deal with it a little bit - when I start to feel myself going in to that spiral of anxiety and catastrophising, it helps if I can stop myself and just tell myself that it's the anxiety disorder making me freak out, rather than whatever I'm actually freaking out about. The anxiety is a separate thing from the actual issue - if I didn't have that issue to be anxious about, the anxiety would just latch onto some other issue instead.

I've avoided the need for medication so far. I find what has helped me more than anything else is martial arts training. I took up karate years ago, mainly for the exercise, but once you get a basic level of proficiency in something like that and are able to start digging deeper into it, the training really helps. Lots of focusing internally on yourself.... are my feet in the right place, are my hands in the right place, do I have my weight distributed properly, do I have the right muscles tensed / relaxed at the right time. It's a really good mindfulness exercise that helps really focus the mind inwards on myself. No matter how frantically my brain is bouncing around in my head when I start, after 90 minutes of that I always feel a lot better. I would strongly recommend it to anyone dealing with anxiety... doesn't have to be karate, could be any martial art or dance or something like that... something that requires intense concentration on finer details of physical techniques.

I've had anxiety issues for pretty much my entire life, although it was only in my late 30s that I actually spoke to a doctor about it. Got referred to a psychologist who diagnosed it as generalised anxiety disorder. There is an element of depression there, too, although not as bad as the anxiety. Just having it diagnosed helped me deal with it a little bit - when I start to feel myself going in to that spiral of anxiety and catastrophising, it helps if I can stop myself and just tell myself that it's the anxiety disorder making me freak out, rather than whatever I'm actually freaking out about. The anxiety is a separate thing from the actual issue - if I didn't have that issue to be anxious about, the anxiety would just latch onto some other issue instead.

I've avoided the need for medication so far. I find what has helped me more than anything else is martial arts training. I took up karate years ago, mainly for the exercise, but once you get a basic level of proficiency in something like that and are able to start digging deeper into it, the training really helps. Lots of focusing internally on yourself.... are my feet in the right place, are my hands in the right place, do I have my weight distributed properly, do I have the right muscles tensed / relaxed at the right time. It's a really good mindfulness exercise that helps really focus the mind inwards on myself. No matter how frantically my brain is bouncing around in my head when I start, after 90 minutes of that I always feel a lot better. I would strongly recommend it to anyone dealing with anxiety... doesn't have to be karate, could be any martial art or dance or something like that... something that requires intense concentration on finer details of physical techniques.
This resonated hard with me, especially the bolded. Right now I'm in a really ramped up state of anxiety, about a new job, but it can attach itself to health, friendships, relationships, family issues, guilt, etc. I've always been a fair bit neurotic and anxious, but right now it's like a "flare up", well beyond just the normal and it really affects my life. It's like even if I have nothing to worry about, there's no danger, my chest and body just feels like it is completely flooded with anxiety and the chemical response. I also find a need to control everything, and don't tolerate uncertainty too well, so I ruminate, plan, analyse, etc. repeat pretty much everything. Sometimes I think I'm completely lost in thoughts rather than doing what I'm doing. I am hoping things like mindfulness and exercise slowly help with this.

What else works for people?

I want to make a commitment to the following especially through this period:
Mindfulness
Better diet
Drink enough water
Exercise

Sometimes though worrying about doing all those things makes me anxious too, especially if they don't always work.

This resonated hard with me, especially the bolded. Right now I'm in a really ramped up state of anxiety, about a new job, but it can attach itself to health, friendships, relationships, family issues, guilt, etc. I've always been a fair bit neurotic and anxious, but right now it's like a "flare up", well beyond just the normal and it really affects my life. It's like even if I have nothing to worry about, there's no danger, my chest and body just feels like it is completely flooded with anxiety and the chemical response. I also find a need to control everything, and don't tolerate uncertainty too well, so I ruminate, plan, analyse, etc. repeat pretty much everything. Sometimes I think I'm completely lost in thoughts rather than doing what I'm doing. I am hoping things like mindfulness and exercise slowly help with this.

What else works for people?

I want to make a commitment to the following especially through this period:
Mindfulness
Better diet
Drink enough water
Exercise

Sometimes though worrying about doing all those things makes me anxious too, especially if they don't always work.
Another thing that helps is limiting your exposure to news. Back in the day we might read a newspaper in the morning and watch the TV news at night and that would be it, so we only had limited exposure per day to all the heinous sh*t that goes on in the world.

Now it's at our fingertips 24/7 and it's way too easy to spend too much time immersed in it, especially during downtime when there's nothing else to do for a few minutes here and there.

I try to only look at it a couple of times a day. I usually fail and end up doing it a lot more, but at least make an effort.

Anyone here even been medicated for anxiety? Would like to hear some first hand experiences.
yes , I get bad anxiety,
(plus paranoia)
have been prescribed pills from the doctor, valium and seroquel type medication.
My favourite though is a plant medicine named kratom, in Australia you won't get it from a chemist as it's not yet legal, it is in many other places, and is very popular. best stuff I've ever tried for benefits without the negatives,
much healthier option than valium, half a Val is my dose, if I do consume.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Anyone here even been medicated for anxiety? Would like to hear some first hand experiences.
Yes. I have been taking SSRIs for a while for generalised anxiety. I have gone off them a few times but usually after a few months my anxiety builds to a point that I go back on.

I dont like being on meds for it but when the symptoms get to a point that regular anxiety control measures dont work there isnt any other option.

Yes. I have been taking SSRIs for a while for generalised anxiety. I have gone off them a few times but usually after a few months my anxiety builds to a point that I go back on.

I dont like being on meds for it but when the symptoms get to a point that regular anxiety control measures dont work there isnt any other option.
What are the downsides / side effects of the meds that you don't like? Or is it just the general idea of being on regular medication that you don't like?

What are the downsides / side effects of the meds that you don't like? Or is it just the general idea of being on regular medication that you don't like?
Yeah just dont like regularly having to use medication. I dont get any side effects from them luckily.

I think those sort of meds produce a kind of state of apathy, would be necessary for some people but should really be sort of a last ditch course of action imo.

Unless the condition gets to such a serious level where one is unable to function without them I'd prefer to keep battling the condition's symptoms without it so you don't also lose the 'highs' of living life as well. If that makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because of the teacher shortage and staff absence due to covid work has created anxiety in me that I've never experienced before. My anxiety levels have been through the roof recently.

Had a situation related to this toward the end of the year that led to me having a pretty major breakdown and I ended up on 6 weeks work cover.

They work for you??

I’ve had really bad anxiety for about 3 years now from my SA (I also have bad performance anxiety)

And I swear to god I’ve been feeling great lately because of ashwaganda, although it makes me feel numb I’d rather feel numb than anxious

I’ve had really bad anxiety for about 3 years now from my SA (I also have bad performance anxiety)

And I swear to god I’ve been feeling great lately because of ashwaganda, although it makes me feel numb I’d rather feel numb than anxious

How how do you use the ashwaghanda ?
I use it sporadically because couldn't notice any effects from taking a teaspoon or two , night time and day time.
what's the go , please explain?

How how do you use the ashwaghanda ?
I use it sporadically because couldn't notice any effects from taking a teaspoon or two , night time and day time.
what's the go , please explain?
Oh I had it in pill form, I’d only take 1 instead of recommended dose of 2 before bed

Oh I had it in pill form, I’d only take 1 instead of recommended dose of 2 before bed
Wow !
I tried to take a double dose because a single dose didn't have an effect.
The double dose wasn't noticeable either.
You have a pill before bed and it's got you feeling good, only half recommended dose too, congratulations!
How long did you take the ashwaghanda before you noticed the benefits ?

Wow !
I tried to take a double dose because a single dose didn't have an effect.
The double dose wasn't noticeable either.
You have a pill before bed and it's got you feeling good, only half recommended dose too, congratulations!
How long did you take the ashwaghanda before you noticed the benefits ?
Probably a week, I’m an anxious person and I felt weird like I was normal lol and I was having really good sleep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back