Any chance we could make the season opener not the same teams every year?

Remove this Banner Ad

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts?

It wouldn't be so bad if it were a decent match up, say maybe the grand finalist from last year, at least it would be different teams each year, but everyone talks the match up and the blues get smashed as usual. It's like the season doesn't really start until Friday night. The season opener is always a fizzer.

Why is it a locked in thing that Richmond and Carlton open the season, is it Because cartlton can't draw a crowd that big at any other time of the year and need the money?

tbh i'm not really fussed over Carlton and Richmond doing it, Get a good crowd in regardless of preseason form

If i felt like complaining i'd quickly remember that the AFL didn't take Queens birthday off us when it could have easily done so

Thoughts?

It wouldn't be so bad if it were a decent match up, say maybe the grand finalist from last year, at least it would be different teams each year, but everyone talks the match up and the blues get smashed as usual. It's like the season doesn't really start until Friday night. The season opener is always a fizzer.

Why is it a locked in thing that Richmond and Carlton open the season, is it Because cartlton can't draw a crowd that big at any other time of the year and need the money?
Why? Its fun watching Carlton get flogged on opening night every year

I'd say you've got about as much chance as the AFL giving someone else a shot at Anzac Day
Why though? They were just gifted it when Ben cousins joined the tigers I believe cos they knew it would draw a big crowd and have continued it eve since. Its not something they created. Do they have a contract with the afl that Carlton and Richmond get to host the opening game until the end of time?

Personally I think it's a no brainer that if not a GF rematch, the game should include the premiership side, playing at home, where they get to unfurl their flag or whatever celebration they do pre match, let off a few fireworks and get the season under way in style.

Oh yeah, cause having a Freo v Gold Coast season opener is what everyone wants instead.

Let's face it, Carlton are still major players in this league (top 4 club status confirmed for all eternity)

If they didn't take it off us after a two win season, it's safe to say that Carlton and Richmond season opener is here to stay for years to come.

AFL Football is not a democracy, Carlton are a rich and historically successful club, the fabric of generations of Aussie families, we deserve season opening billing over peasant Vic Clubs like Hawthorn or The Dogs, and especially over Dolly Parton plastic fantastic interstate clubs with no history or historic ties to the roots of the game.

You like like it or lump it Sunshine, the privilege is strong, real and it feels absolutely fantastic.

WE ARE THE NAVY BLUES, WE ALWAYS KICK OFF THE SEASON IN STYLE, WE'RE THE ONLY TEAM MOST AUSSIES WANNA WATCH !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think it's a no brainer that if not a GF rematch, the game should include the premiership side, playing at home, where they get to unfurl their flag or whatever celebration they do pre match, let off a few fireworks and get the season under way in style.

I actually prefer that we play away in Round 1 this year and unfurl the premiership flag in Round 2. Lumping the premiership celebrations in with the Round 1 hype does have an effect.

Why though? They were just gifted it when Ben cousins joined the tigers I believe cos they knew it would draw a big crowd and have continued it eve since. Its not something they created. Do they have a contract with the afl that Carlton and Richmond get to host the opening game until the end of time?
The two clubs would have spent a lot of time getting this game set up, big money maker big tv viewing game etc, unlikely to change.

You answered your own question.

Richmond vs Carlton opening game started before Ben Cousin's joined Richmond

Is there a reason why we should change it?

2 of the original big 4 clubs, huge crowd, massive TV ratings........... and the bloose haven't been flogged badly in them and have won a few in years gone by.

Nah I like it, becoming a marquee game.

And bookmark this; if the ideal (a draw) is not achieved I'd rather the bloose win. Yes you read right a Pies fan backing the bloose!

I realise I'm gonna get leapt on by rabid Tiges....but IMAGINE if the Blues get up tomorrow night? This place will go into meltdown and the AFL scheduling department will be swimming in Hennessy :D Eventually the Blues will come good - I just hope it's before the Tiges plummet down the ladder, so we can see an end to the annual complaints over the opening game of the season.

I realise I'm gonna get leapt on by rabid Tiges....but IMAGINE if the Blues get up tomorrow night? This place will go into meltdown and the AFL scheduling department will be swimming in Hennessy :D Eventually the Blues will come good - I just hope it's before the Tiges plummet down the ladder, so we can see an end to the annual complaints over the opening game of the season.
Your forgetting that this game used to be an easy 4 points for the Blues, of course at some stage the wheel will turn again.
Carlton won 5 of the first 6 round 1 games then we have won the last 5 in a row so Richmond 6
Carlton 5 at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back