Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
One of Wirra's sons looks a likely player down the track but he's only 11.

He's in the same class and mates with my young bloke and he reckons that he's a gun in every sport that he plays. A natural.

Last week he won the cross country for his age group and then backed it up with 5 goals in the intra-school footy comp.

The week prior he was bombing three-pointers from all over the place.

One of Wirra's sons looks a likely player down the track but he's only 11.

He's in the same class and mates with my young bloke and he reckons that he's a gun in every sport that he plays. A natural.

Last week he won the cross country for his age group and then backed it up with 5 goals in the intra-school footy comp.

The week prior he was bombing three-pointers from all over the place.

Hopefully Wirra tries to talk him out of basketball, there’s no money in that mate :p

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Today's West p181

Eagle great's lad earns high praise

West Coast great Drew Banfield's eldest son Bailey enjoyed a winning PSA first XVIII debut for Scotch College against Trinity last weekend.

The 15-year-old midfielder gathered 11 possessions, three inside 50s, three marks, three tackles and two clearances in the triple-figure win, playing a mix of midfield and half-foward.

[Article continues...]

I couldn't see the article online... the above typed on my phone. Can do rest on computer later if people want.

Jun 28, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Today's West p181

West Coast great Drew Banfield's eldest son Bailey enjoyed a winning PSA first XVIII debut for Scotch College against Trinity last weekend.

The 15-year-old midfielder gathered 11 possessions, three inside 50s, three marks, three tackles and two clearances in the triple-figure win, playing a mix of midfield and half-foward.

[Article continues...]

I couldn't see the article online... the above typed on my phone. Can do rest on computer later if people want.

That doesn't seem that good considering it was a triple figure win.
* I kick 7 goals against kenwick when I was in Gozzy colts but we all did.... beat them by 130points

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Keep in mind he's a 15yo playing against 17yo,and likely the only 15 yo in the team,so he's probably doing ok all things considered.
How can he play as a 15 year old? When I went through, Firsts was year 11 and 12 only. Isn't year 11 for kids that are 16 turning 17, unless they are born first half of the year?

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Rest of article...

Yesterday's West p181

The 15-year-old midfielder gathered 11 possessions, three inside 50s, three marks, three tackles and two clearances in the triple-figure win, playing a mix of midfield and half-forward.

Scotch coach and WA football great Steve Malaxos said the Eagles father-son prospect "did some good things".

"He's only a Year 10 boy but he got the taste of it," Malaxos said.

"He's an on-baller/forward type who's got some similar traits to his dad, who was a gun player back in the day.

"He's got a way to go to catch his dad but he's a pretty good little player."

The Eagles have priority access to Bailey under the AFL's father-son rule because Drew Banfield played 100-plus games for the club.

Drew, the first pick of the 1992 national draft, retired at the end of 2006 after 265 appearances including two premierships, 12 years apart, and a club champion award.

Bailey, who also played WAFL Futures games for Claremont this season, is not eligible until the 2023 draft. He wasn't the only son of a gun to line up for Scotch with Ed Allan, the son of Hawthorn premiership player and inaugural Fremantle captain Ben, starring with a career best 41 disposals.

Bailey is no relation to his namesake, Docker Bailey Banfield, who also attended Scotch College.

West Coast have six father-son draftees including current player Jake Waterman whose father Chris won two flags at the club.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Rest of article...

Yesterday's West p181

The 15-year-old midfielder gathered 11 possessions, three inside 50s, three marks, three tackles and two clearances in the triple-figure win, playing a mix of midfield and half-forward.

Scotch coach and WA football great Steve Malaxos said the Eagles father-son prospect "did some good things".

"He's only a Year 10 boy but he got the taste of it," Malaxos said.

"He's an on-baller/forward type who's got some similar traits to his dad, who was a gun player back in the day.

"He's got a way to go to catch his dad but he's a pretty good little player."

The Eagles have priority access to Bailey under the AFL's father-son rule because Drew Banfield played 100-plus games for the club.

Drew, the first pick of the 1992 national draft, retired at the end of 2006 after 265 appearances including two premierships, 12 years apart, and a club champion award.

Bailey, who also played WAFL Futures games for Claremont this season, is not eligible until the 2023 draft. He wasn't the only son of a gun to line up for Scotch with Ed Allan, the son of Hawthorn premiership player and inaugural Fremantle captain Ben, starring with a career best 41 disposals.

Bailey is no relation to his namesake, Docker Bailey Banfield, who also attended Scotch College.

West Coast have six father-son draftees including current player Jake Waterman whose father Chris won two flags at the club.
Not sure if current PSA but when I was at Bailey’s school, Year 10 boys were no stranger to playing First 18. Year 9 - not sure as there were no players good enough to make it that young.

Wiley and Glendinning were well gone when I attended - do you know what happened Monocle?

A couple of things to note
1. It’s a June 30 cut off so half the year 12 boys will be 18
2. I believe PSA play shorter quarters so stats are down v Colts.

Not sure if current PSA but when I was at Bailey’s school, Year 10 boys were no stranger to playing First 18. Year 9 - not sure as there were no players good enough to make it that young.

Wiley and Glendinning were well gone when I attended - do you know what happened Monocle?

A couple of things to note
1. It’s a June 30 cut off so half the year 12 boys will be 18
2. I believe PSA play shorter quarters so stats are down v Colts.

Yes I played with both of them.

Wiley only came to the school for his last two years high school, so not there for year 10.

Glendinning played year 11 for sure and from memory year 10 as well.

Ironically Rosco wasn't the best footballer in his year that honour went to John Bailey who was a outstanding athlete, Bailey made the Claremont Combined teams as the CHF.

This is a big call but IMO John Bailey was an even better footballer than Rosco.

"Bails" he was know was never interested in playing WAFL let alone AFL.

Multi talented bloke who was very musically talented and rather than embarking on a sports career, he surfed and he and his brother Dave formed The Bailey Brothers and then The Indian Ocean Band.

The seasoned surfie drinking crowd would flock to the now defunct Mosman Park Hotel, to listen and dance to the Bailey Brothers, as they cranked out their tunes on a Friday, Saturday nights and the Sunday secessions.

How time fly's by.

Last edited:

Noctorniquet

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Perth Wildcats
PSA is an open comp and has been for a long time (if not for ever) if you’re good enough you’ll get picked for the First’s. Obviously it’s rare for younger guys to play as it’s more physically more demanding.

Back