Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Hmmm, Shuey's missus is apparently 24 weeks along, so the bub could appear in 8-12 weeks? I think the timing could prove awkward. :think:

She is two weeks ahead of my missus (22 weeks yesterday) who is due on 2nd Dec, so that would make the due date around the 18th Nov. Should be ok as long baby behaves.

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
The second WAG has just been identified

Shuey expecting baby number two-ey with his wife

Mrs Shuey pregnant hey?

You campaigners know what happened last time.........:trophy:

Is he over age for colts?

As romantic a notion as it is that Zac could follow in his fathers footsteps at West Coast is, I don't think it will happen.

I have watched him several times and he projects IMO as a reasonable to average WAFL player without demonstrating any particular skills that flash AFL standard.

I would think he ekes out a half decent career in the WAFL at best.

Sorry to appear to be the "Party Pooper" but I just don't see his game, transitioning to the next level.

But there again I could be wrong as I didn't ever think Flying Ryan could have the impact at the next level that he has.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
As romantic a notion as it is that Zac could follow in his fathers footsteps at West Coast is, I don't think it will happen.

I have watched him several times and he projects IMO as a reasonable to average WAFL player without demonstrating any particular skills that flash AFL standard.

I would think he ekes out a half decent career in the WAFL at best.

Sorry to appear to be the "Party Pooper" but I just don't see his game, transitioning to the next level.

But there again I could be wrong as I didn't ever think Flying Ryan could have the impact at the next level that he has.

So.......you saying Mainwaring = next Ryan?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Tuesday WAFL: Alec Waterman deserves another AFL chance, could it come from his second father-son selection?
Headshot of John Townsend

John Townsend
The West Australian
Tue, 22 September 2020

It was Alec Waterman’s Tim Kelly moment. Or Marlion Pickett moment. Or Liam Ryan moment. Or Sam Menegola moment.
Waterman swung the sledgehammer with precision and power when Claremont demolished South Fremantle in the second semifinal on Sunday.
He kicked four goals, missed three shots and had his hands on the ball within scoring range – ie up to 70m out - several other times as he produced the breakout performance of a career that has been brief, eventful but capable of much bigger things.

Waterman was the outstanding and most intimidating footballer in a match involving three Sandover medallists, as many Claremont premiership winners and 14 players who have spent time on AFL lists.
It has been a long time coming but the performance underlined his potential as a footballer who could and should display his wares on the national stage.
He is strong in the air and over the ball, reads the play superbly but his most damaging attribute is a powerful left foot that makes him deadly over a range shared by few players.
He missed one shot from 60m but nailed a later one from the same distance that carried deep into the crowd.
AFL recruiters seek a point of difference when they assess the myriad players on their lists but Waterman’s advantage is taking the most basic and essential skill in the game and turning it into a lethal weapon.
There were few doubts that Waterman was up to the grade when West Coast drafted him at 18 and prepared to give him a debut in 2015 only for his football journey to be derailed by glandular fever.
The illness sapped him of his energy and his opportunities but it did not diminish his talent.
That was on full display on Sunday when Waterman operated at a higher level than every other player in the contest between the league’s two best teams.
And that is why the game could be his Kelly moment.
Kelly, like the other three players named, were considered, discussed and assessed as potential mature-age draftees based on a substantial body of impressive WAFL evidence.
And their potential has been confirmed during careers that have brought two AFL flags and rave reviews.
But each of those individuals had to produce at least one standout performance in their impressive draft years to convince sceptical recruiters of their worth.
For Kelly, it came in a breath-taking derby for South Fremantle in 2017 when he won the ball 35 times and kicked seven goals.
East Fremantle were eviscerated during a display that has been matched by only six players in the past half century.
Pickett was Kelly’s team-mate for much of his WAFL career and followed him into the AFL last year.
His signal moment came, like Waterman, in a final at Fremantle Community Bank Oval when he kicked four goals from 26 possessions as a mercurial midfielder who kicked, ran, jumped and marked in a different dimension to his team-mates and opponents.
Ryan’s moment was a six-goal game for Subiaco late in 2017 which put an exclamation mark on the highlights package he had used to wow observers over the previous 18 months.
And going back to Waterman’s draft year was Menegola, the Fremantle and Hawthorn discard, who nearly pinched the Sandover despite playing only half a season for Subiaco which included a 35-touch, four-goal midfield masterclass.
AFL lists will be smaller next year – whether by two senior spots or more will be decided in the coming weeks – but there will always be places for natural footballers who can change games and shape seasons.
And maybe he could make history by becoming the first player twice drafted to the same club as a father-son pick.

watching him for the first time since 2015 and he looks close to his brothers height than whats being listed.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Tuesday WAFL: Alec Waterman deserves another AFL chance, could it come from his second father-son selection?
Headshot of John Townsend

John Townsend
The West Australian
Tue, 22 September 2020

It was Alec Waterman’s Tim Kelly moment. Or Marlion Pickett moment. Or Liam Ryan moment. Or Sam Menegola moment.
Waterman swung the sledgehammer with precision and power when Claremont demolished South Fremantle in the second semifinal on Sunday.
He kicked four goals, missed three shots and had his hands on the ball within scoring range – ie up to 70m out - several other times as he produced the breakout performance of a career that has been brief, eventful but capable of much bigger things.

Waterman was the outstanding and most intimidating footballer in a match involving three Sandover medallists, as many Claremont premiership winners and 14 players who have spent time on AFL lists.
It has been a long time coming but the performance underlined his potential as a footballer who could and should display his wares on the national stage.
He is strong in the air and over the ball, reads the play superbly but his most damaging attribute is a powerful left foot that makes him deadly over a range shared by few players.
He missed one shot from 60m but nailed a later one from the same distance that carried deep into the crowd.
AFL recruiters seek a point of difference when they assess the myriad players on their lists but Waterman’s advantage is taking the most basic and essential skill in the game and turning it into a lethal weapon.
There were few doubts that Waterman was up to the grade when West Coast drafted him at 18 and prepared to give him a debut in 2015 only for his football journey to be derailed by glandular fever.
The illness sapped him of his energy and his opportunities but it did not diminish his talent.
That was on full display on Sunday when Waterman operated at a higher level than every other player in the contest between the league’s two best teams.
And that is why the game could be his Kelly moment.
Kelly, like the other three players named, were considered, discussed and assessed as potential mature-age draftees based on a substantial body of impressive WAFL evidence.
And their potential has been confirmed during careers that have brought two AFL flags and rave reviews.
But each of those individuals had to produce at least one standout performance in their impressive draft years to convince sceptical recruiters of their worth.
For Kelly, it came in a breath-taking derby for South Fremantle in 2017 when he won the ball 35 times and kicked seven goals.
East Fremantle were eviscerated during a display that has been matched by only six players in the past half century.
Pickett was Kelly’s team-mate for much of his WAFL career and followed him into the AFL last year.
His signal moment came, like Waterman, in a final at Fremantle Community Bank Oval when he kicked four goals from 26 possessions as a mercurial midfielder who kicked, ran, jumped and marked in a different dimension to his team-mates and opponents.
Ryan’s moment was a six-goal game for Subiaco late in 2017 which put an exclamation mark on the highlights package he had used to wow observers over the previous 18 months.
And going back to Waterman’s draft year was Menegola, the Fremantle and Hawthorn discard, who nearly pinched the Sandover despite playing only half a season for Subiaco which included a 35-touch, four-goal midfield masterclass.
AFL lists will be smaller next year – whether by two senior spots or more will be decided in the coming weeks – but there will always be places for natural footballers who can change games and shape seasons.
And maybe he could make history by becoming the first player twice drafted to the same club as a father-son pick.

watching him for the first time since 2015 and he looks close to his brothers height than whats being listed.
This would make me very happy especially given our TK compromised draft. What a time to pull a father and son..

This would make me very happy especially given our TK compromised draft. What a time to pull a father and son..
90% sure he would be ineligible to be drafted as a F/S twice, would have to go the more traditional route. I'm assuming, anyway.

Back