Any father-son/father-daughter picks coming up in the near future?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a family member of Alec, and she says his heart bleeds Blue and Gold, and questioned his early years on our list as a commitment as a in between the ears, maturity thing.
Thats odd considering he played a handful of games at WAFL level and never seen again after contracting Glandular fever.

Everywhere I have read is that a delisted player is an unrestricted free agent . Alec was delisted .
yeah but Alec was delisted 4 years ago. Feel like thats way too long to be out of the game

I thought everyone who had even nominated before was a free agent. It seemed like they were moving to the NBA-type model where you have a “draft class” which basically distributes the top-end talent, and anyone who goes undrafted can go wherever they want.

This has been raised before. Can’t we simply select him for free as a delisted free agent if he agrees? Or has it been too long between drinks?

It may have changed since, but Sam Menegola had to go back through the draft.

Also this article suggests it's only players delisted "this year"

"Players who have been delisted by an AFL club this year can join any AFL club that offers up a contract. Axed Fremantle player Harley Bennell looms as a high-profile delisted free agent this year."

I thought everyone who had even nominated before was a free agent. It seemed like they were moving to the NBA-type model where you have a “draft class” which basically distributes the top-end talent, and anyone who goes undrafted can go wherever they want.
Didn't we do something similar with Keegan Brooksby? Nominated for the draft, then withdrew his nomination as he was eligible for the ssp as a previously delisted player.

Not sure if my timeline and understanding is correct - but I think he had missed out in at least 1 draft after his delisting (prior to his withdrawal in 2018).

Waterman nominated for the draft last year iirc. So maybe the same situation?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alec Waterman played well against Beagles in the final last year . Pity we took Treacy and not Alec in hindsight . In the recent Final against SF Alec looked Zippy fast even chasing down Rioli . He has a booming left foot . Has a good leap , good hands , good ball sense and is involved in lots of contests , hence 4 Goals . Definitely deserves a spot on our list above Treacy and Reid . Could be a better fwd than Ah Chee , around his level I would say atm .

Alec Waterman played well against Beagles in the final last year . Pity we took Treacy and not Alec in hindsight . In the recent Final against SF Alec looked Zippy fast even chasing down Rioli . He has a booming left foot . Has a good leap , good hands , good ball sense and is involved in lots of contests , hence 4 Goals . Definitely deserves a spot on our list above Treacy and Reid . Could be a better fwd than Ah Chee , around his level I would say atm .
I was bummed out when he got hit with his illness and still hold out hope he puts on the Eagles jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the club would go for zac mainwairing. It would be a good story but if it were anyone else we wouldn't even consider going there.

This suggests if you’re a free agent once, and aren’t on a list, you remain a free agent forevermore: http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/free-agency-explained/

Alec nominated for the 2019 mid season draft. Don’t know about post season draft. Don’t know how far back this applies but if he was a delisted free agent back when he was delisted, he should be still. Would be an upgrade on a few.

It's interesting to hear that he looks to be moving around with good speed. My memory of him was as a slower midfielder. Has his body shape changed quite significantly since he last played for us?

So there’s a few potential father-son prospects available this year. Alec Waterman, Zac Mainwaring and also Brandon Matera, although technically his dad Wally didn’t play enough games for him to qualify as a father-son.

Brandon is a mature-age prospect who’s spent time at both Gold Coast and Fremantle, but could benefit from being at an AFL club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back