Any other blood donors here?

Remove this Banner Ad

31 times.

Had a bad reaction for the first time. A fair bit of internal bleeding. My left elbow is all purple and blue. Gonna take a few days to settle down.

I've finally made the jump and will be donating on Friday for the first time, although the above only feeds my irrational dislike for needles and the like. Hopefully i'll survive

I've finally made the jump and will be donating on Friday for the first time, although the above only feeds my irrational dislike for needles and the like. Hopefully i'll survive

They'll go easy on you. This mad woman ripped the needle out like she was starting a lawn mower.

I usually get a bit of an adrenaline rush after.

Seeing as the Footy Gods didn't like my bribe last week (picking up Nannas walker) this week I've given blood instead. Had to try and pace myself though, my blood flow was super-fast and I probably would have ended up in a wheelchair again. Managed to moderate myself to a nice 6 minutes, and after shopping with Mum I'm now safe at home in bed and exhausted. I love that they now send you a text a few days later telling you where your blood went - my blood has gone as far as Mt. Isa once!

Also got my Organ Donor card. The AFL had a huge thing last year about signing up and I did it almost immediately - you can do it online and it's super-quick and easy!

Gotta admit, it's something I always say I'm going to do but never actually do it. The missus does it all the time.

I've got my Organ Donor's card but yeah, need to put my money where my mouth is. Especially as I am O Negative.

I used to give blood occasionally until one of my patients pointed out I was one of those people who say they donate, rather than actually donate. I became a plasma donor, giving sometimes every second week, and have well over two hundred donations now. The lady of my life is currently on 99 donations!!!! One of the sons also donates.

I am always scared that half way through the donation I will need a leak, so I restrict fluid intake just before and lie on the questionnaire that insists that you have had a galleon of water just before.

31 times.

Had a bad reaction for the first time. A fair bit of internal bleeding. My left elbow is all purple and blue. Gonna take a few days to settle down.

Jackess, only worry about bleeding you can hear. Anything else is purely cosmetic, especially bruising. Remember what one of those German philosophers stated, "Anything that does not kill me, makes me stronger".

Used to pretty regularly but sadly the medication I'm on now disqualifies me.

But make sure you're all signed up for organ donations - and critically, that your families understand that that is your wish!

Unfortunately my haemoglobin levels dropped AGAIN so now I can't donate again until November, which is annoying as I was doing so well (about once a month). Turns out stress DOES mess with your body. Who knew?

But I do have my organ donor card now, applied for that online last year when the AFL had a round dedicated to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back