Any running tips?

Remove this Banner Ad

treadmills are lame

I've got a couple of real good 10km training runs set out, key to jogging is get yourself to a constant pace where you can run at a consistent speed over the length of the jog, rather than going out hard and blowing up halfway through.

I broke my arm a few weeks back so my soccer season is over and cant play cricket till december, so i'll be doing a lot of running over the next little while

there are some goods tips on here to keep you going hes my 2 cents worth....mixing things up a bit is good...if running gets boring or to hard on your legs or just cant be stuffed try cardio training do at least 8 different things like star jumps,hops,squats...etc go hard on each one for a minute..just running alone wont loss all the weight it will get you fitter,stronger in the legs and help your heart rate,cardio will help with losing the last few kgs and help tone your body core training is also good like seat ups,push ups,planks and side planks are really good and pump classes are also really good. maybe look at the shoes your running in

Yeah, agree that variety helps a lot.

So nearly three weeks running now and the leg muscles caught up and felt much better after about 2 weeks. I stepped up to 8 (yes 8, count them) kph for 20 minutes.

A couple of days after my leg muscles felt fine, I started getting painful knee and ankle joints, pain evenly distributed through all 4 joints. Not a pain like I'd pulled something, it's like an inflammation pain. I believe my ligaments and tendons etc need time to adjust to the stress of running as well.

I can still use the elliptical trainer, row, walk, climb stairs etc without any pain, it's only when I put the leg down with any force when I feel it.

I believe I'll stick to the elliptical machine and rowing and stay off the mill entirely until the pain goes away.

A couple of days after my leg muscles felt fine, I started getting painful knee and ankle joints, pain evenly distributed through all 4 joints. Not a pain like I'd pulled something, it's like an inflammation pain. I believe my ligaments and tendons etc need time to adjust to the stress of running as well.

I can still use the elliptical trainer, row, walk, climb stairs etc without any pain, it's only when I put the leg down with any force when I feel it.

Its pretty common I think. My wife over the past two months has been training for the Melbourne marathon in a few weeks and went through similar. Worked out to be ITB syndrome. Maybe your running style causes stress of your joints.

If it doesnt go away then see a physio.

l hope it was alright the post these cardio/core circuits here there not running but they will get the body moving l Shirley will be doing a few of these

Body-weight circuit training
This session alternates between upper-body, lower-body and core/abdominal strengthening exercise.
This session consists of four different circuits repeated four times each.

Circuit 1
Overhand chin-ups 8-12 reps
Bodyweight squats (full range) 20 reps
Plank 90 seconds
Rest for one minute then repeat for a total of four circuits.

Circuit 2
Dips: 8-12 reps
Single-leg squat (with back foot up on a bench): 12-15 each side
V-sit-up: 12 reps
Lie on your back, knees bent. Slowly extend your legs out and up so that they're above the floor at 45º, while raising your upper body up until your torso forms a V-shape with your legs and extend your arms straight in front of you. Slowly raise your arms up and reach towards your feet, then lower back to the floor.Rest for one minute then repeat for a total of four circuits.

Circuit 3
Tempo push-ups 214 (2 seconds down, pause for 1 second in bottom phase, then take 4 seconds to return to starting position): 8-12 reps
Walking lunge: 10 forward, 10 backward
Your back knee should just touching the ground.
Lateral leg raises (windscreen wipers): 10 each side
Lying on your back, arms stretched out legs straight up at 90°, lower your legs to one side (keeping shoulders on the ground) then back to the middle, then lower the other side.

Circuit 4
Burpees: 8-12 reps
Side plank: one minute each side
Towel pull-up: 8-12 reps
This chin-up variation really works the forearms and back. Throw a towel over the bar. Holding both ends of the towel together with a cricket-bat grip, pull yourself up until your elbows come to a 90° angle and then slowly lower yourself back down.

Circuit 5
Lowering phase of a chin-up: 6 reps
Position a box under the bar so when you stand on it, your chin is over the bar. Jump up onto it and then take five seconds to lower yourself to the bottom phase, repeat.
Scissor kick: one minute alternating
Pulsing sumo squat: 20 reps
Lower yourself into two consecutive squats, holding each for one second. As you rise out of the second squat, explode up and land while maintaining form.
Rests for one minute then repeat for a total of four circuits

Day 2

Explosive power and plyometrics

This circuit works off the Tabata timing system, which involves working hard for 20 seconds and then resting for 10. You'll work in four-minute blocks, so you will do the same exercise eight times, totalling four minutes, then move onto the next exercise.
Ensure that you are fully warmed up first.

Round 1 Lateral jumps: going for height, jump from your left to right keeping your knees up high.

Round 2 Clap push-ups

Round 3 Split-squat jump: start in the lunge or split-squat position, lower into the bottom position and jump explosively, alternating your legs.

Round 4 Dynamic side plank: start in the normal side plank position, lower your hip to touch the ground then back to the starting position, change sides.

Round 5 Leg thrusters: begin in a sprint start position (hands on the ground one knee up toward the chest), you are going to bring one leg in to your chest, then alternate with the other leg, pumping your legs on the spot.

Round 6 Russian twist: sitting, rotate your upper body to one side and touch your elbow on the ground, then alternate to the other side and back to the starting position.

Round 7 Uneven push-up: like a normal push-up, but one hand is going to be lower than shoulder level, while the other will be above shoulder level, alternate arm positions each set.

Round 8 Jump squat: squat, then explode up for height, land with soft knees and sink back into the starting position. Aim for height and power and use your arms to accelerate up.

Day 3

Escalating Density Training (EDT)

For this EDT session you'll perform a pair of exercise for a total of three 15-minute blocks. You will record the total number or reps achieved and aim to beat that score next week. For example, week 1 you might complete nine sets of chin-ups and nine set of squats, next session your aim is to get 10 sets done in the same time, thus completing more work (density) in the same time frame.

Block 1
Chin-up (sets of 5)
Squats (sets of 15)

Block 2
Dip (sets of 6)
Crunches (sets of 15)

Block 3

Push-up (sets of 10)
Lunges (sets of 15 each side)

For more saving tips and advice, check out the MH July issue - on sale now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back