Remove this Banner Ad

MilduraHeat

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of my favourite comics is TinTin.

Are there any other fans of the comic?

Yes I like "Tin Tin", but then I am a sucker for "Pulp" style adventure in any form. I remember being amused when my copy of "TinTin in the Congo' came in a plastic bag with a warning label on it !

Yep i have the full Tin Tin comic series I bought it a few years ago in Singapore. When i was in Vietnam about 8 years I found a shop that manufactured all of the comic series into full colour prints. I didn't buy anything but very impressed.

I loved Tintin growing up, really captured the 'pulp adventure' feel wonderfully, and they have a great playful sense of humor- not so much outright hilarious but just a lot of funny character sketches and outrageous yet oddly plausible minor characters - General Alcazar! Bianca Castafiore! Colonel Sponsz! Rastapopoulos! Nestor. Also find the artwork really impressive and very odd -one of the interesting things which I totally overlooked is that Herge rarely, if ever, uses shading- everything is flatly coloured outlines.

My two favourite storylines were the ones involving fake countries- the General Alcazar ones and the Syldavia/Borduria storylines were gold. Also special mention to the freaky evil mummy dude in seven crystal balls, there is a panel involving him crouched at a window looking in which gave me nightmares for a very very long time.

If you stop to think about it Tintin's world is a very very strange one, containing a bizarre mixture of real countries, fake countries, 1930s/40s technology with occasional expeditions into futurism. I love that Syldavia, a comically backward middle european country has a functional space program, and the science heavy destination moon plot exists alongside supernatural based stories like 7 crystal balls and Tintin in Tibet.

My pet theory is that Tintin lives in a universe identical to our own, set in about 1965, except, for whatever reason, the Austro-Hungarian empire never formed, there was no Arch-Duke to assassinate, and consequently World War I never happened. As a result Europe is never torn apart, and there isn't the rapid across the board technological advances brought about by warfare, meaning the pace of life is slower and the ordinary living standards are quite a bit behind the most advanced technology- hence people still driving 40s era cars whilst backwards middle european countries have successful space programs (designed by an alternate reality Werner Von Braun) and a badass sharkmarine. Similarly the lack of global contact means America is still a relatively isolationist country rather than having taken on the role of global superpower, and there is no sign of Hitler although the bolshevik revolution did happen albeit a bit later. There's also no sign of nuclear weapons, and different geopolitical structures in south america. Anyway, that's my theory, come at me.

Last edited:
  • Banned
To be honest with you all my late uncle was a huge fan of comics and old books. His study is a massive shrine now due to all the books and comics and other memorabilia.

Thundering Typhoons! Love(d) Tintin...

Loved the way he worked the issues of the day into his comics e.g. Musstler (Mussolini/Hitler), Japan leaving the then League Of Nations, Space Travel, Syldavia as mentioned. Think the books post his meeting Captain Haddock are my faves.

Think he was deeply embarrassed by the naive racism and animal cruelty he showed in his first two books (Soviets and Congo) and forbade them to be published during his lifetime.

Thundering Typhoons! Love(d) Tintin...

Loved the way he worked the issues of the day into his comics e.g. Musstler (Mussolini/Hitler), Japan leaving the then League Of Nations, Space Travel, Syldavia as mentioned. Think the books post his meeting Captain Haddock are my faves.

Think he was deeply embarrassed by the naive racism and animal cruelty he showed in his first two books (Soviets and Congo) and forbade them to be published during his lifetime.

SonOfReep Is this what drew you to series?Your brother read them too?

SonOfReep Is this what drew you to series?Your brother read them too?

That's certainly not what drew me to the series at all. Didn't read these two until I was well into adulthood (could see why he was so embarrassed by them). From the mid-1930s onwards he went totally against that sort of thing.

Edit to previous post: It was only the Soviets that he forbade being reprinted (until 1973).

Grew up on Tintin, my fave was The Blue Lotus. My dad had both Tintin and Asterix in the french forms, so it was a wonderful way to teach us kids french.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back