Any Utah Jazz fans out there?

Remove this Banner Ad

So we're the best team in the league now? I'm cool with this. To think a few weeks ago I thought picking top 7 was a legit possibility :$

If only this run started a few weeks earlier, to give us a chance to see if we're actually legit before the deadline. Playoffs are very much in play, but is it worth letting Favors, JJ and possibly Hood walk for nothing just to get bounced in the first round? Decisions decisions...

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
So we're the best team in the league now? I'm cool with this. To think a few weeks ago I thought picking top 7 was a legit possibility :$

If only this run started a few weeks earlier, to give us a chance to see if we're actually legit before the deadline. Playoffs are very much in play, but is it worth letting Favors, JJ and possibly Hood walk for nothing just to get bounced in the first round? Decisions decisions...

Comes down to what you can get in return for them. Hood probably has more value and should be traded should a good offer come in.

Hood for Crowder. Ugh. Think I would have rather just kept him and been prepared to let him walk in RFA. Thought JJ had more than zero value, but here we are.

I guess if we get something resembling Boston Crowder it's alright. Better fit that Hood position-wise, good contract.

Denkverbot

Dragon Energy
Aug 18, 2017
In Your Head
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Jazz
I’m hoping for an 6th place finish! Avoid GSW and HOU ... Rubio and JIngles playing out of their skin, Rudy BACK, DFav looking healthy, Spida brilliant, Crowder looks like a great fit ... just hoping Ricky can keep shooting well and Joe can average 15ppg for the rest of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I only see highlights but Ingles - Gobert looks unstoppable. Gobert catches everything then if Joes defender backs off Joe just slides past for the scoop layup.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Is there a reason why Derrick Favors doesn't get more touches on offense? His usage rate (18.7%) is the lowest its been since his rookie year.

Is it just a matter of "Why change what's working?", in that Favors is shooting his best-ever percentages from the field, and the team is winning more often than not? Is there any intention to involve Favors more in the offense in future, or does Rudy Gobert's presence and Favors' lack of a reliable jumpshot (something he has been trying to improve on this year, with mixed results) kind of limit that scope?

Denkverbot

Dragon Energy
Aug 18, 2017
In Your Head
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Jazz
Don't * with Big Joe!
DYYjlUjVAAEFpyF.jpg:large

KingNothing

All Australian
Sep 23, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
How exciting is it watching this team. Here I was adamant that Rubio didn’t fit. What a difference Gobert makes.

Considering what we lost in the off season, and the injuries we’ve dealt with again this year Snyder should be coach of the year. He won’t be but * he should be.

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Hey guys, I’ve been watching the rookie of the year race with interest. Being a Jazz fan I’ve watched every game Mitchell has played and being an Aussie I have watched about 80% of Simmons games.

While I know Ben stuffs the stat sheet and does some amazing things, I honestly don’t think he impacts his team or the game more than what Donovan does. While he gets more assists and has had multiple triple doubles. So many of his assists are just hand offs to shooters that don’t really assist them at all. The other night when he got his tenth assist to get his triple double, all he did was bring the ball up the court and hand it off to JJ Redick who then took a dribble to lose his man and stepped back/sideways to clear room for himself before launching his three. I’m not actually sure how Ben assisted him getting the shot off, let alone scoring the points. So many of his so called assists are like this.

While Donovan doesn’t get as many assists, his passes are much more purposeful and when he does record an assist it’s not because he got cut off and had to pass out for a shot, or dribbled and handed off to another shooter, he usually drives and creates space before passing beautifully to Gobert or Favors or he skip passes to Ingles, Rubio or Jerebko. But in so doing he gets less assists. A lot of the commentary says he is just a scorer but I see him as so much more than that.

If you watch both of their games I feel Mitchell has a much bigger impact and he also does it when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter. If we end up in the 4th, 5th or 6th seed in the Western Conference being led by a rookie, tell me when that was last achieved. So while Simmons does get more stats, I think Mitchell impacts the game more, at the most important time and has contributed more to his team relatively than Simmons and in a tougher conference.

When you say this on any website, you just get drowned out by people saying Mitchell is just an average volume scorer whereas Ben is the second coming of Magic Johnson. I’m sorry but I think people saying this are not watching Jazz games, and their putting more weight in stats rather than the simple eye test. I don’t remember Magic getting so many assists from just bringing the ball up the court and handing off for a contested 3 that happens to go in. I mean watch the assist that put Ben over the 500 assist mark. He handed off to Embid who then proceeded to take multiple dribbles, driving and out manoeuvring his man with great footwork to score at the rim. All Ben did was hand him the ball 22 feet out from the basket. How is that an assist? Joel created that basket all by himself. Whoever is giving out the stats is handing them to Ben when they aren’t really deserved. And yet that is what everyone is pointing to as the reason why he deserves the award more than Mitchell.

I don’t know if this will ever be highlighted in the mainstream media but it should be so that people see it for what it is.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Hey guys, I’ve been watching the rookie of the year race with interest. Being a Jazz fan I’ve watched every game Mitchell has played and being an Aussie I have watched about 80% of Simmons games.

While I know Ben stuffs the stat sheet and does some amazing things, I honestly don’t think he impacts his team or the game more than what Donovan does. While he gets more assists and has had multiple triple doubles. So many of his assists are just hand offs to shooters that don’t really assist them at all. The other night when he got his tenth assist to get his triple double, all he did was bring the ball up the court and hand it off to JJ Redick who then took a dribble to lose his man and stepped back/sideways to clear room for himself before launching his three. I’m not actually sure how Ben assisted him getting the shot off, let alone scoring the points. So many of his so called assists are like this.

While Donovan doesn’t get as many assists, his passes are much more purposeful and when he does record an assist it’s not because he got cut off and had to pass out for a shot, or dribbled and handed off to another shooter, he usually drives and creates space before passing beautifully to Gobert or Favors or he skip passes to Ingles, Rubio or Jerebko. But in so doing he gets less assists. A lot of the commentary says he is just a scorer but I see him as so much more than that.

If you watch both of their games I feel Mitchell has a much bigger impact and he also does it when the game is on the line in the fourth quarter. If we end up in the 4th, 5th or 6th seed in the Western Conference being led by a rookie, tell me when that was last achieved. So while Simmons does get more stats, I think Mitchell impacts the game more, at the most important time and has contributed more to his team relatively than Simmons and in a tougher conference.

When you say this on any website, you just get drowned out by people saying Mitchell is just an average volume scorer whereas Ben is the second coming of Magic Johnson. I’m sorry but I think people saying this are not watching Jazz games, and their putting more weight in stats rather than the simple eye test. I don’t remember Magic getting so many assists from just bringing the ball up the court and handing off for a contested 3 that happens to go in. I mean watch the assist that put Ben over the 500 assist mark. He handed off to Embid who then proceeded to take multiple dribbles, driving and out manoeuvring his man with great footwork to score at the rim. All Ben did was hand him the ball 22 feet out from the basket. How is that an assist? Joel created that basket all by himself. Whoever is giving out the stats is handing them to Ben when they aren’t really deserved. And yet that is what everyone is pointing to as the reason why he deserves the award more than Mitchell.

I don’t know if this will ever be highlighted in the mainstream media but it should be so that people see it for what it is.
Dont disagree with you , but simmonds having year off and finally linking with embid gave 76s hope after being crap for years.
Jazz is in a small city tv wise , very rarely gets national coverage , lost hayward to boston . Most pundits would have expected utah not to make playoffs , one man band gobert . Unless you were from here very few outside would have heard of ingles who is like red wine getting better with age. Mitchell would have blindsided most ppl outside utah fans , was only until he played in ASW dunk comp did other fans know who he was. At the beginning of season there was talk of 2 rookies , simmonds and ball . Daylight was 3rd . Mitchell has overtaken ball .

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Dont disagree with you , but simmonds having year off and finally linking with embid gave 76s hope after being crap for years.
Jazz is in a small city tv wise , very rarely gets national coverage , lost hayward to boston . Most pundits would have expected utah not to make playoffs , one man band gobert . Unless you were from here very few outside would have heard of ingles who is like red wine getting better with age. Mitchell would have blindsided most ppl outside utah fans , was only until he played in ASW dunk comp did other fans know who he was. At the beginning of season there was talk of 2 rookies , simmonds and ball . Daylight was 3rd . Mitchell has overtaken ball .
While what you say maybe true, market size should not dictate whole of NBA awards. If you aren’t going to watch the games then don’t vote on such things.

I just find lots of the commentary very ignorant and clearly shows that most people haven’t watched Utah playing.

I’ve watched both Philly and Utah all season so I feel at least somewhat qualified to comment on this particular issue. But I would admit to hardly watching any Cavs games or many other teams like the Pacers or Heat for example so I wouldn’t know other than looking at stats and reading media commentary or watching highlights on NBA Gametime, who has been playing well. Therefore commenting on the MVP award would be ridiculous. But this one when it’s down to just two players you can’t just go by the stats, they aren’t everything and some of them, are very subjective.

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks

I have no doubt at all Mitchell will end up being the better player. Won't be much between them and obviously both their ceilings are huge. I agree with you, the little things Mitchell does more often that Simmons stand out for me also. Simmons has better shooters and better post players around him so he is going to win on the stats sheet.

Simmons is better defensively and by some way, defensive ratings show his team is better off defensively when he’s on the court. Jazz have better rating when Mitchell is off the court.

Also Simmons assists would even be higher if his teammates were better shooters, they’ve missed a lot. Simmons is one of highest ranked in league on potential assists. His passing is also better. I’m not a Jazz or 76ers fan but Simmons is the better all round player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back