Entertainment & Music Anyone else over the Marvel/superhero saturation?

Yes or no?

• Yes, over it.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No, still kicking.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh.

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this scorseses “they’re not cinema” take? I love Martin (the horrible shutter island aside) but I honestly had no idea what he was even trying to say with this, ironic that while he is lamenting the death of “cinema” he was taking the Netflix millions to make a 3 and 1/2 film that likely gets edited down to a punchy 2 and 1/2 hours if it’s a cinematic release.

Also ironic that most of the most scathing criticism of comic book films usually comes from people who openly admit they’ve not seen them.

for mine his comments about not cinema relate to what we think of as board-room movies and mcu movies supposedly a theme park ride. they take you on a ride through the checkpoints you're supposed to see, formulaic.

it's an interesting discussion on its own, how much of a thing do i need to ingest before i know i don't want to ingest the thing.

when people say they don't like horror movies, there's an understanding that they have no interest in the themes and visuals in the movie, and no-one questions this or expects them to watch it before coming to that conclusion. they don't like blood, guts, violence, or maybe they're bored of zombies or tired of horror movie tropes. while it's true that a movie will be a more complex experience for those invested enough to follow characters they like and tease out narratives or other things, people stop short because of the trappings and whatever styling the story is wrapped in.
is it particularly fair? not really, but it's as fair as asking people to swallow themes they know they don't like to prove they don't like it.

anyway, i watch trailers, check reviews, written or youtube, watch some scenes as part of that.

for mine his comments about not cinema relate to what we think of as board-room movies and mcu movies supposedly a theme park ride. they take you on a ride through the checkpoints you're supposed to see, formulaic.

it's an interesting discussion on its own, how much of a thing do i need to ingest before i know i don't want to ingest the thing.

when people say they don't like horror movies, there's an understanding that they have no interest in the themes and visuals in the movie, and no-one questions this or expects them to watch it before coming to that conclusion. they don't like blood, guts, violence, or maybe they're bored of zombies or tired of horror movie tropes. while it's true that a movie will be a more complex experience for those invested enough to follow characters they like and tease out narratives or other things, people stop short because of the trappings and whatever styling the story is wrapped in.
is it particularly fair? not really, but it's as fair as asking people to swallow themes they know they don't like to prove they don't like it.

anyway, i watch trailers, check reviews, written or youtube, watch some scenes as part of that.
Fair, said person is likely missing some pretty ground breaking horror though (Ari Asters stuff, it follows).

More critically someone saying “the marvel stuff isn’t really my thing” completely fine, no issues. Someone saying “oh that s**t comic book crap is all garbage” who hasn’t watched it, I mean fine, you do you, but hardly qualified to comment imo.

Last edited:

Just read an article that said the modern superhero driven film industry means that a 100 million dollar comedy like Tropic Thunder would basically never get made today. There's no room in the budgets after throwing double that at MCU style flicks, especially one that's MA rated (Yanky R).

For comparison the first Deadpool flick was about 60 million and the second was nearly double that, however both had similar box office totals. Will be interesting to see what Disney throw at it.

Movies that used to be earning of a decent sized production no longer have it, original concepts now don't get the push behind them they used to. Doesn't mean they can't be good or aren't funded, but they can't be everything they could.

Last edited:
I don't know if they really count but I loved the Dark Night (all three of those actually) and the Joker.

As for the flood of others - I've only seen bits and pieces when kids are watching, etc - they seem ok for kids but I found them to be full of corny dialogue, corny CGI and corny sound effects.

For people who are really into them, I think it's great, I really do. I can understand if you follow comics and that whole culture it would really be something to look forward to.

My concern is that they also have a passive following due mass marketing and blocking out other options whereby people just watch those and don't consider anything else. So they think they sort of like it - like maccas I suppose. Is there a generation growing up who are missing out on good cinema?

Funding being used by these taking away from other good movies being made is a problem. Also, you'll find the studios behind these movies pay the cinemas to have wall to wall screenings to make it harder for others to get a look in. Where are the modern versions of great dramas/comedies like LA Confidential, The Sixth Sense, Mystic River, No Country for Old Men, Big Lebowski, The Prestige, Shawshank Redemption, etc etc etc.

Star Wars - same. Great initial trilogy, the rest just seems to be worse and worse.

It's almost to the point where these movies need to be classified as their own form of entertainment, outside of 'movie' or 'cinema'. Another poster here once said about the MCU movies that some of them simply cannot be enjoyed/watched as a one-off; you need to immerse yourself in the whole universe to get half of the references. That's fine for the hard-core folk but it does make you think that you can't really call any them them 'movies' in the traditional sense, they are more like 'episodes'.

I'd just like some more interesting choices at the cinema, that's all.

Just read an article that said the modern superhero driven film industry means that a 100 million dollar comedy like Tropic Thunder would basically never get made today. There's no room in the budgets after throwing double that at MCU style flicks, especially one that's MA rated (Yanky R).

For comparison the first Deadpool flick was about 60 million and the second was nearly double that, however both had similar box office totals. Will be interesting to see what Disney throw at it.

Movies that used to be earning of a decent sized production no longer have it, original concepts now don't get the push behind them they used to. Doesn't mean they can't be good or aren't funded, but they can't be everything they could.
Ive read alot of articles about similar stuff but the reality is those mid sized films were going the way of the dodo anyway. Blockbusters and indies was sort of happening more and more from when Jurrassic Park and Twister dominated the box office and every year after had a similar development (Men In Black through to Avatar).

In reality those mid sized comedies, roms and dramas are still getting made (albeit for slightly smaller budgets) theyre just straight to streaming now.

They're fine as far as blockbusters go. The sort of film you can go to with a pretty diverse group, and be reasonably confident that nobody will have a horrible time. I will occasionally use them as an opportunity to catch up with mates - enjoyed Ant-Man, Winter Soldier and Thor Ragnarok. I haven't seen one in a couple of years though, because post-COVID I don't go to the cinema any more.

I sort of have a rule that I won't watch the Avengers films any more - for someone who doesn't keep up with all the multi-film arcs and lore, they are hopelessly jumbled and confusing

Back