Anyone ever changed sporting allegiances?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Has anyone ever changed the team they support in any sort of sports? I'm not talking about having a half-hearted interest in some EPL team then switching when they get relegated or something, but actively stopping following/supporting a team and moving to another in the same league? Not important if its pro-sports or not, interested in your stories.

I've never done so, but as an Eagle who has lived a lot of their life in NRL territory, sides like Sydney, GWS and Brisbane could possibly achieve this one day in the very distant future.

I remember when the Titans joined the NRL I toyed with supporting them over the Raiders, but it never panned out. Same with the A-league, the Mariners have remained closest to my heart, and will do so unless Wollongong/Canberra finally get expansions.

It is hard to pull the heart away from where it sits, or has been invested.

I do follow Uruguay more than Australia in men's football, but that hasn't really been a changed sporting allegiance.

NRL - Western Suburbs to Illawarra to Canberra to Manly to Newcastle to Perth Reds to Hunter Mariners to Sth Qld Crushers to Adelaide Rams back to Manly to St George-Illawarra

AFL - Port Adelaide to Gold Coast to Greater Western Sydney to Collingwood to Carlton to Essendon to Melbourne to Richmond to St Kilda to Sydney to Fremantle and would switch to Tasmania if they entered but probably change again at some point.

NFL - Oakland to Baltimore, whilst also supporting Miami

EPL - Leeds Utd to Tottenham to Newcastle to Everton

NHL - New York Devils to Los Angeles Kings

Unlike most the earth's population who somehow associate sporting allegiances to religions and religious fervor....to me, it's just based on love. People can fall in and out of love with other people, jobs, hobbies/interests, genres of movies/music, etc. So there's nothing antithetical about switching allegiances with sporting teams as it's only just a response to love, levels of love ebbing and flowing.

What can make me switch my sporting teams -- lose connection with their fans, team relocates, team mergers, team changes colors or iconic uniform, team's ownership/manager/coaching I dislike or like come or go, certain players I dislike or like come or go, they become a rabble for far too long due to losing their way about being professional and clever tactically, the very identity or personality of the club changes that does not mesh with my own personality, etc.

Certain teams when I switch, I can completely disregard, mete %0 care for. Certain teams I can keep in my heart say %40 while feeling %60 for my new team. The percentages or levels of care/interest can rise and dip all the time, often permanently pushed away, but often kept around.

Eg...I still love Manly and Canberra, whilst now being all-in on St George. Still love Oakland and Miami, whilst being Baltimore. Take an interest in all those clubs still, just some more than others, but I'm always watching their games still, taking an interest. Whereas in AFL especially, I really can't care for any of the teams I've ever supported and even currently Fremantle is not a burning passion like NRL/NFL to me, but Fremantle #1 in AFL could be as strong an interest as Canberra #3 in NRL, say.

Billy ray :p

No I've never switched teams and couldn't imagine ever doing so. I agree with the above sentiment that it's Un-Australian. I chose the Black Caps as a kid in NZ (much to my Indian dad's dismay) and stuck with them even after we moved to Aus when I was 11 despite family and peer pressure to switch to India or Australia. I picked the Eagles soon after we moved and could never imagine switching teams after all this time. I've stayed on the All Blacks/Silver Ferns too but never faced any pressure to switch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great question. I posted this in a thread a few years back.
————
I was a west coast fan since day 1 in 1987, and a member since round 4 1988.
Went to pretty much all games either at subiaco and the waca from 1987 to 2011.
Also Went to grand finals in 2005 and 2006. Saw them lose one, heartbreak, and win one, ecstasy.

So I basically watched all my footy live at the game, not on tv (well home games that is).

Moved to the Gold Coast at start of 2012. And decided to make the switch to the Suns. After all I support my team live at the game. There wasn't at that point any rivalry between the Eagles and Suns for me to think I can't go for the Suns (eg if I moved to Brisbane or Sydney or Melbourne I would not have switched to the lions, swans or any Melbourne teams). But the Suns were new, and most importantly, I could go to the games with my kids and wife and all go for the same team and all get dressed up in jumpers, hats, scarves etc etc. I never went to a game once with my wife or kids in Perth, just couldn't be done due to capped memberships/every seat sold.

So yeh, I made the switch a few years back now. And even with the Eagles great year and grand final appearance this year, I haven't swayed from my support for Suns as my new team. I'll always have a soft spot for Eagles, but when it's Suns v Eagles, I'm a Suns man (and boy did that come clear to me this year when the teams drew and the Suns were robbed!! ).

i changed to ravens because they most fit my personality as a person, most compatible club philosophy to my own.....hard nosed, not fancy, working class, tough and dark, no nonsense.

I remember watching a Johnny Unitas tribute before a Colts game @ Ravens...

It was really weird watching both sides pay tribute...

Wallabies and rugby in general are on the nose.

But will you take up going for someone else? I usually just go for the underdogs in the WC but I don't cheer against us.

When Robbie Deans was passed over for the ABs top gig, many of us Mainlanders were secretly hoping he would do well with the Wallabies.

We hate Auckland.

Last edited:
Wallabies and rugby in general are on the nose.

But will you take up going for someone else? I usually just go for the underdogs in the WC but I don't cheer against us.

Probably just watch the odd game between the good countries.

Rugby World Cup is full of crap games as it is with so many loser countries. 20 teams when only about 10 of them are fully professional sides. Won't pay much attention until the quarter finals.

Has anyone ever changed the team they support in any sort of sports? I'm not talking about having a half-hearted interest in some EPL team then switching when they get relegated or something, but actively stopping following/supporting a team and moving to another in the same league? Not important if its pro-sports or not, interested in your stories.

Yes the Australian men's cricket team!

I got sick of how the team was being run into the ground, add the players and their petulant ways. I'm glad to wish them nothing but doom :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back