Anyone ever changed sporting allegiances?

Remove this Banner Ad

Picked up Carlton in mid 70s, Syd Jackson, Geoff Southby, Bruce Doull etc but as a Sydney boy I jumped immediately in 1982. Barry Round held our team together.

We didn't win much but it was my team.

Always had a soft spot for the Blues, but cheating Elliott and the p....k Fitzpatrick has made it easy to not feel much for them now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’ll admit to being a lacklustre Celtics fan for 30 years and now jumping on the Raptors.

The way players move around these days in that sport i think changing teams every 5 years or so is reasonable.

I have not changed my NBA or NFL teams i start following when i was in primary school but if i visited America before i chose my teams no doubt i would of chosen different teams to follow.

Yeah I pretty much barrack for whichever AFLM team is the premier.
AFLM? This is not a thing. Is it? Cause it shouldn't be.

Know a few girls who have switched AFL teams to support their boyfriends team. I find it extremely cringe-worthy.
Not the type of people who I'd want to be sharing a trench with in the event of WW3 and mass conscription.

Aww I did wonder if that was part of the the reason you started the thread :p . Did you have an epiphany about Bolton?

Nah there is no danger of me switching AFL clubs. But supporting the club gives me very little excitement anymore and I find I miss games without even realising, whereas a few years ago I would plan my weekends around watching them. And we sucked then too so it isn't just about winning and losing.

Nah there is no danger of me switching AFL clubs. But supporting the club gives me very little excitement anymore and I find I miss games without even realising, whereas a few years ago I would plan my weekends around watching them. And we sucked then too so it isn't just about winning and losing.
Once clarko is your coach you will be fine

AFLM? This is not a thing. Is it? Cause it shouldn't be.

Know a few girls who have switched AFL teams to support their boyfriends team. I find it extremely cringe-worthy.
Not the type of people who I'd want to be sharing a trench with in the event of WW3 and mass conscription.
AFLM is the male version of AFL, a lot of people use the word.

AFLM is the male version of AFL, a lot of people use the word.

Lol no they don't.
the only reason commentators/journos use the term is because it gets the bogans frothing at the mouth. There is no way the AFL is gonna actually re-brand itself as such anyway.

There aren't many (if any) men's competitions anyway. I don't think boxing would ever allow a woman to fight a man if she made weight.

There's either an age restriction, it's a women's comp or it's open. I stand to be corrected but there's no rule against women playing in the AFL. The AFL's own rules state 'words importing any gender shall be deemed to include the other gender'. Any AFLW player should be eligible to nominate for the AFL draft. You can't nominate for the AFLW draft unless you are in fact a woman.

Lol no they don't.
the only reason commentators/journos use the term is because it gets the bogans frothing at the mouth. There is no way the AFL is gonna actually re-brand itself as such anyway.
I've spoken with Dr Bridie O'Donnell who regularly says AFLM on the radio. We recognise that it's a grass roots movement to remove male naming privilege, but it's also gaining traction. I also think it removes a lot of confusion.

I've spoken with Dr Bridie O'Donnell who regularly says AFLM on the radio. We recognise that it's a grass roots movement to remove male naming privilege, but it's also gaining traction. I also think it removes a lot of confusion.
Male naming privilege? Welp, have heard it all now. Looking forwards to the M-NBA, M-EPL, M-NFL, M-A League etc etc.

Why is there no confusion or 'movement' in any of the other sports leagues around the world that don't specify that they are a men's competition? Premier League/Women's Premier League, Bundesliga/Frauen-Bundesliga, La Liga/La Liga Femenina, NBA/WNBA, A-league/W-league etc etc. Is it possible that nobody actually cares besides some folks trying to fill air time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Male naming privilege? Welp, have heard it all now. Looking forwards to the M-NBA, M-EPL, M-NFL, M-A League etc etc.
A-league already has separate names for men and women competition. It's not Aleague-W.

There's nothing wrong with finding mens names for those competitions. MPL is just as good as EPL.

Why is there no confusion or 'movement' in any of the other sports leagues around the world that don't specify that they are a men's competition? Premier League/Women's Premier League, Bundesliga/Frauen-Bundesliga, La Liga/La Liga Femenina, NBA/WNBA, A-league/W-league etc etc. Is it possible that nobody actually cares besides some folks trying to fill air time?
Because they don't have the same name for the sport, the competition, the commission, the way that AFL does. AFLM would indicate we're discussing the male form of the game, and not the commission.

A-league already has separate names for men and women competition. It's not Aleague-W.

There's nothing wrong with finding mens names for those competitions. MPL is just as good as EPL.
Yeah, it's the W-League. So should the A League thrown a M in there now? This is partly the reason causes like gender parity aren't taken seriously by a lot of people. Trying to chance something that is not even an issue in an attempt to feel superior.

Zero people are confusing the mens game and womens game in Australian Rules Football.

Yeah, it's the W-League. So should the A League thrown a M in there now? This is partly the reason causes like gender parity aren't taken seriously by a lot of people. Trying to chance something that is not even an issue in an attempt to feel superior.

Zero people are confusing the mens game and womens game in Australian Rules Football.
W A League would please our resident Perfies.

There's no tacked on W to signify a woman's league. It's just a different name. A is mens, W is women's. The sport also isn't called A-league, it's football.

Gender naming parity is important. It's not about trying to feel superior.

i will say that it is annoying how the AFL not only governs the league but the entire sport. The amount of people that say they "play AFL" or "my favourite sport is AFL" is astounding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back