Anyone here from Hobart?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong in general is great place to live, would not move.
We were pretty close to going to Geelong, and we do really like it there. The feel is a bit like Hobart. But we figured this is our big adventure, might as well go somewhere a bit further afield - and the summer weather in Geelong is just as hot as Melbourne's. But we take holidays in the Geelong area all the time, and I think we still will. We'll be coming back to Vic around 4 times a year.

We were pretty close to going to Geelong, and we do really like it there. The feel is a bit like Hobart. But we figured this is our big adventure, might as well go somewhere a bit further afield - and the summer weather in Geelong is just as hot as Melbourne's. But we take holidays in the Geelong area all the time, and I think we still will. We'll be coming back to Vic around 4 times a year.
Move to Canada if you don’t like hot weather. Winter here is brutal.

Wanting to escape the Victorian summers. Hate hot weather with every fibre of my being.
It gets hot as hell in Hobart. The sun is more intense also. It will be 40+ in town and you’ll still see rain rolling off the hills. Awesome spot though. Sandy Bay and the surrounds are the place to be but is known as Sandy Beijing by locals due to the influx of Chinese in the last few years.

It gets hot as hell in Hobart. The sun is more intense also. It will be 40+ in town and you’ll still see rain rolling off the hills. Awesome spot though. Sandy Bay and the surrounds are the place to be but is known as Sandy Beijing by locals due to the influx of Chinese in the last few years.
With all due respect, I've tracked the temperature every day over summer and Hobart has been between 4 and 8 degrees cooler than Melbourne every single day. Sun intensity, sure - the ozone layer is thinner, gotta be careful.

We've been looking at Bellerieve, Lindisfarne and Howrah - just not sure if we'll have enough money to buy a decently big house in the first two. Also Lenah Valley, West Moonah, Taroona on the city side. Of those, probably West Moonah is more affordable, and it's very close to Lenah Valley, shares the same school catchment. Battery Point and Sandy Bay are crazy expensive though - nice as they are. Taroona might be a bit of a stretch too, but maybe.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Any of those are nice. Would also consider South Hobart and Dynnyrne. Opossum Bay where I live is 45km from Hobart, and while it is a beautiful little place near the mouth of the Derwent, is on tank water and pretty much at least 20 minutes from anything more than petrol and the bare essentials.

Wait - you're in Canada too?

Or are Tempy Tiger and Topkent the same person? o_O:eek:
It actually hasn't been that bad here. -26 today and with the wind -40 so any part of your skin that isn't covered burns like no pain you would really know and yet it's been pretty mild this year.

There is a job in my agency coming up that I could theoretically apply for (and would probably get, I think) only its in Perth. I'm actively considering it but I don't really want to move that far from the bulk of our H&A. I get the bends if I'm too far from the MCG. Are Perth people weird? I honestly don't know. I've been there a few times but always for work and the inside of a hotel looks pretty similar wherever you are so I can't say I took much of an impression.

There is a job in my agency coming up that I could theoretically apply for (and would probably get, I think) only its in Perth. I'm actively considering it but I don't really want to move that far from the bulk of our H&A. I get the bends if I'm too far from the MCG. Are Perth people weird? I honestly don't know. I've been there a few times but always for work and the inside of a hotel looks pretty similar wherever you are so I can't say I took much of an impression.

Perth people are weird as *

With all due respect, I've tracked the temperature every day over summer and Hobart has been between 4 and 8 degrees cooler than Melbourne every single day. Sun intensity, sure - the ozone layer is thinner, gotta be careful.
I go there for New Years every year. The figures don’t represent just how hot it feels. You’ll see anyway.

I go there for New Years every year. The figures don’t represent just how hot it feels. You’ll see anyway.
Maybe you don't know how hot Melbourne felt on the same day then... ;)

It's just illogical to say that a city that averages about 4-5 degrees cooler all year round will feel hotter. In that case, I might as well move to Darwin so i can feel really cool. o_O I've lived in a lot of climates, so it's not like I'm unaware of the parameters of weather. But if you ever catch me posting about how I miss Melbourne's cooler weather, feel free to call me on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back