Gym & Misc Anyone into yoga?

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I'm a big fan. My favourite type of exercise along with weights.

Works wonders for my joints and I can really feel the difference if I go a period without doing it.

I know 'feeling centred' sounds like wankish buzzwords to some, but I have a feeling of calmness and tranquility after doing yoga that I don't get from other types of exercise. I think I have a pretty good mind/body connection while doing weights, but the constant focus on moving on the breath during yoga takes it to the next level.

RichRich087

Draftee
Jul 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
i try it but really struggle sitting down. i also feel like half the time im not doing it right. are classes worth while doing?

Eazyfit

Draftee
Aug 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Really look forward to a session of yoga during the week really helps with recovery after a big game. It's quite big in the afl as well now

What you get from yoga relies a lot on the instructor. Some just get you to wave your hands around, some are ethereal, and some a grounded. Possibly the most hurting (spelling) class I do is a yoga class that is like power yoga. Amazing!
But other classes I have done are sort of relaxing, but fairly useless.

I do a lot of Body Balance, which is pretty good. As with most Les Mills classes it evens out the garbage from the great, to usually being pretty good.

If you can get a pure stretching class I recommend it. Amazing what happens when you stretch for an hour with someone that knows their stuff. But very hard to find - classes and people that know about stretching. Your body will feel hurt (in a good way) and then aches and pains go away and everything gets easier over time.

alanlau34

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone into yoga?
I have just started doing some
of the more simple poses.
It's very relaxing.
Big fan, try to do at least one class a week. Great form of physical mediation, focussed breathing, and quite challenging when done correctly.

Great "soft" way to balance out my "hard" weights and martial arts

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
What you get from yoga relies a lot on the instructor. Some just get you to wave your hands around, some are ethereal, and some a grounded. Possibly the most hurting (spelling) class I do is a yoga class that is like power yoga. Amazing!
But other classes I have done are sort of relaxing, but fairly useless.

I do a lot of Body Balance, which is pretty good. As with most Les Mills classes it evens out the garbage from the great, to usually being pretty good.

If you can get a pure stretching class I recommend it. Amazing what happens when you stretch for an hour with someone that knows their stuff. But very hard to find - classes and people that know about stretching. Your body will feel hurt (in a good way) and then aches and pains go away and everything gets easier over time.
try Yin yoga. its extremely passive and involves holding poses for 3 to 5 minutes to allow you to get deep into the posture. supposedly it targets the connective tissue instead of the large muscles but all i know is that its a really awesome stretch and a nice compliment to Ashtanga/power yoga type stuff.

try Yin yoga. its extremely passive and involves holding poses for 3 to 5 minutes to allow you to get deep into the posture. supposedly it targets the connective tissue instead of the large muscles but all i know is that its a really awesome stretch and a nice compliment to Ashtanga/power yoga type stuff.

Sounds good.

Yoga is often used like it means something in particular. But in reality every instructor does it differently. Sometimes it's virtually a different thing. which is a god thing.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, Yin yoga. I tried another type of yoga years ago and walked out sweating from head to toe, where as this yin yoga is great to just stretch everything out.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
That's what I'm doing at the moment, Yin yoga. I tried another type of yoga years ago and walked out sweating from head to toe, where as this yin yoga is great to just stretch everything out.
yeah, love me some Yin. everything feels like jelly when im done and its not taxing on the body so you can still get your higher intensity workouts in.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos

Yin is my favourite. I try and do a vipassana class every day and yin atleast 4 times a week.

A 90 minute yin class flies by, it feels like a 20 minute class.

For the amount of yoga i have done it is quite amazing "bad" i am at it. For those that think they are crap, stick at it. Some of us are less flexible and have different body shapes. But we will get there ;)

I think my legs are disproportionately longer than torso and arms which makes many poses and transitions more difficult.

Yin is my favourite. I try and do a vipassana class every day and yin atleast 4 times a week.

A 90 minute yin class flies by, it feels like a 20 minute class.

For the amount of yoga i have done it is quite amazing "bad" i am at it. For those that think they are crap, stick at it. Some of us are less flexible and have different body shapes. But we will get there ;)

I think my legs are disproportionately longer than torso and arms which makes many poses and transitions more difficult.
I've actually started doing pilates which I find is a good mix between yin yoga and a proper workout

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've actually started doing pilates which I find is a good mix between yin yoga and a proper workout

I've actually been considering doing pilates at home with the missus, do you do classes or just follow along on YouTube?

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos

With all due respect, i find pilates nothing like yin. I dont enjoy it at all but it is a great thing to do so am looking to do a class a week.

Pilates is fantastic compliment to yoga.

I've actually been considering doing pilates at home with the missus, do you do classes or just follow along on YouTube?
I've been doing classes, I personally prefer it as I'm not very good so it helps having the trainer there to do the little corrections and adjustments I can't see

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If you can handle that much Bikram you'll easily do meditation.

Have you booked in?
Yes, I got my invite email a few weeks ago, I'll get an email mid January when I'll just have to confirm I'm going. Starts late January, I will be there.

Back