Gym & Misc Anyone into yoga?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
For the amount of yoga i have done it is quite amazing "bad" i am at it. For those that think they are crap, stick at it. Some of us are less flexible and have different body shapes. But we will get there ;)

Ironically stretching is a really inefficient way of changing tissue length at a physiological level.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
What is the efficient way? I am open to suggestions?

I think my fascia is very tight as well.

You need to add force (so basically controlled full ROM resistance training).
I’ve forgotten the exact figures but isolating one muscle/joint; then doing 3 sets of weights 3 times a week is equivalent to holding stretches for 5min + multiple times a day every day.
Our flexibility has a neurological and physiological component.
Stretching as most people do (like, 99%) only addresses the neurological half of the equation.
A friend showed me a trick a while ago where you can make people appear to have less or more hamstring flexibility by getting them to do 2 simple things. Should make a video and post it cos it’s pretty cool.

Fascia (like the rest of our body) needs hydration so that could be something to look at.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
You need to add force (so basically controlled full ROM resistance training).
I’ve forgotten the exact figures but isolating one muscle/joint; then doing 3 sets of weights 3 times a week is equivalent to holding stretches for 5min + multiple times a day every day.
Our flexibility has a neurological and physiological component.
Stretching as most people do (like, 99%) only addresses the neurological half of the equation.
A friend showed me a trick a while ago where you can make people appear to have less or more hamstring flexibility by getting them to do 2 simple things. Should make a video and post it cos it’s pretty cool.

Fascia (like the rest of our body) needs hydration so that could be something to look at.

Thanks i have been thinking about doing some weight training.

If i am dehydrated then it doesnt have to do with not drknking enough water. Could something else cause dehydration?

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Thanks i have been thinking about doing some weight training.

If i am dehydrated then it doesnt have to do with not drknking enough water. Could something else cause dehydration?

I drink 3-4L a day and I’d still say I’m dehydrated more often that not.
Obviously I’ve got something going on that means I either don’t absorb the fluid very well or I metabolise it super quickly.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I have six weeks holiday coming up starting Friday so going to start going to yoga three times a week to increase my mobility at CrossFit.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I have six weeks holiday coming up starting Friday so going to start going to yoga three times a week to increase my mobility at CrossFit.
Are you doing the standard or hot yoga? The hot yoga I've been doing regularly for around 6 months now I can honestly say is the best exercise I've ever done for a fantastic feeling of well being, looseness and a sense of calm.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I don't really know. I'm not sure yet what sessions the yoga studio holds but will definitely keep that in mind.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
DC Training emphasises fascia stretching using weights.

So standing calf raises would involve a 15 second stretch at the end of the last rep.
Started weight training.

Yoga teacher agreed wholeheartedly that i need to weight train to get more flexibility etc.

Really enjoying the gym.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Are you doing the standard or hot yoga? The hot yoga I've been doing regularly for around 6 months now I can honestly say is the best exercise I've ever done for a fantastic feeling of well being, looseness and a sense of calm.

I have to say thst Bikram is the worst yoga I've done.

It is definitely not for everyone.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I agree.

I love to sweat and have always been into vigorous exercise so it suits me.

Have you heard of auyvedic medicine?

One of my yoga teacher keeps going on about it in her classes. Anyway she mentioned that people into hot yoga and intense physical exercise are have strong Pitta dosha.

Are you naturally lean?

It isnt black and white, like you can be a mixture of three but usually have a dominant dosha.

I am into the more relaxing yoga and my eyes look kapha however i have pitta (fiesty) tendencies if pushed in meetings etc. My dominant dosha is almost certainly kapha.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Have you heard of auyvedic medicine?

One of my yoga teacher keeps going on about it in her classes. Anyway she mentioned that people into hot yoga and intense physical exercise are have strong Pitta dosha.

Are you naturally lean?
I am naturally very lean, some would say skinny as a rake and have never carried any extra weight throughout my whole life no matter what I ate or drank.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I am naturally very lean, some would say skinny as a rake and have never carried any extra weight throughout my whole life no matter what I ate or drank.

Yes well if there is anything in Ayurveda medicine then vipassana is going to be freakin fantastic for you.

Apparently we are attracted to our dominant doshas, hence you liking vigorous exercise and hot yoga and me liking meditation and slow yoga.

I need to be doing more vigorous exercise to balance my dosha out (eat more chilli and less ice cream) and you need to be doing more chilled things like meditation (more icecream and less chilli)

Very simplistic explanation.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Getting closer. Are you nervous?
Really looking forward to it. I've had a look at a few youtube posts re what to expect and I'm thinking I'll be fine. I know I can live without phones/computers/on line stuff for 10 days, done it before. I'm good with my own company as well so I don't think I'll have too much trouble with the minimal social interaction either.

I'll post a report on here or on some god thread on the SRP board/lifestyle meditation thread depending on what sort of experiences I have, if any.

I have to say thst Bikram is the worst yoga I've done.

It is definitely not for everyone.

I've never tried it and know its not for me- i cant stand saunas and heat in general. Would hate it.

"Regular" yoga tho is great, have done it before and did enjoy it. Should get back to another class soon.

Back