Anyone play basketball?

Remove this Banner Ad

i play im mens in melbourne as a point guard/shooting guard. Used to play more seriously ie. rep but couldnt keep playing with the tall guys. Still enjoying it though

im rick james dog said:
i play im mens in melbourne as a point guard/shooting guard. Used to play more seriously ie. rep but couldnt keep playing with the tall guys. Still enjoying it though
yeah, i used to dominate when i was as tall as everyone else, now im much shorter and im just a good player, not the team its self

Im a 5'4" defensive minded guard/power forward.

the team used to use me inside to create mismatches, especcially on the defensive end when the opposing forward would try to muscle in and id force him towards my twin towers. worked every time.

gave up about 5 years ago realising its a tall mans game.

peternorth said:
Im a 5'4" defensive minded guard/power forward.

the team used to use me inside to create mismatches, especcially on the defensive end when the opposing forward would try to muscle in and id force him towards my twin towers. worked every time.

gave up about 5 years ago realising its a tall mans game.

:D

I haven't played seriously since we won the A grade title in under-16s, which sucks, because I'm about 6 inches taller and 4 times better nowadays

I'm 16 and I occasionally go out with my dad's mates senior social team. I'm 6'2 which usually means I have to play inside which allows these huge men to push around my 70 kg body. Still good fun if it does reveal that i'm more suited to footy and cricket.

jo172 said:
I'm 16 and I occasionally go out with my dad's mates senior social team. I'm 6'2 which usually means I have to play inside which allows these huge men to push around my 70 kg body. Still good fun if it does reveal that i'm more suited to footy and cricket.
i remember my first game in seniors when i was 16, i was just thinking all game "holy ****, these guys are rough"

delirious1 said:
i remember my first game in seniors when i was 16, i was just thinking all game "holy ****, these guys are rough"

I'm usually the tallest guy on court but the skinniest so i'll plant myself under every ball and then some how be pushed out of the way before I catch it. My main advantage is physical fitness;)

I play in a team with friends at Knox in the bottom grade there. Last week we played a team of guys in their 40s and we won 98-14. I scored 31 and still wasn't top scorer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play in mens league division 9 on sundays night here in melbourne.
i came along to the team to sorta help with numbers but play alright.
since im one of the tallest on the team even though im only 6ft, i usually play inside, but would be much rather suited to shooting guard or 3 man.

TigerFan said:
:D

I haven't played seriously since we won the A grade title in under-16s, which sucks, because I'm about 6 inches taller and 4 times better nowadays

actually there's an interesting sidenote to this for Geelong fans...

I played with one of your rookies, Todd Grima, and he hit the game-winning shot in the grand final

I'm not gonna explain the entire scenario (you'd never believe it if I did :)), but it was the ultimate clutch shot, and hopefully Todd will have the same success at AFL level :thumbsu:

Holy s**t. 12 years later.

Still playing A grade. Got these guys who can throw down windmill dunks nowdays. When games about 12 years ago a dude dunking was crazy

Also 3 knee ACL's later.

I heard thibodeau is interested in you

actually there's an interesting sidenote to this for Geelong fans...

I played with one of your rookies, Todd Grima, and he hit the game-winning shot in the grand final

I'm not gonna explain the entire scenario (you'd never believe it if I did :)), but it was the ultimate clutch shot, and hopefully Todd will have the same success at AFL level :thumbsu:

Didnt pan out i guess

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 10.48.36 am.png

Played since i was 6, quit districts in under 18s when people taller started getting picked over me even if they weren't very good. Now i just play social mens with mates. All good fun but weve been having alot of trouble with people getting angry and starting fights which has started to take alot of the enjoyment out of it

Played social ball most of my life. Never tried out for district as at 6ft (and as a high motor but low explosive type) I figured I would get laughed out of the gym. Then I had multiple injuries.

Started playing a lot of pick up ball on courts around Adelaide and that’s the best most fun bball I’ve ever played in my life. Also surprisingly the best reffed and safest games I’ve ever played (we called our own fouls)

If none of you ever play pick up ball go out and try it. In Adelaide it’s the bigger courts around and it’s pretty casual. Way more fun than social for me which was a head* with all the ‘I don’t know the rules so I’m going to run into you and hold you all the time and jump into you when you gather the ball for no whistle people’ but down the other end I’ll get called for going vertical on people running into me. Social basketball is the worst thing to happen to basketball since it was invented.

Reminded me of one of the most insane finishers I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t call it clutch but it was unbelievable.

I was about to go on court for my game and previous game is winding up with few seconds on the clock when the team that is up has the ball down their end.
They miss a shot, a player grabs the ball and heaves a full court shot with 1 sec left. It falls short by almost half the court. Everyone walks off the court, we’re walking on and the ball takes a couple of bounces down the court and falls into the basket. Someone on the sidelines realises what’s happened and goes nuts. Most of both teams have no idea what just happened.

Small world though I actually played basketball and footy with older brother Nathan who played for North and coached the younger brother Alex in bball.

Scarily in my 26th year of some form of bball, although only play social now. As mentioned in this thread it's very noticeable how many more players can dunk now.

Playing in tas have been lucky as not big and yet we have had some decent players come out of here which means I have got to play with or against them all at some stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back