Anyone working as a Department Manager in a supermarket?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was on $53,000 as a department manager at Target 4 years ago, working 50 - 60 hours a week. 70 to 80 at Xmas / toy sale. I would say most department managers would be on $55 plus.

Effectively $15-20 an hour, reducing over the Christmas period.

Why would people do it?

In the heyday of my supermarket career (8+ years ago) I used to get about $20 an hour for opening boxes, placing the contents of the boxes onto shelves then disposing of the boxes.

Effectively $15-20 an hour, reducing over the Christmas period.

Why would people do it?

In the heyday of my supermarket career (8+ years ago) I used to get about $20 an hour for opening boxes, placing the contents of the boxes onto shelves then disposing of the boxes.

This is why I quit but if you stick it out and get to a store manager level you are taking home $90 grand.

Jesus Christ

The pays in here are an eye opener.

The little pay and conditions sound absolutely terrible.

I've got my, from 24yo to 45yo, Admin Girls in an office (minimum of 4 years experience) on $45K + Wed & Sat Night Rotations at Time and a half plus month end bonuses. All up around the $55K + Super mark working average of 42-45 hours a week max. Reception is on the lower end of $35K to $40K max + Super.

I've got my Admin Managers (1 at each site) on $80K + Super + Bonuses. All up $86K + Super each. Looking after an Admin team of 10. Interrelating with 10 other Department Managers. Site of 65 staff.

I pay high and have great flexibilty but I get loyal and hardworking people.

I am actually in the Retail Industry as well, in an Admin Capacity. The Clerical pays are generally shocking. I pay far more than others do in my Industry. I don't give a rats what others do and how little they pay. Paying a pittance for staff directly increases my workload. I want quality staff.

I'm still shocked at what goes on at Supermarkets.

Base salary nearly 67k now and I am doing less work than ever. Often find myself hanging around doing nothing at the end of the day so I can clock off having done my hours.

Base salary nearly 67k now and I am doing less work than ever. Often find myself hanging around doing nothing at the end of the day so I can clock off having done my hours.
You don't clock off if your a salaried manager unless you are caretaking somewhere else. You sure your on salary or an in charge rate which is base rate of pay with entitlements for being in charge.

Living the dream

(Actually very nice and something I'd take for an unskilled job)
It's only unskilled when your a shelf packer. You need adequate admin skills to be a salaried manager and a decent amount of business acumen to run a store. People get caught up in the unskilled side of things. We do a lot of I.T training and that industry you get a decent wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't clock off if your a salaried manager unless you are caretaking somewhere else. You sure your on salary or an in charge rate which is base rate of pay with entitlements for being in charge.

We've always clocked on and off just like the staff do and if you're regularly doing less than your 40 hours you end up on a report. I always try and do my 40 hours each week just incase someone tried to manage me in the future and looked into it.

We've always clocked on and off just like the staff do and if you're regularly doing less than your 40 hours you end up on a report. I always try and do my 40 hours each week just incase someone tried to manage me in the future and looked into it.
Must be a WA thing because I've never had to since I moved to salary a couple of years back. I get a set wage with bonuses if results are good.

Must be a WA thing because I've never had to since I moved to salary a couple of years back. I get a set wage with bonuses if results are good.

Has it ever occurred to you that different companies have different policies? I also get a set wage with bonuses, I don't get paid differently according to what times I clocked on or off. I just clock on and off anyway because we are supposed to do it.

Left supermarkets to work for a supplier. Conditions, pay, hours and career opportunities have all been a lot better. One of the best moves I have ever made.

Thought I’d give everyone an update on this. I’ve now been with the same supplier for 8 years and my career has accelerated well beyond where I could have gone with supermarkets.

I work incredibly long hours but am still much happier. I did have a degree which helped the transition but for anyone looking to make a move across to the supplier side the easiest pathway is into a territory sales manager role. Usually kicks off approx 60 plus car.

Store experience is usually highly regarded as it makes the transition a lot easier

Thought I’d give everyone an update on this. I’ve now been with the same supplier for 8 years and my career has accelerated well beyond where I could have gone with supermarkets.

I work incredibly long hours but am still much happier. I did have a degree which helped the transition but for anyone looking to make a move across to the supplier side the easiest pathway is into a territory sales manager role. Usually kicks off approx 60 plus car.

Store experience is usually highly regarded as it makes the transition a lot easier
I find working as a rep which comes into the stores and basically fills and builds their specific brand of stock to be a pretty decent career as well. Know plenty of ex Coles employees who work for Coca Cola and Cadbury's as an example and they are on a good wicket and the job is very basic.

I find working as a rep which comes into the stores and basically fills and builds their specific brand of stock to be a pretty decent career as well. Know plenty of ex Coles employees who work for Coca Cola and Cadbury's as an example and they are on a good wicket and the job is very basic.

Spot on and depending on the company sometimes you can do what I did and work your way up through the ranks, I’ve done multiple roles in my business and am now our account manager for one of the major supermarkets

Back in my supermarket heyday I worked at a store with a guy who had a nightfill contract fri-mon, He had been at the store 15 years and never became 2IC or the very least learn anything for when managers were away.

It was one of the easiest gigs i've ever seen someone have for a job.

Back in my supermarket heyday I worked at a store with a guy who had a nightfill contract fri-mon, He had been at the store 15 years and never became 2IC or the very least learn anything for when managers were away.

It was one of the easiest gigs i've ever seen someone have for a job.
Nightfill in charge is easy, you delegate aisles to your team at night and check up on them to make sure everything gets done within the timeframe. It's not rocket science but you don't get decent pay for it. Duty manager is different. Your in charge of the shop and there are some Duty managers out there on a very good wicket, alot of the time its because they are good mates with the Store Manager or Regional Managers. The reality is though if you end up becoming a Duty Manager your very little chance of stepping up into a senior role during the day. Your best bet these days is going through a graduate program as they cherry pick these guys for the Store Manager roles and beyond.

Nightfill in charge is easy, you delegate aisles to your team at night and check up on them to make sure everything gets done within the timeframe. It's not rocket science but you don't get decent pay for it. Duty manager is different. Your in charge of the shop and there are some Duty managers out there on a very good wicket, alot of the time its because they are good mates with the Store Manager or Regional Managers. The reality is though if you end up becoming a Duty Manager your very little chance of stepping up into a senior role during the day. Your best bet these days is going through a graduate program as they cherry pick these guys for the Store Manager roles and beyond.
Not for long

Nightfill in charge is easy...

It should but it's not all the time...

We had issues for 2 years at the store with a few older workers trying to get away with doing as less work as possible. After 9 months of dealing with the union they sent a private investigator disguised as a 'new worker' to observe them work. Finally they got brought into a meeting with the area manager and that finally got them to pull their finger out for good.

I now hear all duty managers how to reapply for new positions with this restructure!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back