Anzac day 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
The two clubs with consistently the biggest supporter bases in Melbourne over the last two decades (memberships and average attendances) both coming into this game off the back of good performances, should have fans licking their lips. Also with 10 days to prepare both teams should be cherry ripe as the size of this game won't allow for complacency interfering with their build up. A cracker (hopefullly) between Richmond and Melbourne the night before should also make for a great footy based public holiday, for us footy tragics.

I welcome some talk about those two games in this thread, however, I want to focus on a better way of managing the game each year.

I know the player's association has been pushing for two byes in the season. I think if we start a week earlier than this is the perfect timing for it. Instead of having just one bye in the middle of the year, this would become round 6 and we can play 4 games in round 6 and 5 in round 7. We can play a game the night before like we are with Melb v Tigers, and two other games on Anzac day, that doesn't interfere with the RSL's wish to have just one game in Melbourne. I suggest that we have the Showdown at 5.30pm Adelaide time and a Derby at 7 pm Perth time, or whatever works with having the games back to back to back.

The RSL can use those games as fundraisers in those states too. Regards the Foxtel-Seven split, Seven can have the game on 24th and then broadcast the games live into the home states, Foxtel can broadcast the games into other states.

Wadda y'all think?

The issue this year is the Richmond-Melbourne game. In previous years when Anzac Day fell on a Wednesday the game was the opening match of the round. Collingwood and Essendon were playing each other off a 4 day break.

The issue this year is the Richmond-Melbourne game. In previous years when Anzac Day fell on a Wednesday the game was the opening match of the round. Collingwood and Essendon were playing each other off a 4 day break.
Next year Ess v Coll will be on Thursday so we will both play the Saturday the week before and kick the round off. No issue for us in r.6. Hopefully Rich v Melb will end r.4 and they have to put up with the short turnaround. Only fair. Why should Essendon and Collingwood be unfairly disadvantaged while Richmond and Melbourne get a free ride each year the short turnaround the following week is an issue?

The two clubs with consistently the biggest supporter bases in Melbourne over the last two decades (memberships and average attendances) both coming into this game off the back of good performances, should have fans licking their lips. Also with 10 days to prepare both teams should be cherry ripe as the size of this game won't allow for complacency interfering with their build up. A cracker (hopefullly) between Richmond and Melbourne the night before should also make for a great footy based public holiday, for us footy tragics.

I welcome some talk about those two games in this thread, however, I want to focus on a better way of managing the game each year.

I know the player's association has been pushing for two byes in the season. I think if we start a week earlier than this is the perfect timing for it. Instead of having just one bye in the middle of the year, this would become round 6 and we can play 4 games in round 6 and 5 in round 7. We can play a game the night before like we are with Melb v Tigers, and two other games on Anzac day, that doesn't interfere with the RSL's wish to have just one game in Melbourne. I suggest that we have the Showdown at 5.30pm Adelaide time and a Derby at 7 pm Perth time, or whatever works with having the games back to back to back.

The RSL can use those games as fundraisers in those states too. Regards the Foxtel-Seven split, Seven can have the game on 24th and then broadcast the games live into the home states, Foxtel can broadcast the games into other states.

Wadda y'all think?
Heaven forbid that ANZAC Day would interfere with your football and that the AFL have to cede one day during the season to others.

The two clubs with consistently the biggest supporter bases in Melbourne over the last two decades (memberships and average attendances) both coming into this game off the back of good performances, should have fans licking their lips.

Got as far as here before deciding this is less a post about how the Anzac Day clash could be changed and more about someone trying to pretend that their club has the biggest supporter base in the land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its good that this bottom 8 clash has at least have the two sides coming off wins.

Pies by 2 goals
Shouldn't you be more focused with what's happening at Kardinia atm?

It says 'consistently over the last two decades' - not 'in 2017/18'.

Read the post numb-nuts.

Consistently over the last two decades means that at some stage Essendon was has had the second highest membership numbers.

Can you tell me in what years (if any) that has happened 'consistently' over the past two decades?

Consistently over the last two decades means that at some stage Essendon was has had the second highest membership numbers.

Can you tell me in what years (if any) that has happened 'consistently' over the past two decades?
Why dont you?

I know the Pies would be No.1 in that period, as for Essendon I can't comment specifically.

Would Richmond have greater numbers in that regard over the last 20 years?

Why dont you?

I haven't looked back over 20 years of membership data, but over the past 6 years Essendon has never been higher than 4th on the amount of members in Victoria behind Collingwood, Hawthorn & Richmond.

I know the Pies would be No.1 in that period, as for Essendon I can't comment specifically.

Would Richmond have greater numbers in that regard over the last 20 years?

You have no evidence to support that I'm wrong, yet you call me the 'numb-nuts'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back