Anzac Day game irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

BobDay

Senior List
Feb 2, 2010
City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For about the last six or seven years the Anzac Day game has drifted into irrelevance. Collingwood and Essendon are bottom level teams and are ruining the occasion. The game was a shocker uncompetitive and boring.
(And we the follow-up with Carlton on Friday night.)
The game is propped up only by the hype generated by the media. And that hype is running dry.
It should be an iconic game played by the best teams.
I know this will probably never happen because of the vested interests.
But can you imagine how captivating good the occasion would be if Hawthorn and Geelong had been playing.

For about the last six or seven years the Anzac Day game has drifted into irrelevance. Collingwood and Essendon are bottom level teams and are ruining the occasion. The game was a shocker uncompetitive and boring.
The game is propped up only by the hype generated by the media. And that hype is running dry.
But can you imagine how captivating good the occasion would be if Hawthorn and Geelong had been playing.

Absolutely it is irrelevant. It’s just two low level team spoiling a great day.

And it is really just another home and away game after all and the winner only gets the 4 points.

I suppose it does give the 2 clubs a chance to pretend they are important ...

Well the AFL reward teams that turn up to these sort of matches with better fixtures

At a stab ANZAC Day is probably worth $4m to Collingwood every year, less to the Bombers as they don't have the Ponsford Stand deal the Pies do

On another note, has anyone noticed we play the Bombers at the MCG twice this year

Well to all of you who complain whenever we play them at Etihad and you can't get a ticket, if we get 70,000+ to both matches this year, we may never play Essendon at Etihad again

A grand final replay would be a just reward for the two teams from the previous year to have another go in front of a bumper crowd.

I honestly can't understand why Essendon have this privilige year after year after after the supplement saga.

A grand final replay would be a just reward for the two teams from the previous year to have another go in front of a bumper crowd.

I honestly can't understand why Essendon have this privilige year after year after after the supplement saga.

I would expect it's in the Channel 7 contract

Not the worst idea - but if interstate teams are involved it would be a nightmare having them travel on the short breaks for midweek ANZAC days such as this.

I have no qualms with this game as it is - it always pulls a crowd. I object to Essendon getting the Dreamtime at the G game in addition. Another team deserves a crack at that. We and Geelong get Easter Monday which is becoming an annual blockbuster. Another side should get a shot at the Dreamtime game with Richmond.

Not the worst idea - but if interstate teams are involved it would be a nightmare having them travel on the short breaks for midweek ANZAC days such as this.

I have no qualms with this game as it is - it always pulls a crowd. I object to Essendon getting the Dreamtime at the G game in addition. Another team deserves a crack at that. We and Geelong get Easter Monday which is becoming an annual blockbuster. Another side should get a shot at the Dreamtime game with Richmond.
Looks like AFL should have the motto; Do drugs, get priviliges.

I wouldn’t want hawthorn to play ANZAC day.
Pies & bombers had 12 & 10 day breaks before it, while both get only 4 day break after it.
Richmond will absolutely smash pies this week, while essendone are lucky that they play Melbourne. It’ll be the worst game of the year to watch with 2 complete s**t teams going at 1/2 pace
When that game starts i might put on the highlights package of St Kilda’s existence. It’ll be less painful to watch & so much shorter

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want hawthorn to play ANZAC day.
Pies & bombers had 12 & 10 day breaks before it, while both get only 4 day break after it.
Richmond will absolutely smash pies this week, while essendone are lucky that they play Melbourne. It’ll be the worst game of the year to watch with 2 complete s**t teams going at 1/2 pace
When that game starts i might put on the highlights package of St Kilda’s existence. It’ll be less painful to watch & so much shorter

Actually, it couldn't be a better time for us to take on the druggies; it will be their third game in 11 days.

On another note, has anyone noticed we play the Bombers at the MCG twice this year

Well to all of you who complain whenever we play them at Etihad and you can't get a ticket, if we get 70,000+ to both matches this year, we may never play Essendon at Etihad again
I reckon we've only lost to essendon twice at docklands: 2001 (when both teams were undefeated) and 2009 (rioli goal of the year/hawthorn annus horribilis). It's been a fortress for us but yeah, hope we never have to play them there again as I hate the place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think AFL are neglecting their ‘duty of care’ to ensure that players get enough recovery time in between games. However, maybe a hard one to prove that most injuries, if any, that occur in games after less than 6 days recovery time is due to fatigue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back