ANZAC Day Game: Two Best Vic Sides from Previous Year & other suggestions?

Should ANZAC Day be the two best Vic sides?

• Yep - lock it in Eddie

Votes: 80 29.5%
  • No - leave it as is you bonehead

Votes: 191 70.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bullshit

s**t like this is embarrassing, and is why rfc and hfc posters were banned one year from the membership thread

If what you say is true we should be getting 60k at every home game, even gc and gws - but we dont

I agree with you on your last statement.

I remember him saying it,I'm not lying.

Please calm down mate.

Where and when

Youre making an outrageous and inflamatory claim, you should be able to back it up of youre to be taken seriously

Thats just perception

They give a s**t about the pies vs dons on anzac day in wa, but victorians are incapable of caring about games outside their state?

I dont think we are that self obsessed

I think it is the only game outside of finals that People get together and either watch it closely or at the very least have it on. Of course the result is of no real importance to anyone other than the Pies and Dons supporters but it is still a game that is watched. It wouldn't matter who was playing the same outcome would occur on Anzac day in WA.

Youre making an outrageous and inflamatory claim, you should be able to back it up of youre to be taken seriously[/QUOTE]

Trying to find it now but he made a point of Collingwood fans to not turn up to the fixture when it is a Richmond home game.

I remember it otherwise I wouldn't bring it up.

Inflamatory claim lol.

Well I couldn't find anything but I remember him saying it,not lying mate and as for being a deluded fan just lol.
I know we have to work hard to get ahead of the Crows Gws Geelong and the Doggies.

Not exactly a major headline,Eddie just looking after his own club.

Youre making an outrageous and inflamatory claim, you should be able to back it up of youre to be taken seriously

Trying to find it now but he made a point of Collingwood fans to not turn up to the fixture when it is a Richmond home game.

I remember it otherwise I wouldn't bring it up.

Inflamatory claim lol.[/QUOTE]

It is

Youre accusing a club president of deliberately trying to financially hurt another club

If thats not inflammatory, not much else is

Well I couldn't find anything but I remember him saying it,not lying mate and as for being a deluded fan just lol.
I know we have to work hard to get ahead of the Crows Gws Geelong and the Doggies.

Not exactly a major headline,Eddie just looking after his own club.

Well if noone in the media reported eddie trying to harm another club, id suggest:

1) it never happened, and you misheard what was said

2) it was a joke, and youre the only person who took it seriously

It is

Youre accusing a club president of deliberately trying to financially hurt another club

If thats not inflammatory, not much else is[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't have brought it up if he didn't say it.

I remember it and I remember when the Richmond Collingwood games were our home games and the Ponsford would be half full but in Collingwoods home game it would be full.

I wouldn't have brought it up if he didn't say it.

I remember it and I remember when the Richmond Collingwood games were our home games and the Ponsford would be half full but in Collingwoods home game it would be full.

You may want to drink less at games

Pies pay a shitload for away game reserved seating. You think they pay that and then tell their members not to turn up?

I knoe you love player the uber rfc fan who thinks everyone is against richmond, but this is tin hat stuff

You may want to drink less at games

Pies pay a shitload for away game reserved seating. You think they pay that and then tell their members not to turn up?

I knoe you love player the uber rfc fan who thinks everyone is against richmond, but this is tin hat stuff

Had two pots at the game Monday night.

Sober as a judge.

They were before the game,had a little drink for the diggers.

I just don't like it being called the ANZAC game given Essendon and Collingwood were the 2 teams who did the most to stop their players from serving the country during WW1

Hey campaigner, got the stones to admit you were wrong?

Where did you get this load of rubbish from? Essendon didn't attempt to block any of their players enlisting, sat out of the competition for two years, took a stand against the VFL for not donating funds to the war effort and had more players give their life in WWI than any existing club (University far and away had the most).

Essendon players known to have made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country during the Boer War, First World War and Second World War.

Boer War

Private W. Charles Moore

World War One

Second Lieutenant Lewis G Blackmore

Private Phillip H Callan

Corporal Richard H Clough

Lieutenant Andrew C Fogarty

Bombardier James D Gordon

Captain William G Harvey MC

Captain Herbert H Hunter

Lieutenant Frederick R McIntosh

Lieutenant Charles H Morley

Private Leslie J Rogers

Lance Sergeant Gerald J Ryan

Lieutenant Bruce M F Sloss

Private John A Wood

World War Two

Private Godfrey R Goldin

Private Leonard A Johnson

Sergeant Jack Keddie

Trooper Norman S Le Brun

Flight Sergeant George F Regan

Private Archibald F Roberts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do have to question why Essendon had "poppies" on their sash. "In Australia, single poppies are not usually worn on ANZAC Day - the poppy belongs to Remembrance Day, 11 November.". While working out how to screw supporters with ticket prices they also got their days mixed up?
May i suggest Essendon wear a "Green" Sash in 2018 with "Rosemary". Traditionally, sprigs of rosemary are worn on Anzac Day, Rosemary has particular significance for Australians, as it is found growing wild on the Gallipoli peninsula.
Would it hurt Essendon to wear a green sash with sprigs of "Rosemary"? Or does the Bombers colour scheme come before the Anzac tradition?
upload_2017-4-26_12-59-18.jpeg

When it's the only game played on a public holiday then of course you are going to get a big attendance and TV audience.
No one owns Anzac Day and to suggest otherwise is disrespectful and Un-Australian.
Cue drug taking/silverspoon Essendon and bandwagon Collingwood supporters to shout me down...

When it's the only game played on a public holiday then of course you are going to get a big attendance and TV audience.
No one owns Anzac Day and to suggest otherwise is disrespectful and Un-Australian.
Cue drug taking/silverspoon Essendon and bandwagon Collingwood supporters to shout me down...
RSL own it, Sheedy took out a lease.

I do have to question why Essendon had "poppies" on their sash. "In Australia, single poppies are not usually worn on ANZAC Day - the poppy belongs to Remembrance Day, 11 November.". While working out how to screw supporters with ticket prices they also got their days mixed up?
May i suggest Essendon wear a "Green" Sash in 2018 with "Rosemary". Traditionally, sprigs of rosemary are worn on Anzac Day, Rosemary has particular significance for Australians, as it is found growing wild on the Gallipoli peninsula.
Would it hurt Essendon to wear a green sash with sprigs of "Rosemary"? Or does the Bombers colour scheme come before the Anzac tradition?

https://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/customs/poppies/

The Flanders poppy has long been a part of Remembrance Day, the ritual that marks the Armistice of 11 November 1918, and is also increasingly being used as part of Anzac Day observances.

The poppy has also become very popular in wreaths used on Anzac Day. An early instance took place in Palestine, where poppies grow abundantly in the spring. At the Dawn Service in 1940 each soldier dropped a poppy as he filed past the Stone of Remembrance. A senior Australian officer also a laid a wreath of poppies picked from the slopes of Mt Scopus.

How many would have attended yesterday if it was dogs vs hawks?

https://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/customs/poppies/

The Flanders poppy has long been a part of Remembrance Day, the ritual that marks the Armistice of 11 November 1918, and is also increasingly being used as part of Anzac Day observances.

The poppy has also become very popular in wreaths used on Anzac Day. An early instance took place in Palestine, where poppies grow abundantly in the spring. At the Dawn Service in 1940 each soldier dropped a poppy as he filed past the Stone of Remembrance. A senior Australian officer also a laid a wreath of poppies picked from the slopes of Mt Scopus.
Essendon are taking more than a little license with it, Rosemary from the slopes and ravines of the Anzac Cove are referred to as "Gallipoli Rosemary". The Bombers need to have a "green sash" next year!

Essendon are taking more than a little license with it, Rosemary from the slopes and ravines of the Anzac Cove are referred to as "Gallipoli Rosemary". The Bombers need to have a "green sash" next year!

take it to the bay son.

take it to the bay son.
I'm only stating what the Rosemary means on Anzac day and the Poppie for remembrance day? So my suggestion was Essendon wear a "green sash" with sprigs to commemorate the Gallipoli Rosemary. Depending on whose home game it is, perhaps Collingwood might consider it also?
Gallipoli Rosemary

In 1915 a wounded digger from Adelaide was repatriated to the Army Hospital at Keswick.

He brought back with him a small rosemary bush dug up from the slopes and ravines of the Anzac Cove and it was planted in the hospital grounds.

For decades small sprigs of the digger’s rosemary were worn to honour the fallen on Anzac and Armistice days and after the Repatriation Hospital was established during WW2 at Daw Park SA, cuttings were taken and it was grown into a hedge on the hospital grounds.

It's a relatively recent story. It’s being sold widely and part of the proceeds go to planting and restoring those magnificent avenues of trees that serve as wonderful memorials to all those servicemen and women who have lost their lives in war.

I'm not being flippant at all, we have "white away" strips, why not another variation for Anzac day?

I'm only stating what the Rosemary means on Anzac day and the Poppie for remembrance day? So my suggestion was Essendon wear a "green sash" with sprigs to commemorate the Gallipoli Rosemary. Depending on whose home game it is, perhaps Collingwood might consider it also?
Gallipoli Rosemary

In 1915 a wounded digger from Adelaide was repatriated to the Army Hospital at Keswick.

He brought back with him a small rosemary bush dug up from the slopes and ravines of the Anzac Cove and it was planted in the hospital grounds.

For decades small sprigs of the digger’s rosemary were worn to honour the fallen on Anzac and Armistice days and after the Repatriation Hospital was established during WW2 at Daw Park SA, cuttings were taken and it was grown into a hedge on the hospital grounds.

It's a relatively recent story. It’s being sold widely and part of the proceeds go to planting and restoring those magnificent avenues of trees that serve as wonderful memorials to all those servicemen and women who have lost their lives in war.

I'm not being flippant at all, we have "white away" strips, why not another variation for Anzac day?
But according to some on here ANZAC Day wouldn't be around anymore without what Collingwood and Essendon have done for this day. So of course its those clubs which should say what is and isn't appropriate on their day.

But according to some on here ANZAC Day wouldn't be around anymore without what Collingwood and Essendon have done for this day. So of course its those clubs which should say what is and isn't appropriate on their day.
I'm in full support of Essendon and Collingwood playing forever more on Anzac day, but i do not agree that they have all the say on how the day is commemorated!
Since when was it "their" day? Let's not get carried away here, Anzac day means a little bit more than Essendon and Collingwood surely? It is one of Australia's most important national occasions, not just football's.

Back