Discussion ANZAC Day - pilgrims to Wellington

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Well I've locked in my flights to Wellington for what promises to be a huge weekend. I thought I'd start a thread for any other BF Sainters who might be heading over too, so that we might be able to catch up & talk rubbish in person.

On another note, if anyone has made the trip in previous years & can provide some advice re: accommodation, good pubs, things to do, etc it would be greatly appreciated.

We're flying in Friday morning & leaving on the 6.45am on Monday. Wouldn't mind to take the golf sticks over too & have a wander around one of Wellington's finest.

Really excited to be heading over, I missed out on the Gallipoli ballot so it will be very special to be in a place like Wellington for the dawn service commemorating 100 years.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
We have our flights booked too. Taking my mum with us as well as the two of us. So looking forward to the trip, game and staying over for some time off on the South Island. Will add hotel etc, when that is booked as haven't done that yet.

I want to go, but it all depends on work and uni commitments.

Planning to fly in to Wellington on the Thursday and spend the Friday around that area. Saturday is pretty much sorted out already, Sunday would be a drive up to Auckland via the hobbit holes, and Monday and possibly Tuesday would be spent in Auckland. Probably pushing it all a bit, but we'll see how we go.

Floated it with the missus - got an emphatic, no. :(

But hey, she indulges my obsession in all things Saints in countless other ways, so I no complain...

Floated it with the missus - got an emphatic, no. :(

But hey, she indulges my obsession in all things Saints in countless other ways, so I no complain...
MMaybe you shouldn't have mentioned the saints and just talked about going to NZ for a small break.

Just paying off trips to Sri Lanka and Japan so have a ban on spending on wasteful things. I have to justify a family membership even though only two of us go to games these days also. NZ for footy is pushing it but I might see if I can work on it.

Well I've locked in my flights to Wellington for what promises to be a huge weekend. I thought I'd start a thread for any other BF Sainters who might be heading over too, so that we might be able to catch up & talk rubbish in person.

On another note, if anyone has made the trip in previous years & can provide some advice re: accommodation, good pubs, things to do, etc it would be greatly appreciated.

We're flying in Friday morning & leaving on the 6.45am on Monday. Wouldn't mind to take the golf sticks over too & have a wander around one of Wellington's finest.

Really excited to be heading over, I missed out on the Gallipoli ballot so it will be very special to be in a place like Wellington for the dawn service commemorating 100 years.
Last year I really enjoyed a three hour sail on the harbour.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Last year I really enjoyed a three hour sail on the harbour.

Tell us about a bit more about that one, By a Point. That sounds great

I've been to the previous two NZ games and had a great time in Wellington each time.

Cuba Street is a great place for pubs and restaurants but there are lots of places along the waterfront. I'd recommend a trip to Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa (http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/pages/home.aspx). Fantastic free museum/gallery with lots to interest for kids of all ages. The Earthquake house is fun, the giant squid is giant and you can even see Phar Lap's skeleton. Great way to kill an hour or three. Last year the Vixens were in Wellington and I got along to their game as well. Only the second time I'd been to a netball game.

I've stayed around the the Lambton Quay area which is more downtown than the Cuba Street district and is a 15-20 stroll to the Westpac Stadium. There is a long concourse from the Central Railway Station and there was plenty going on to promote the game, especially the first year. Look out for the posters all over town and last year there was even a bus with the promo shot covering the whole back.

The family day at The Basin Reserve on the Sunday was great as well. Fantastic access to the players and I think they were all there except Eli (for obvious reasons). And KiwiKick people doing a great job explaining the game to the local kids.

Plenty to do in Wellington, don't worry about that!

Forgot to say that last year Te Papa had a small case with Saints stuff in it last year. The NZ jumper and a footy, maybe a few other items. Hopefully they'll do something again this year.

Awesome thanks DCT!

I've booked accommodation in the CBD a block back from the Waterfront which sounds like a good spot.

Yep. Good spot! You can walk to the stadium and walk to Cuba St in the opposite direction and close to the Waterfront.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I'm organising my first overseas trip and I plan to be there for the game :)

Does anyone have any advice for someone who's never really travelled, let alone set foot out of the country?

Get a passport :)

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Does anyone have any advice for someone who's never really travelled, let alone set foot out of the country?
Don't stress. Enjoy it. I never understand people that get worked up when travelling, it's a bloody breeze. I've been to places in Central America where no English is heard and it was still so easy. Biggest advice tho, don't be afraid to ask locals questions on ANYTHING. 90% of them will be more than happy to help.

Get a passport :)

It's on its way!

Don't stress. Enjoy it. I never understand people that get worked up when travelling, it's a bloody breeze. I've been to places in Central America where no English is heard and it was still so easy. Biggest advice tho, don't be afraid to ask locals questions on ANYTHING. 90% of them will be more than happy to help.

I'm trying, it's just the more I think about it, the more there is to organise. But I'm a stress head at the best of times so there's not much hope for me. Once I've got everything booked and locked in I'll be right I think.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's on its way!

I'm trying, it's just the more I think about it, the more there is to organise. But I'm a stress head at the best of times so there's not much hope for me. Once I've got everything booked and locked in I'll be right I think.
It can actually work the other way too, sometimes the less you organise the easier it is. There are a lot of variables when you're away so you want some flexibility too. But as I said, just relax and go with whatever ever happens and you'll be sweet.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
It's on its way!

Up to the individual of course, but I love to read a lot about a country, place, people etc before I go, as feel that it often gives me a better understanding and appreciation of the place. But the beauty of travelling is of course, the unplanned moments, the special things that you got to see or do, because you had the get up and go, to be there at that moment. Be open to it all. You will have a ball and start a life long love of exploration.

Good idea. I just planned how long I spend in each city and figure out what to do when I get there. Do a little bit of research before I go but nothing planned.

Thinking of starting Japanese lessons and going back though. Felt like you miss out on bits and pieces/different experience.

Good advice from Sunshine Saint and Joop. NZ is one of the easier places for Aussies to travel to so it will be a good introduction to international travel for you. There's a Visitor Information Centre at car Victoria & Wakefield Streets. They can help you with maps, brochures and any specific questions you have. Here's the website so you can do a bit of homework before you go if you want. http://www.wellingtonnz.com/discover/visitor-information/

No need to stress. Wellington is a city with taxis, buses, trains, a waterfront, they drive on the left, speak English and the weekend you're going they're going to celebrate ANZAC Day and have a footy match so its really not that different from Melbourne. Except it is!

If you feel lost they'll be plenty of red, white and black (and navy blue, oh well) in the streets so a quick 'Go Sainters!' will break the ice.

My final piece of advice is there are really only three things to worry about when you travel ...

Money, Ticket, Passport

So long as you have those three things you can get to Wellington and back and buy anything you need while you are there.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Happy to give you a helping hand if needed buddy. PM me your flight details if you like...my mate & I fly out on Jetstar at 12.45am on Fri morning & head home on the 6.45am Monday Jetstar flight.

Traveling is one of the best things in life & Im lucky enough to have done heaps in my 20's & early 30's.

Get everything booked in & then sit back & enjoy the experience!

Thanks for the support guys, making me feel a bit better about it all. I'm a bit of a homebody so it's a bit out of my comfort zone, that's all.

Once we sort out which days we're leaving and returning I'll post em up - maybe we can meet up at and after the footy for a few cold ones :)

Also, has any open training been scheduled over there yet? Would like to include that in my travel plans.

Back