royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rotor Volgograd, The Exers
I tried this on the main board last year but it got locked because the ideologues went a bit nuts.

But given ANZAC day is approaching is there any chance we can get a list of footballers from all the leagues who gave their lives in World War 1, 2 etc.

There's been a list of VFL players which has been done as well as WAFL players but what about the SANFL, the VFA etc.

PS can we keep the trolls to a minimum for while I respect the right of the ideologues to post their views, this is supposed to be a history thread not a philosophy thread.

First possible player - Thomas McCluskey

Ex Carlton, Fitzroy and then Footscray player and recognised as the Best Back player for a couple of years in the VFA - according the report in the Shepparton Advertiser 25 October 1917 at page 3). Captain coach of Yarraville in 1916.

Killed in action 4 October 1917.

Confirmed due to him being an ex VFL player.

LWF

Last edited:
Second possible player - Bert O'Connell

Ex St Kilda and Footscray player in 1910 to 1911 who was a skilled artist.

The Advertiser of 22 December 1917 at page 3.

Confirmed due to being an ex VFL player.

LWF.

Last edited:

Third possible player - W J Wally White

Captained Footscray Football Club and cricket club.

The Advertiser 2 September 1916

Walter James White died on 19 July 1916

LWF.

Last edited:
First likely player- John Heber Johnson - North Melbourne - Lieutenant Johnson died on 2 May 1918.

In the Colac Herald of 27 May 1918 at page 3, a Lieutenant Johnson who played brilliant football for NM " a few years ago" had been killed in action and players were wearing black armbands.

LWF

Port Melbourne wore black armbands in respect of 3 of their former players who were killed in action - E Harris, J Mackie and A Tregowan ( 7 June 1917 edition of the Essendon Gazette - page 1).

LWF

I think you could actually go back to the Boer war,

Walter Charles "Charlie" Moore (24 September 1875 – 12 May 1901) was an Australian rules footballer who played for Essendon Football Club in the Victorian Football League (VFL), and who also served as a trooper in the Anglo-Boer War.
He was the first Fijian-born player in the VFL/AFL.
Walter Moore was the
first VFL player to die in active service in any war.

His mother was the aunt of Roy Cazaly;[4] making Moore Cazaly's cousin. His eldest sister, Edith (1868–1907), was married to Sir Francis Pratt Winter (1848–1919).
Moore married Rose Alice Walters (1872–1924) on 9 May 1898 at
Fitzroy, Victoria;[5] they had one child, George Clarence Leonard Moore (1898–1967), born in Collingwood on 8 November 1898.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Moore_(Australian_rules_footballer)

This is an area I'm interested in getting to the bottom of. I suspect there are a number of VFA players who have been lost in time.

By the way, on the NM Board someone has confirmed that J Johnson was indeed a NM player and, a premiership player at that.

WW2
See http://boylesfootballphotos.net.au/...e_+Footballers+who+died+on+Active+Service+WW2

I only have a few VFA names
  • G Robertson - Brighton
  • H Hunt - Brighton
  • D Eccles - Camberwell
  • K Keck - Camberwell
  • N Prest - Camberwell
  • L La Franchi - Coburg
  • T French - Coburg
  • T Bretherton - Northcote
  • F Thorn - Northcote
  • W Heintz - Oakleigh
  • Jack Munn - Williamstown
  • Roy Lette - Prahran
I am sure there will be other names.

also WA - http://www.wafootball.com.au/resources/47/history/ - Players Killed in the Line of Duty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back