ANZAC game should be a Grand Final rematch.

Remove this Banner Ad

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
Something rare that the SANFL do right is having a Grand Final rematch for ANZAC day. It is always a high quality game and is earned by the best teams.

Every club should have the possibility to commemorate those who they lost in conflict during ANZAC day. Additionally, every returned serviceman should have the possiblity to watch their team play on the day.

If this system was in place for the last 10 years 8 games would have been played in Melbourne with the remaining two in Sydney and Perth.

The so called tradition is arbitrary. In 1995 Collingwood and Essendon played their first ever ANZAC Day clash. The first VFL ANZAC Day matches were held in 1960 (correct me if I am wrong) with Melbourne defeating St Kilda and Fitzroy defeating Carlton. In the SANFL the first ANZAC Day match was held in 1949 with West Torrens defeating Sturt at Adelaide Oval. ANZAC Day matches were a common fixture shared around the VFL/AFL until 1995.

Also, I'm not sure if the 'APIA Insurance Good Times Band' singing 'good times' is the right way to commemorate the loss of people from war.

Last edited:
Something rare that the SANFL do right is a Grand Final rematch for ANZAC day. Always a good game and it is shared around.

Every club should have the opportunity to commemorate those who they lost in conflict.

Also, I'm not sure if the 'APIA Insurance Good Times Band' singing 'good times' is the right way to commemorate the loss of people from war.
How did the Hawks V Eagles go a few weeks ago?

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was excellent. I enjoyed it very much. Thank you for asking.
STFU Donnie :mad:

I know it comes up every year, I know it's unlikely to happen, but it's not a bad idea. The Anzac game should be a blockbuster and that's not a guarantee if the same two teams play every year. Sure, it will piss off those two clubs to lose what they started, but ask North Melbourne fans about Friday night footy.

STFU Donnie :mad:

I know it comes up every year, I know it's unlikely to happen, but it's not a bad idea. The Anzac game should be a blockbuster and that's not a guarantee if the same two teams play every year. Sure, it will piss off those two clubs to lose what they started, but ask North Melbourne fans about Friday night footy.
Other clubs played on ANZAC day before Collingwood and Essendon.

Top 2 vic teams Anzac Day, top 2 non-vic teams Anzac eve.

Do many neutrals attend these games? I would assume the bulk of the crowd would be Pies and Bombers supporters.

Would an interstate Grand Final rematch bring in the neutrals? Would it even make sense for 2 interstate teams to play at the MCG outside of the Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back