Multiplat AO Tennis

Remove this Banner Ad

Wife has just messaged me that she has me a copy. Will give it a crack tonight after work. These new vids definitely show improved gameplay. Fingers crossed we have a decent game here gents.

Are people just not using the topspin button or are Nadal's animations just bad? Every forehand is flat as anything.

I would say it is a little bit of both.

Big Ant have stated that they will be fixing some of the animations for forehands in the next two weeks via patch but would wager that users are just pressing X/A and hitting a flat shot.

Re: depth perception- surely there’s an option to turn on a ball marker or something. I still play tennis Elbow using one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not buy on an original Xbox One. It hurts my eyes, looks awful with tearing and seems under 30 FPS.

Dumb question- but EB still have their 7 day refund policy don’t they?

First Impressions
  • You move in sludge. The reason why the AI hits it straight back is because you wouldn't get near it if they hit it properly. There is no sprinting, no sliding, and it's impossible to shuffle forwards or backwards. When you follow through into the court hitting a shot it's near impossible to get back behind the baseline.
  • The Net. I can execute the apparent controls to rush the net, but nothing happens. There is no net animation at all, or no movement, so you just stand still at mid-court. The entire net mechanics of this game may as well have been made by Trickstar Games. This also means that all doubles modes are broken.
  • Timing is unintuitive. I have no idea what governs what is green/red, no matter what I experiment with. Not that it seems to make a difference, I hit more red winners than green. There doesn't seem to be enough time to achieve green timing when standing inside the baseline. I've been able to consistently green standing on/behind the Melbourne logo, allowing actual rallies to be played.
  • Returning serve. No idea what they want me to do here, no matter what I try I just stab it into the net. The solution is to run backwards as far as you can before the serve to have time to move forward when you play the shot.
  • Serving. Nice, congrats.
  • Graphics. Xbone original graphics are dreadful. The court lines flicker constantly, low FPS.
  • Court Surfaces. No discernable differences between surfaces. Drop shots bounce like the ball has been deflated.
  • Licenses. Pathetic and barely animated.
  • Atmosphere. None.
  • Aiming dot. I saw this in other gameplay but it's nowhere to be seen for me.
  • Career mode. The ole' Big Ant special edition "Pay us for the game now but the career mode won't be ready to play for 6 months" type deal. Not even going to bother with 3 licensed players, it could be gamemode of the year but I doubt it.
The game is most playable standing 2 metres behind the baseline so you have time for sludge mcgee to wade his way to the ball and enough time to power the shot. Opposite to real tennis, pushing your opponent back and standing inside the court doesn't indicate baseline dominance and create winners, it just makes it more likely that you'll start hitting weird one-handed half volleys.

Here's a clip of the game tanking so hard it wouldn't let me serve, then handing Anderson the point when I am fairly sure it should have been a fault.

Here's an actual decent rally once I worked out how far back I needed to stand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missus got the game. My experience so far - its depressing to play. It doesn't even have a stadium creator. This alone is a dealbreaker for me. I haven't been able to sit through and play out a set yet. The AI doesnt seem to have any concept of how to play out a point. It just randomly hits, if anything, it hits it straight back to you to keep a rally going.

I'm yet to see any evidence of how it is any better than this game, which I paid $15 for about 4 years ago, and have put in thousands of hours into:

Tennis Elbow:
- better animations
- more actual players, with a huge roster.
- all the courts of every tournament, including back courts, albeit in 2D
- actual calendar of tournaments
- amazing online (used to be anyway - they had a massive tour you could join).
- better sounds and commentary
- amazing gameplay
- surfaces influence play
- awesome career mode with player improvement and natural regression as you get older.

Its sad and unfair that Big Ant will be making money from this, when there are amateurs out there that do a better job from making a game in their spare time.

Last edited:
I feel sick playing this now. The sound of ball on racket - how could they not get this right even? Sounds like squash.

From what I’ve seen on this thread it’s been pretty negative. I was persuaded to buy this morning because of the recent patch applied. I was shocked to see only a handful of players were scanned in. Big Ant didn’t have to rush this game and I hope most people will agree. I’m a huge fan of their recent Ashes Cricket game that I think is the best of its kind. Big Ant are definitely able to produce a masterpiece but I think time restrictions stopped them. This is shown due to the lack of trailers and gameplay etc. Hopefully after some community based feedback updates this game will turn out to be the game we all hoped for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back