APC Media Watchdog rules in favour of Eagles re: Herald Sun's pre 2015 AFL GF Trash Journalism

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing on afl and herald sun. Nothing story apparently.

Nah, they did.

They are such campaigner head dickfaced goons that they have to push their own agenda.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...g/news-story/593a3af133bafe907e3c27608bc84dfa
Are we really surprised they can't even admit they made a mistake? They're a pretty poor excuse for news paper.

There is no justification for holding onto the news until 2 days before the GF. It was about something that allegedly happened 10 years ago. I've never seen them treat another Grand Final club this badly by running a disparaging article old dirty laundry before a grand final appearance.

This is the Herald Sun response.

ON October 1 last year, the Herald Sun published Daniel Chick’s story.

It was the first time the premiership star had spoken about his time at the West Coast Eagles, a club then gripped by a rampant drug culture.

It is accepted that a drug-soaked environment descended on the Eagles in the mid-2000s that left several players, including Chick, shattered men.

Chick, a courageous Eagle credited with helping win the 2006 premiership, confronted his own demons to tell his version of events to the Herald Sun.

It was an important story and one he had waited almost a decade to tell.

We worked with Chick for almost a year in preparing the front page report.

Chick lifted the lid on the team’s toxic culture of abuse of prescription and illicit drugs and cover-ups. It was devastating stuff.

It was in the public interest to expose how football clubs, charged with raising young men, can in fact let those very same young men down.

The Herald Sun made the decision not to approach the Eagles for comment before publication based on the concern the club, or those associated with it, would intimidate Chick for speaking or even race to court and launch legal action in an attempt to silence Chick and the Herald Sun.

The West Coast Eagles, and many of their past and current leaders, had told their version of events many times. Now it was Chick’s turn.

This powerful sporting club didn’t like its version of events being challenged by Chick.

It lodged, as it was entitled to, a complaint against the Herald Sun with the Australian Press Council.

The APC has now delivered its verdict; it’s found that the Herald Sun breached its principles by not seeking comment from the Eagles before publication and its conclusion makes it clear that the “timing and the prominence” of the report contributed to this finding.

We published the front page report two days before the 2015 Grand Final, in which the Eagles played Hawthorn.

In the Herald Sun’s view the Press Council has erred in its findings.

As we’ve explained above, the club and most of the key players had told their story.

Chick was entitled to tell his story both how and when he wanted to.

The Press Council’s inclusion of the timing of our report in its findings suggests this is a classic case of mission creep by a regulator.

This is transparently absurd and an example of the watchdog stepping outside its remit.

In our view, there was a never a more relevant time to break the story than two days before the club played in the biggest game of the year.

It begs the question; does the council believe stories critical of political parties should not run close to an election?

The Herald Sun disagrees with the Australian Press Council and believes it has overreached with its finding.

News can sometimes make for uncomfortable reading.

It’s timing can be awkward.

But none of this means a free media should be censured because a report — both accurate and in the public interest — upset a sporting club before a game, even if it is the Grand Final.

HS can suck my taint

If they're gonna play the freedom of speech card, maybe someone should get onto them about encouraging the delusions of a clearly mentally disturbed individual

So they run the judgement as ordered

Then right next it to run a rebuttal

And all week we've been arguing over a bad joke and what that represents when the reality is that our media has become a joke with zero ethics

Are we really surprised they can't even admit they made a mistake? They're a pretty poor excuse for news paper.

There is no justification for holding onto the news until 2 days before the GF. It was about something that allegedly happened 10 years ago. I've never seen them treat another Grand Final club this badly by running a disparaging article old dirty laundry before a grand final appearance.
You do know that the female journalist who wrote that article bleeds for the wees and poos!! I couldn't help myself but sent her an email at the time (I was in Melbourne for the GF) saying how unprofessional she was writing an article like that on the eve of the GF. She probably didn't even bother reading it, but it made me feel better as it made me so angry at the time:mad:

It was the first time the premiership star had spoken about his time at the West Coast Eagles, a club then gripped by a rampant drug culture.

It is accepted that a drug-soaked environment descended on the Eagles in the mid-2000s that left several players, including Chick, shattered men.

Chick, a courageous Eagle credited with helping win the 2006 premiership, confronted his own demons to tell his version of events to the Herald Sun.

Chick lifted the lid on the team’s toxic culture of abuse of prescription and illicit drugs and cover-ups. It was devastating stuff.

It was in the public interest to expose how football clubs, charged with raising young men, can in fact let those very same young men down.

The Herald Sun made the decision not to approach the Eagles for comment before publication based on the concern the club, or those associated with it, would intimidate Chick for speaking or even race to court and launch legal action in an attempt to silence Chick and the Herald Sun.

The West Coast Eagles, and many of their past and current leaders, had told their version of events many times. Now it was Chick’s turn.

This powerful sporting club didn’t like its version of events being challenged by Chick.

It lodged, as it was entitled to, a complaint against the Herald Sun with the Australian Press Council.

The APC has now delivered its verdict; it’s found that the Herald Sun breached its principles by not seeking comment from the Eagles before publication and its conclusion makes it clear that the “timing and the prominence” of the report contributed to this finding.

We published the front page report two days before the 2015 Grand Final, in which the Eagles played Hawthorn.

As we’ve explained above, the club and most of the key players had told their story.

The Press Council’s inclusion of the timing of our report in its findings suggests this is a classic case of mission creep by a regulator.

This is transparently absurd and an example of the watchdog stepping outside its remit.

In our view, there was a never a more relevant time to break the story than two days before the club played in the biggest game of the year.

It begs the question; does the council believe stories critical of political parties should not run close to an election?

The Herald Sun disagrees with the Australian Press Council and believes it has overreached with its finding.

But none of this means a free media should be censured because a report — both accurate and in the public interest — upset a sporting club before a game, even if it is the Grand Final.

So I guess the @Herald Sun wont care if I spam their Facebook with this before every news/toilet paper they issue.

upload_2016-6-23_23-41-30.jpeg

You do know that the female journalist who wrote that article bleeds for the wees and poos!! I couldn't help myself but sent her an email at the time (I was in Melbourne for the GF) saying how unprofessional she was writing an article like that on the eve of the GF. She probably didn't even bother reading it, but it made me feel better as it made me so angry at the time:mad:

She probably blocked your email. That's her standard response to criticism on Twitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really pleased the Club took a stance in the Public Domain to hold poor journalism to account.

Never a more relevant time to publish. Can't wait for the tell all article 2 days before Essendon play in their next GF.
As if.

It is timing can be awkward

Problem is that now we will be a target by HS. That's what media outlets do. If u piss them off they work to make you the bad guy by constantly using language which sound like facts. As bomber Thompson said to robbo, u guys r just too powerful.

Problem is that now we will be a target by HS. That's what media outlets do. If u piss them off they work to make you the bad guy by constantly using language which sound like facts. As bomber Thompson said to robbo, u guys r just too powerful.
Like we haven't been already ?

We've always been a target of the Eastern States media . It's not as if the Hawks' injunction has resulted in them being a target ...so it's not as if pissing them off is related to anything a team does (it's just a matter of individual biases within that organization ).
Meh haha

Well clearly it matters as why would we have taken action?
I just think there's bigger things to worry about than what a trash newspaper prints about us years after the event.

Good on the club for the statement regarding what happened, now let's move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back