Movie Apocalypse movies (and TV) for these troubling times

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

******* tough movie to watch. Bleak, even worse than Schindler's List.

Rhona Mitra

1585976599934.png

Larry Hagman's first role.

1585976696674.png

Charlton Heston had a good run for a few years in the late 60s / early 70s

1585976791785.png

1585976831788.png

1585977751850.png

World War Z. Shares it's name with a book and that's where the similarities end, a pretty good movie none the less.

******* tough movie to watch. Bleak, even worse than Schindler's List.

Rhona Mitra

View attachment 852231

Larry Hagman's first role.

View attachment 852233

Charlton Heston had a good run for a few years in the late 60s / early 70s

View attachment 852235

View attachment 852236

View attachment 852242

At the time (1964) it was unusual to see two very different films coming out at the same time covering the same storyline - an unauthorised nuclear strike by the US on the USSR. Sidney Lumet's Fail Safe played it dead straight while Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) played it for laughs, with Peter Sellers unbelievably good playing three roles. His phone conversation with the Soviet Premier is fantastic.

Both are excellent pictures.

Also, on a similar theme was 1965's The Bedford Incident, starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier.

At the time (1964) it was unusual to see two very different films coming out at the same time covering the same storyline - an unauthorised nuclear strike by the US on the USSR. Sidney Lumet's Fail Safe played it dead straight while Stanley Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb) played it for laughs, with Peter Sellers unbelievably good playing three roles. His phone conversation with the Soviet Premier is fantastic.

Both are excellent pictures.

Also, on a similar theme was 1965's The Bedford Incident, starring Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier.

One thing I remember about Fail Safe is Walter Mathau playing a straight role as an intellectual who likes a drink and to slap his women aroud.

Burt Lancaster - 1977 - Twilight's Last Gleaming. He's an AF general who takes over a missile silo and threatens WWIII.

1585990951763.png

By Dawn's Early Light - Powers Boothe, Rebecca De Mornay, James Earl Jones and Martin Landau

1585990884531.png

One thing I remember about Fail Safe is Walter Mathau playing a straight role as an intellectual who likes a drink and to slap his women aroud.

Burt Lancaster - 1977 - Twilight's Last Gleaming. He's an AF general who takes over a missile silo and threatens WWIII.

View attachment 852377

By Dawn's Early Light - Powers Boothe, Rebecca De Mornay, James Earl Jones and Martin Landau

View attachment 852376

James Earl Jones was in Dr. Strangelove too. He was one of the crew of Slim Pickens' rogue B-52, but I'm not sure you ever see his face - he's wearing his helmet and oxygen mask. But there's no mistaking that voice.

Powers Boothe, Rebecca De Mornay, James Earl Jones and Martin Landau. One of these doesn't really belong among the others.

There is an alternative end scene that if you see it will break your spirit and will to live as a human being its that depressing.

I started watching it again a couple of months ago. I should really go back to it and watch it again from the beginning. Not sure I could stomach a shitful ending.

I started watching it again a couple of months ago. I should really go back to it and watch it again from the beginning. Not sure I could stomach a shitful ending.

You may recall (lol if IIRC) the end scene involves Guy Pearce.

I might watch it too again, good movie but you need to be in a positive frame of mind. Not the kind of movie to watch if youre already feeling down.

View attachment 852377

View attachment 852376

Landau was President. Boothe and De Mornay lovers and bomber pilots together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back