Movie Apocalypse Now

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Just saw this movie for the first time tonight. Was good :thumbsu: The ending is a little strange perhaps; certainly the last 20 minutes has a different feel to the rest of the film.

As as aside, having only previous seen Martin Sheen play roles where he's an overweight older man it was rather bizarre to see him young and buffed up :p

Discuss if you want.

Magpiespower

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 16, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Coppola's last hurrah!

Mind you, he had an extraordinary run in the 70s.

Actually prefer the four hour Redux...

CF

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning"......classic movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crosby87

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 8, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
One of my favourites.

If you read Heart of Darkness, the ending makes a little bit more sense - although it's obviously different, also.

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
One of the great epics. I've loved it since my Dad took me to see the Redux re-release at the cinema around 10 years ago. I have it on DVD now, and I don't understand why a lot of people prefer the original shorter version (which I did track down once, out of curiosity). The extra footage just makes it even richer and fuller IMO.

Sometimes I just watch from when Willard and Co. arrive at the Kurtz compound to the end, because that's among my favourite 20-30 minutes in film.

rodda

Senior List
Oct 4, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
great film.

I like the Redux too, although its nasty when you start watching it at 1am or so.

Agree with OP about Sheen :)

Crash Davis

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
first saw this around a year ago after years of hearing the hype and thinking i was missing out.
have to say i was disappointed. it was a confusing movie to me and probably not the type i'd usually go for although i did enjoy duvall's performance, brando just seemed like a freak and watching martin sheen almost made me have heart problems (as i understand he did during the making and almost died)
also the male nude scenes made me uncomfortable too :confused: there should be an official "wang warning" so blokes know when to fast forward or skip a scene :rolleyes:

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
Great movie. Caught the madness of Vietnam. Lots of drama off the set as well, Sheen suffered a heart attack, Coppola nearly had a breakdown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Dolphins-Hurricanes-Terps
It's also interesting to watch a screen adaption of the actual novel Heart of Darkness.
And how much it compares to Apocalypse Now.
Made in 1993, starring John Malkovich.

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
One of my top several favourite films since my teen years. When I was in Year 11 I did part of my inner journey assignment in English class on this.

I always preferred the original cut, as it just has less off-river diversions and keeps the hypnotic intensity more intact. Don't mind Redux, still great in its own right, but Original Cut is the ideal. Might catch up with Final Cut someday, but in no rush.

Heart of Darkness is a great novel, read it a couple times over the years (I've always enjoyed Conrad, especially Nostromo).

GG.exe

Post-Human
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ravens-Dolphins-Hurricanes-Terps
piratebay or limetorrent site, non-Aussie vpn to bypass the blocking of said pages and services by australian ISPs, search for Apocalypse Now Final Cut. Click Download Magnet File, which opens ones torrent download program (Vuze i use), and then it downloads.

Top Bottom