Remove this Banner Ad

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
Just saw this movie for the first time tonight. Was good :thumbsu: The ending is a little strange perhaps; certainly the last 20 minutes has a different feel to the rest of the film.

As as aside, having only previous seen Martin Sheen play roles where he's an overweight older man it was rather bizarre to see him young and buffed up :p

Discuss if you want.

Coppola's last hurrah!

Mind you, he had an extraordinary run in the 70s.

Actually prefer the four hour Redux...

One of the great epics. I've loved it since my Dad took me to see the Redux re-release at the cinema around 10 years ago. I have it on DVD now, and I don't understand why a lot of people prefer the original shorter version (which I did track down once, out of curiosity). The extra footage just makes it even richer and fuller IMO.

Sometimes I just watch from when Willard and Co. arrive at the Kurtz compound to the end, because that's among my favourite 20-30 minutes in film.

great film.

I like the Redux too, although its nasty when you start watching it at 1am or so.

Agree with OP about Sheen :)

first saw this around a year ago after years of hearing the hype and thinking i was missing out.
have to say i was disappointed. it was a confusing movie to me and probably not the type i'd usually go for although i did enjoy duvall's performance, brando just seemed like a freak and watching martin sheen almost made me have heart problems (as i understand he did during the making and almost died)
also the male nude scenes made me uncomfortable too :confused: there should be an official "wang warning" so blokes know when to fast forward or skip a scene :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my top several favourite films since my teen years. When I was in Year 11 I did part of my inner journey assignment in English class on this.

I always preferred the original cut, as it just has less off-river diversions and keeps the hypnotic intensity more intact. Don't mind Redux, still great in its own right, but Original Cut is the ideal. Might catch up with Final Cut someday, but in no rush.

Heart of Darkness is a great novel, read it a couple times over the years (I've always enjoyed Conrad, especially Nostromo).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back