Updated Appeal Dismissed - Truth of Rayney murder mystery to come to light..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
Lloyd Rayney has entered a plea of not guilty of murdering his wife Corryn, within minutes of a Supreme Court trial commencing this morning.
Mr Rayney arrived at court about 9.30am, flanked by his daughters, Caitlyn and Sarah.
Mr Rayney, a barrister and former DPP prosecutor, is accused of murdering his wife in August 2007.
Advertisement
He has maintained his innocence since being named the "prime and only suspect" in his wife's murder.
Read more:

Further readning/links;
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...l-of-the-century/story-e6frg13u-1226426881342
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...over-wifes-death/story-e6frg6nf-1226427175350
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ot-guilty-at-murder-trial-20120716-225ll.html

Not quite sure what to think of this case? The accused seems to have an alibi but the police said they aren't investigating anyone else.

Lloyd Rayney appears to have the support of his daughters. Surely if they thought their father murdered their mother they wouldn't stand by him, you'd think.
It doesn't all add up, that's for sure. With his legal background Rayney certainly knows how to play the court case game.

I was getting it already just this morning. ABC radio were doing live crosses just to report people turning up an hour or two before the start time.

Anecdotally, I hear the evidence is pretty damning.
I heard WAPOL and the WA Office of the DPP can be completely trusted to present accurate, non doctored and reliable evidence, without coercing or leading witnesses, nor withholding crucial contradictory evidence from the defence, said no sane person ever.

Strange about the death of his wife considering the work he was doing, where the body was found, how the investigation has unfolded and the response of the local legal fraternity and his daughters......

Lloyd Rayney appears to have the support of his daughters. Surely if they thought their father murdered their mother they wouldn't stand by him, you'd think.
It doesn't all add up, that's for sure.
Depends on what sort of relationship the daughters had with their mother. Very weird case this one will be interested to see what the actual evidence is.

I heard WAPOL and the WA Office of the DPP can be completely trusted to present accurate, non doctored and reliable evidence, without coercing or leading witnesses, nor withholding crucial contradictory evidence from the defence, said no sane person ever.

I hear ya.

Of all the State prosecutors, and all the State police forces, they are by far and away the worst.

I never understood how someone gets bail when they've been charged with murder..

It's about how dangerous it is for him to be in public.

Given he's alleged to have murdered his wife due to the breakdown in his marriage, nothing indicates that he is going to murder anyone else.

I guess the glaring question is, if Lloyd did not murder her who did. Was there anyone else angry wnough with her to kill her?

If it was a random killing or robbery gone wrong surely the police wouldn't have been able to determine that from crime scene clues. The fact they and the QC have their radar firmly locked on Lloyd Rayney is interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the glaring question is, if Lloyd did not murder her who did. Was there anyone else angry wnough with her to kill her?

If it was a random killing or robbery gone wrong surely the police wouldn't have been able to determine that from crime scene clues. The fact they and the QC have their radar firmly locked on Lloyd Rayney is interesting.
Do you know anything about the work Rayney was involved in? Representing a police officer to the Corruption and Crime Commission who was alleged to be involved in/have knowledge of the Andrew Mallard case.

After a brief period one of the first things the police did was raid the family house seizing all documents, his personal computer etc. etc. from his study at home, then publicly name him the sole suspect.

This seems to follow are rather similar pattern of name, shame and convict in the court of public opinion, that has been a big part of a number of high profile WA investigations. What I find interesting is the supposed surety of WAPOL yet the length of time and the unusual process the case has taken to get to court.

I once heard an interesting story about how a well known Perth underworld figure made the mistake of a little to publicly discussing aspects of Loyd Rayney's work and what happened to his wife and why. This was before police named Rayney the sole suspect. The individual was subsequently picked up by police and "interrogated" rather forcefully for a number of hours before being released without charge.

Anecdotally, I hear the evidence is pretty damning.
This will be one of those stories where they will either find him guilty and there will be no doubt.
If he is found not guilty it will not mean he is innocent , it will simply mean it cannot be proven positively and he will have to be released to get on with his life . But no one will ever know.
I suspect that this will happen. But I am not so sure of his innocents, so we,ll see.

I'm interested in hearing details of his shady deals with big clients, including Hancock Prospecting. Will Gina be called as a witness?

the more that comes out from this trial, the more he looks guilty.

His defence will rely on disputing evidence and reasonable doubt, that much is clear. The fact that noone with any motive other than her husband can be found is pretty damning, and i'm expecting the defence to try the "plan B" type defence where they accuse someone else of the murder.

going to be an interesting couple of months

Yep, not looking good for him so far.

Interesting that the trial was by judge alone. I wish there were more of those.

Not guilty it is. Always difficult for a purely circumstantial case.

well there you go.

We must accept the judge's decision, but I expect the thread will now go to 80 pages of wild speculation and rumour.

His reputation and career are still shot, so he hasn't escaped consequences for his actions. They just couldn't meet the very high standard required. Awful for the family, but apparently it will remain a mystery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back