Remove this Banner Ad

Bengineer

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
I accept most people probably don't care (on the basis I've not really seen or heard it be discussed before), but I find players appealing to umpires to be a rapidly growing stain on the game. I can't stand it.

The outstretched arms, the "Chris Scott-esque" looks of disbelief and the mouthing off. It is not a good spectacle.

I'm not the biggest Rugby fan but I really respect how the referees are almost "ignored" in that game. It's as though they are robots that communicate information to the players but cannot be communicated to, remonstrated with or influenced in any way.

I think that's how it should be. It is football after all, not cricket.

Anyone else with me on this?

Last edited:
I guess we are more aligned with soccer on this:

That is ******* awesome.

I would think the way Rugby umpires are treated comes from the fact the sport is traditionally an utpperclass sport. The umpires would have been school masters or respected members of the community and thus demanded respect from the start. This has then flowed through over the years.

Its not a good look. Necessary in cricket, the rules require it. Just looks like poor sportsmanship in footy.

And as a coach I'd probably be annoyed at players that do while the ball is still live. That is, unless clubs have done their homework and statistics suggest that it actually does result in the occasional extra free kick.

Joel Selwood after the loss to St Kilda was the height of horrific salty sooking at umpires. It might just be his face stuck in a permanent salty expression though.

Anyhow, he did a bit more sooking at umpire decisions on Friday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back