Health Appendicitis

Remove this Banner Ad

I had severe abdominal pain which started about 9pm on 23 December and got worse throughout the night.

By 7am Christmas Eve I considered it a serous possibility that I had appendicitis. I hardly slept, sweated all night but had not been vomitting or diarrhoea. The lack of the later two seemed to discount gastro.

I called Mum and asked if she could take me to the Dr and she picked me up half an hour later. On arrival we were told I would see the first available Dr, given it was a suspected emergency and only had to wait 10-15mins.

The Dr agreed that I could be appendicitis and referred me immediately to hospital A &E.

I was seen by a triage nurse on arrival and admitted in to emergency. I was then seen by a Dr and a gastric surgeon, both who thought there was a good chance it could be appendicitis and organised for bloods and a CT scan to be done.

The bloods showed an infection present and the CT scan an inflamed appendix. Appendectomy scheduled for 4pm.

Operation went well from all accords but I woke up in Intensive Care as due to my Obstrutive Sleep Aponea, with a mix of they anaesthesia and OSA, I stopped breathing too much.

I woke up in intensive care to find a worried girlfriend and parents and drips a plenty in my arms feeding me, delivering antibiotics and painkilling relief. Plus I had a breathing mask on so big it made me feel like a robot.

I kept on trying to have conversations but mid sentence my eyes would roll back and I'd fall asleep again. Hilarious apparently everyone if I hadn't been so sick.

Eventually everyone left to let me get some rest. The nursing staff were great checking me frequently throughout the night and Santa even brought me an orange juice at 6am Christmas morning. I managed some more water and juice around 7am and was told I could have breky at 8am. Manage that ok and they hoped to discharge me around 11am.

So after completing more bloods which showed the infection has cleared, keeping down my breakfast and a successful waterworks demonstration, I was discharged to my family and made it home for Christmas lunch and dinner.

The first few days post op at home were hell (staying with my parents a week to recover which greatly assists).

Starting to feel much better and trying to use Endone at night only, Panadol during the day if needed.

Off work for at least this week. Thank goodness the cricket, 20/20, A League, NBL is on. Not bored!

Anyone else got appendix stories?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back