Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all of this debate is the fact that until the AFL has a club in Tassie in can never be considered a National sport

Not really a fact or debate. The sport as it were is played in every state with clubs and teams of both sexes in every state. Not having a team in the top league doesnt change that. (nor for that matter is the AFL any less of a national competition because of it - theres no definition of national competition that requires a team in every state or province or major city or indeed, any qualifier, beyond it needing to be the major or premier competition of its kind in the country)

Not really a fact or debate. The sport as it were is played in every state with clubs and teams of both sexes in every state. Not having a team in the top league doesnt change that. (nor for that matter is the AFL any less of a national competition because of it - theres no definition of national competition that requires a team in every state or province or major city or indeed, any qualifier, beyond it needing to be the major or premier competition of its kind in the country)
I know your thoughts on this and the fact remains that the AFL can't be called a national comp until it has a a team in a footie state like Tassie it can never be considered a national comp.
That Tassie doesn't have a AFL club at the moment is a total joke

I know your thoughts on this and the fact remains that the AFL can't be called a national comp until it has a a team in a footie state like Tassie it can never be considered a national comp.
That Tassie doesn't have a AFL club at the moment is a total joke

well apparently it can by many, your objection notwithstanding. And its footy, not footie.

And tell me, if your going to include Darwin with 150k, how can you preclude other football cities/regions which have similar populations?

Because a Darwin team would have unique and significant social benefits that no other region has.

Darwin probably won't happen, but there's a valid argument to be made that public money filling shortfalls could be a net benefit.

Launceston is a void.

Less than 4,000 at the game today. If Tassie really wanted to show that a new side would be viable, they would be much better off turning up and getting behind the games IMO.
No, they are voting with their feet at being served up a crap product.

Less than 4,000 at the game today. If Tassie really wanted to show that a new side would be viable, they would be much better off turning up and getting behind the games IMO.
why.

Hasn't worked in the past. I don't care about GWS or North and I am not spending $30 to give the AFL a message they are going to ignore anyway.

Viability won't be established by people showing up to games that don't represent them. I didn't go today, because I have no interest in the teams, but if Tassie was playing, I'd be there with bells on.

In previous years I've gone to all Hobart based games. I'm sick of chewing on the AFLs leftovers though. I actually loved seeing how ******* tiny the crowd was. I hope the next one is even less.

Give us a team, or we will move on and do other s**t. Can't wait to see the Jack Jumpers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In previous years I've gone to all Hobart based games. I'm sick of chewing on the AFLs leftovers though. I actually loved seeing how ******* tiny the crowd was. I hope the next one is even less.
But in how many of those years was the state trying to put it's best foot forward because they actually have an active application for their own team pending?

I empathise with your position, Tasmania has been an afterthought for the AFL for years and years and this matchup can't have been exciting for neutrals, but I'm concerned that it's awful timing to be taking such a stand.

Would you pay to watch north Melbourne and gws play at moment especially in shite weather if you didn’t follow either team The game would have been lucky to get 10-15 k in Melbourne and would have got a worse crown in Sydney we have had enough of fifo games I think that’s pretty clear

But in how many of those years was the state trying to put it's best foot forward because they actually have an active application for their own team pending?

I empathise with your position, Tasmania has been an afterthought for the AFL for years and years and this matchup can't have been exciting for neutrals, but I'm concerned that it's awful timing to be taking such a stand.
That’s thing we can’t win with the afl if 20,000 turned up yesterday they would say we support afl anyway even without a team which they have said in the past

If the AFL wanted us to have a team, we would have one. No other bid has needed an independant review.
That’s thing we can’t win with the afl if 20,000 turned up yesterday they would say we support afl anyway even without a team which they have said in the past
Precisely. The state has proved itself with a much larger sample size (120+ years) than just a single game. The passion in the state is dying and only the AFL is at fault. Hockey, Soccer and Basketball are all being taken up instead of AFL now in Tassie as there's no developmental pathway for AFL. There's nothing to be excited about.

The bottom of the ladder team against an expansion club - no thanks. Add to that the weather yesterday and ticketek charging $9 just to text me a ticket and I'd just rather stay at home. I'll always drive up to Launceston for Hawthorn games but wouldn't criticize neutral supporters for not bothering.

Last edited:
Surely it’s time for Papa Pete to end this farce and pull all money from it and send the blow ins back to Melbourne

If the AFL wanted us to have a team, we would have one. No other bid has needed an independant review.

Precisely. The state has proved itself with a much larger sample size (120+ years) than just a single game. The passion in the state is dying and only the AFL is at fault. Hockey, Soccer and Basketball are all being taken up instead of AFL now in Tassie as there's no developmental pathway for AFL. There's nothing to be excited about.

It really sounds like you two are just assuming the bid is guaranteed to fail.

No other bid has required review by the league. Thats because no bid has been entered that wasnt first proposed or investigated by the AFL itself - in most cases - particularly since 1991 - being a case of "well we're putting a license here, now put a team together to run it if you can" scenario. The league hasnt sought a Tasmanian license, this is unsolicited - if the AFL wanted you to have a team, they'd have said ok heres a license and the rest would just be details, instead the league has repeatedly said they dont believe its a viable proposition.

It really sounds like you two are just assuming the bid is guaranteed to fail.
You can make that three.

The AFL don't want a Tasmanian team and they will ensure, one way or another, that that is the outcome.

They simply don't care about the state or the game there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back